TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 6/18 - 6/24

People are still voting for that washed up Craig Biggio?

Watch yourself...

EDIT: No, fuck that, I take it back. Biggio still can't come up in the clutch moments to fuckin help us win and givving back over six runs to LAA just goes to show that this will be another lack-luster season in which we don't produce shit.

I'm calling Pence traded away within two years for some "hometown hero" pitcher that can't win a fucking game to save his child's life.

Oy. I like Prince Fielder, but this is one of those situations where a guy's having a hot couple of months. Fielder is not better than Albert Pujols.

That's obviously true but I thought the All-Star game was about rewarding players having the best seasons to this point. Pujols struggled out the gate and Prince is putting up great numbers.

Yup.

Prince hit another homer last night...he only has one less than that A-Rod guy this season.

Oy. I like Prince Fielder, but this is one of those situations where a guy's having a hot couple of months. Fielder is not better than Albert Pujols.

That's obviously true but I thought the All-Star game was about rewarding players having the best seasons to this point. Pujols struggled out the gate and Prince is putting up great numbers.

It's not. It's about producing an exhibition featuring the game's greatest players. You determine that by looking at their recent body of work, but you don't limit that to two or three months because small samples will distort who the best players are.

As for this season, Pujols leads Fielder right now in win shares, 15 to 14. Pujols comes out ahead because he can field and he's hitting extremely well in clutch situations. Fielder's the starter in an All-Star game because he was better in May of 2007? That's ridiculous.

Eh, I always figured All-Star voting should really factor in the second half on the previous season, which probably gives the nod to Pujols, but I'm not going to complain at this point. Prince leads the NL in homers, and that's probably what most people are looking at.

Fielder is slugging .097 points higher than Pujols, he's having a better year. I doubt he's some flash in the pan either, considering he is quite young, and was decent last year. He's the future of the game, and he's already putting up big numbers, I don't see why he shouldn't be voted in. It's not a Chris Shelton scenario.

That still doesn't make him better than Pujols.

And I'd give him a couple years before we dub him the future of the game. Let's not forget who his old man is.

There are a lot of things I dislike about the All-Star game, but scenarios like Fielder over Pujols is not one of them. I don't understand what the big deal is. The guys that have the best first halves should be there. Place in history has nothing to do with it. Of course Pujols is better than Fielder. He's had a way better career thus far. But Prince is having an incredible year in 2007. If Fielder wins the fan vote, it won't be some travesty.

The last few years of his career, Cal Ripken won the fan vote at third base, even though he was past his prime. There's an example of when the fans gave the nod to the better historical player just because of his name value, which pretty much blocked everybody else from having a chance to start, no matter how good of a year they were having. Why should it be that way?

Why punish someone like Prince Fielder for having a great year? The All-Star game isn't about having the best players of all-time, or the best players of this era, or even the best players from last season. It's about having the best players at this moment. And at this moment, a guy like Prince Fielder is one of the best players.

humanoid, I think you summed it up pretty well. It's not like Prince had a bad season last year, either. He had 28 homers, 81 RBIs, and an OBP of .347. Basically, this season shows he's improving and not regressing, at least in the short term.

And the A.L. is pretty much set although Magglio Ordonez is making a late push on Ichiro which one would hope that doesn't happen as a Manny Ramirez, Vladimir Guerrero, Ordonez outfield would be mighty ugly defensively.

This is the one objection I have to the fan voting format. Bad choices I can excuse because you get that no matter what group you let choose the players. But there really needs to be separate distinctions between left, center and right fielders.

Jason Schmidt's going under the knife Wednesday because of a bum shoulder. Was there anyone who didn't know that was going to be a bad signing? I think if I were a Dodgers fan, I would've preferred no moves at all as opposed to years and years of Juan Pierre and Schmidt.

Someone needs to tell Elijah that acquisition and accusation are two separate word with two separate meanings.

Of all the things he's done, calling in here may have been the dumbest thing he's done.

Well, Hunter Pence just made the #1 webgem of the night. It wasn't quite Gary Matthews Jr., but it was pretty damn good-an over-the-shoulder basket catch that robbed Vlad Guerrero of a triple, and he ran into the wall for good measure.

Well, Hunter Pence just made the #1 webgem of the night. It wasn't quite Gary Matthews Jr., but it was pretty damn good-an over-the-shoulder basket catch that robbed Vlad Guerrero of a triple, and he ran into the wall for good measure.

Gary Matthews Sr. had the web gem of the night.

In tonight's much anticipated Brewers Report, Brewers beat the Giants 6-2 to take the series. Ben Sheets pitched a complete game.

Brewers have a 7.5 game lead on the Cubs and Cardinals at this point.

Griffey is reaching 600 pretty quickly with his 19th of the season. Barring the annual injuries, anyone think he has a realistic shot at 700? Or at the very least, reaching Mays?

Uh...maybe. He's averaging about 25 HRs/year for the last 4 years. He's 37 now...the question is if the annual injuries piling up will allow him to play for another 5-6 years or so. He could always spend a few years reliving the glory days in Seattle as a DH. Personally, I see him playing till he's 40 and getting 654 for his career.

Uh...maybe. He's averaging about 25 HRs/year for the last 4 years. He's 37 now...the question is if the annual injuries piling up will allow him to play for another 5-6 years or so. He could always spend a few years reliving the glory days in Seattle as a DH. Personally, I see him playing till he's 40 and getting 654 for his career.

Junior has been pretty strong about his refusal to be a DH. Unlike some others, I don't think he's willing to swallow his pride to boost his stats. Of course, if he has 660 within sight or even 700, he might change his tune.

He was pretty adamant about not shifting to RF either, but he's been a good little trooper thus far (more or less). I'm sure if the opportunity presented itself for Griffey to go back to Seattle, and that was the only way he could play and he had near Mays's record, he'd jump on it.

Guest George's Box

WHAAAAAAAAAAAT

What's the deal? I've read Barrett for Bowen (A BOWEN!!!!) and Barrett for Linebrink. I'd rather get Linebrink, but yeah, it seems like Barrett is outta here. Oh well. I became a fan of his in 2004, and it was awesome when he socked A.J., but this has been a pretty bad season for him thus far. It's probably time for him to go.

EDIT: nijwfodb2e9iuhindw9iu0vh83g5t74o5 Hendry you idiot what are you doing why do you trade for a backup catcher who is 3 for 26 throwing out runners when the team already has three catchers?? You fucking moron go work for the Orioles

EDIT 2: The newest report seems to be Barrett and cash for Bowen and a prospect named "Kyler Burke." We paid the Padres to take Barrett and took some crappy backup catcher. Baseball sodomy, folks.