TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

OAO ECW on Sci Fi thread - 06/26/07

i thought nitro and cena had a longer match on RAW earlier this year

sometime since september

don't know why i remember it

EDIT- october 23rd and december 11th last year

Well, although I don't think they will throw him in the main event, Boogeyman is a face too. I don't remember where Nunzio or Stevie lie right now, I think they are both utility tweeners and not in position to be pushed up, but it at least evens sides a little until another face is moved over.

I see what you are saying here, but look at Nitro vs Cena at the beginning of the year. Is it at all feasible for him to beat or go 45 minutes with Cena at this point? This was the logical next step in his growth and status. Your grievance only makes since if you are upset that he was given the title at this juncture in his career.

Yeah, I know the WWE was in a tough spot, but it makes zero sense to give Nitro the belt. He's known as a tag-team wrestler. And ever since Mercury got fired, he's done nothing but lose, lose, and lose. And suddenly outta nowhere this jobber gets what's supposedly a "World Championship"? And then gets beaten in his very next match by a "real" world champion? This makes the ECW title look way, way cheaper than any of the Vince bullshit ever did. It's stupid, and makes the ECW brand's top title look like the old European belt in terms of prestige.

Nitro looked like a million bucks by going long and hanging with Cena. There's more to putting someone over/giving them the rub than simply jobbing and this does far more for Nitro than getting a cheap win by cheating.

So... winning and losing don't matter? Nitro looks better by getting beaten than by beating someone? Hello Russo, hadn't seen you around in a while.

No but cheating to win, as it was brought up earlier in the thread, doesn't do anything for him or most others for that matter, especially as champion. I know, he's a heel and they should be cheating to win, and that's fine once in a while, just not when he should be gaining credibility with the belt and as a wrestler in order to shake off his current stigma as a JTTS who got a fluke win. It doesn't do anything for him or the already badly damaged title.

He's gonna look strong by giving Cena, the top guy in the company, a good, close fight. It's a just as good, if not better result than winning with a cheap, flukey roll-up with a grab of the ropes/weapons/run-ins/distractions/ref bumps and what not. The match did a lot for Nitro. Besides you should save the cheap stuff for actual feuds or once he's actually established.

As I said, there's simply more to putting one over than just wins and losses. Just as examples, in the extreme, how strong does Jarrett really look when he needs all that stuff I mentioned before as champion? Even a fluke pin as a result of any of the above doesn't do much for mid-card faces when they manage to occasionally pin the main event heel, especially if they never follow up on it, but that's another matter. Of course wins and losses are important, but what's the point if no one looks good either way. In short, what really, really matters are how those wins and losses are booked.

I don't think WWE has really ever hid the fact that the ECW title is a step below the other two world title belts. It's pretty obvious that ECW is the "C show".

So now some complete stranger who just joined this board is explaining to me exactly what my understanding of wrestling is. Groovy.

Hasbeen has been around for a while. Account problems caused him to re-registrer.

Sting going 45 minute broadway with Flair, THAT'S "the rub". Nitro getting beaten and pinned just like everyone else? How does that make him look tougher?

He lasted 20 minutes with the champ, nearly beat him on several occasions, and Cena really put him over strong at the end. You can get over by losing.

Nitro looked like a million bucks by going long and hanging with Cena. There's more to putting someone over/giving them the rub than simply jobbing and this does far more for Nitro than getting a cheap win by cheating.

But did anyone really see it? I mean, ECW is on late, and I think that the 7 year old Cena marks would be in bed by the time it comes on. It's like a tree falling in a forrest - if nobody hears it, does it make a noise? Well, if Cena "puts somebody over" but it's on ECW, does it really count?

But did anyone really see it? I mean, ECW is on late, and I think that the 7 year old Cena marks would be in bed by the time it comes on. It's like a tree falling in a forrest - if nobody hears it, does it make a noise? Well, if Cena "puts somebody over" but it's on ECW, does it really count?

don't know what you mean

that match was an hour earlier than most of his matches on RAW

now do the 7 year old cena fans know to tune in on tuesday??????

that, we don't know

Any reports on ratings for this show? I'm curious to see if there was a change given the news.

X: The fallout from the Benoit situation helped spike ECW on Tuesday night to a 1.78 rating, which was almost .2 of a point higher than last week.