TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

American Gangster

well, both guys have come a LONG way since Virtuosity (interesting seeing the role reversal) and Ridley Scott is usually reliable...plus the premise is cool so I suspect this will be a hit. Let's see if Denzel as a bad guy truely is gold.

didn't hate on it, Laz...though it is a subpar movie...I merely said they've both come a long way. They're making far better movies, both have won Best Actor Oscars since...sheesh, do I haveto spell it out, man?

I agree with that, Curry, but here's MY take on it: I don't see what was so great about Crowe's role in Gladiator that warranted that award.. Denzel had far superior roles to his role on Training Day, politics were at play when he won that...not to take away from the role, just saying.

Coming soon, American Gangster, directed by a Brit and starring an Aussie. (Not hating on it sight unseen, just think the irony's funny.)

I agree with that, Curry, but here's MY take on it: I don't see what was so great about Crowe's role in Gladiator that warranted that award.. Denzel had far superior roles to his role on Training Day, politics were at play when he won that...not to take away from the role, just saying.

But it was a damn good performance in a otherwise run of the mill movie. But he deserved something for X and Hurricane, so yeah, this was the "Okay...our fault". award.

But it was a damn good performance in a otherwise run of the mill movie. But he deserved something for X and Hurricane, so yeah, this was the "Okay...our fault". award.

on the flip side, I did like Ethan Hawke's performance, certainly one of HIS best.

on the flip side, I did like Ethan Hawke's performance, certainly one of HIS best.

The first couple of minutes of Assault on Precinct 13 was his best performance. Babling coked out guy was pretty fucking good.

I actually really liked Denzel in Training Day, but admittedly wasn't as good as Crowe's in A Beautiful Mind. But, while Crowe should have won for Beautiful Mind, he undeservedly won for Gladiator, and Denzel didn't get the one most say he deserved for Malcolm X or Philadelphia (as supporting).

I'm in the minority that think Denzel didn't deserve it for Malcolm, but that's because I *loved* Pacino's performance in A Scent of a Woman.

Yah, it was a freakin miscarrige of justice Denzel didnt win for Hurricane.

I love Denzel, but have only really liked 1 of his previous 4 or 5, so I am really pumped for this one.

BTW, I think Denzel in Remember the Titans is great for a Disney flick.

I'm surprised so many watned him to win for The Hurricane, I thought Kevin Spacey did much better. I didn't like Hurricane overall though, and the fact that it was a VERY glowing portrayal of Rubin Carter when many feel he didn't deserve as much recognition didn't help matters. Still, Denzel did a great job with what he had, but I thought all the other factors made Spacey's performance that much better.

I still think the shopping bag scene is stupid though.