TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 6/18 - 6/24

Toronto's Dustin McGowan throws 8 innings of no hit baseball and gives up a hit to a bum in the 9th :( Toronto pitchers have the worst luck with that stuff. Dave Stieb had his infamous 8 2/3 IP no hitter, Halladay did the same to the Tigers back in 1998 I think, Shaun Marcum had a no hitter through 6 earlier this year before getting pulled, only to throw another 4 innings of no hit ball in his next start.

While I think the Mets have worse luck, not having any no-hitters yet, the Jays have had something like 9 no-hit bids broken up in the 9th. Seems pretty high for a 30 year history.

Didn't Halladay almost get a no hitter in his MLB Debut?

Toronto's Dustin McGowan throws 8 innings of no hit baseball and gives up a hit to a bum in the 9th :( Toronto pitchers have the worst luck with that stuff. Dave Stieb had his infamous 8 2/3 IP no hitter, Halladay did the same to the Tigers back in 1998 I think, Shaun Marcum had a no hitter through 6 earlier this year before getting pulled, only to throw another 4 innings of no hit ball in his next start.

While I think the Mets have worse luck, not having any no-hitters yet, the Jays have had something like 9 no-hit bids broken up in the 9th. Seems pretty high for a 30 year history.

Didn't Halladay almost get a no hitter in his MLB Debut?

Second start. Bobby Higginson hit a home run with two outs.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TO...199809270.shtml

Time of Game: 1:45. Wow.

It was the last game of the season, too. I've heard that most of the players had left already, or were at least in their street clothes, so it would have been a weird celebration on the mound if he had gotten it.

The cool thing about it was that Higginson's homer went into the Jays bullpen and was caught by Dave Steib.

so supposedly Mark Buehrle is almost a Red Sox. Don't know how I feel about that one.

Neither do I. It'd be nice to have another body in the rotation should Schilling have more shoulder trouble, but I don't know if starting pitching is THE pressing need right now.

Hawk and DJ

"They're gonna... I think it's gonna be a triple play!"

"This is BS. This is BS."

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/wrap.jsp?...p&team=away

Click on Top Play, and then "Guillen gets ejected."

Everyone should listen to the audio of the rundown. Ron Santo's great if for no other reason than he just sounds like the casual fan in his living room who's unaware everything he's saying is being broadcast.

Hawk is such an idiot. Where does he get this notion that there's a triple-play?

If there's ever a moment where I may feel sorry for the Sox' situation, I just need to think of Hawk. He makes a case for worst announcer in sports.

Guest George's Box

Oh, man. I looooooove Hawk Harrelson. I also enjoyed Darrin Jackson's complete failure to grasp the situation at hand, i.e. the obstruction by "Wanny," as they call Uribe. Now if I can hear Ed Farmer's take on this, I'll be overjoyed.

Actually, I don't believe that the game was protested, since no mention was made of it from my side of the broadcasting, so I guess Hawk was dadgum wrong.

The best was the play after that, where the guy got caught in a rundown off of 2nd.

'Don't worry about it! They'll find a way for you to get back there!'

Guest George's Box
so supposedly Mark Buehrle is almost a Red Sox. Don't know how I feel about that one.

Neither do I. It'd be nice to have another body in the rotation should Schilling have more shoulder trouble, but I don't know if starting pitching is THE pressing need right now.

"do you want the ace of the 2005 world champs"

"i guess it'd be another body"

Sox interim manager Joey Cora came out to file a protest but was not allowed to do so.

"He has to tell me what rule he is protesting," West said. "He said, 'I don't know what happened.' And he really didn't because he wasn't there for the argument. His hands were tied."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...2&cset=true

Moments after the Cubs' baserunning cirque de soleil ended Sunday and the umpires ruled everyone safe, White Sox radio play-by-play man Ed Farmer said: "Whoever makes this call, it's the wrong call. This is brutal."

Sox TV voice Hawk Harrelson called it "B.S." three times before proclaiming: "I'll guarantee you, this will be one protest that's upheld."

Neither Harrelson nor partner Darrin Jackson had any idea why the umpires huddled after the play.

If only someone on the telecast had been listening to Cubs radio play-by-play man Pat Hughes, who immediately identified the cause of the controversy.

"There's going to be interference called on the shortstop, [Juan] Uribe," Hughes said. "The runner from first was [Angel] Pagan. He smacked into the shortstop as he tried to round second base. And now the umpires will get together and sort it all out."

Farmer's analyst, Chris Singleton, also noticed the interference.

"Pagan and Uribe bumped pretty hard," he said. "That threw Pagan off."

But Farmer either wasn't listening to Singleton or didn't think the interference would be a factor in the call.

"I guarantee this: If [umpire] Joe West contradicts the play that happened, [Ozzie] Guillen's going to be tossed," Farmer said. "There should be two outs and [Mark] DeRosa at second."

Then a revved-up Farmer fired this off: "The blood in Ozzie Guillen's veins has started to heat up. If this play is reversed, he will come out of [the dugout] like there's a Chrysler engine attached to his backside."

But Guillen didn't even seem as fired up as Harrelson and Jackson.

Jackson: "It's not that confusing to me. They get [Felix] Pie and that's all there is to it. Pagan was called out. He's just a gone goose, as is Pie. I don't know why [Pagan] is even on the field. He was called out. It's really a straightforward play. … This could be the worst call I've ever seen."

Harrelson thought the umpires might call a triple play. After the umpires did just the opposite, Harrelson said: "I've never seen anything like that in my whole career, as a player coming up in Little League to D-ball to C-ball to A-ball to Triple A to the big leagues.

"This is absolute B.S. There should be two out and a man on second. And they've got the bases loaded and no out. Dadgum right this game's going to be played under protest."

After a replay showed Uribe's collision with Pagan, Harrelson said: "Anytime I've ever seen an obstruction play, they call a dead ball. A dead ball means that everything stops right there."

But in this case, everything was just getting started.

Guest George's Box

Hats off to Pat Hughes for having a fucking clue yesterday. (Oh, and Chris Singleton too, I guess.)

"He has to tell me what rule he is protesting," West said. "He said, 'I don't know what happened.' And he really didn't because he wasn't there for the argument. His hands were tied."

This made me laugh. The rundown itself made me groan, though.

Farmer either wasn't listening to Singleton

I guarantee this is exactly what happened.