TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

At least the music's good

It's happened to us all, I'm sure. You've either bought or rented a game...maybe it's a sequel, maybe it's been getting lots of hype and has great production values, or it could have been recommended by a friend...

And it absolutely sucks. Hard. But not *totally.*

In your search for redeeming qualities, you find it's absolutely terrific to listen to, or the music gets stuck in your head.

Or, horror of horrors, the music is *so good* you press on regardless, torturing yourself just to listen to more.

Perfect example--Castlevania Curse of Darkness. The game sucks. It's a step backward from Lament of Innocence in every conceivable way, except for the terrific soundtrack. I actually didn't mind the tedious grinding and muddling through empty corridors quite so much because it may have the best soundtrack in a CV since SotN.

Megaman has hit many a high and many a low--but the great music is pretty much the only constant.

Oh, and Final Fantasy VII has a darn good soundtrack, too.

That's exactly how I felt about Curse of Darkness. The music in the intro was the best part of the whole game.

That's exactly how I felt about Curse of Darkness. The music in the intro was the best part of the whole game.

The battle with St. Germain was, IMO, genuinely awesome too. Actually using the ID skill in a useful fashion like that should have been a staple throughout the entire game.

Its not a game, but that is exactly how I feel about Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. When I come up with the list of positives for the movie, #1 is always the music. Its usually a bad sign when the music is the best part of a movie, and the movie isn't a musical or titled "The Blues Brothers".

As for games, Buck Bumble for the N64. I don't remember much about the game aside the fact the theme song of the game is really catchy.

Also, my current Avatar is an example of a soundtrack being way better than the game. (Since I change avatars often, the game is Mach Rider)

Suikoden 2, and the series as a whole has exceptional music. There are also a ton of arrangement albums and remixes of them that are worth buying. Mediocre games, great music.

I hate you for saying that.

SmackDown vs. Raw. Any game that has both Darkest Hour's "Convalescence" and Anthrax/Public Enemy's "Bring The Noise" owns soundtrack-wise.

I remember Comix Zone having a decent soundtrack to it, too. Though the game wasn't bad (generic side-scroller beat-'em-up, but with the comic book-y graphics and such it was a damn fun game to play), the soundtrack was cool.

WCW vs. The World had a solid puro-esque soundtrack, too.

Suikoden 2, and the series as a whole has exceptional music. There are also a ton of arrangement albums and remixes of them that are worth buying. Mediocre games, great music.

I hate you for saying that.

Well, at least you have a good reason.

Add DQVIII. I didn't think it was horrible, but the music is less tedious.