TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/9 - 7/15

Nah, Elmsworth's been ripping the cover off the ball at AA, to the tune of a 34.6 VORP. Cornell, on the other hand is hit or miss. If he can learn to throw his changeup for strikes to left-handed batters, I imagine he'll get a Sept. callup.

Burke isn't going to be traded. He makes the front office jizz and he seriously deserves a shot to play 2nd. He's going to get the majority of playing time the 2nd half of the year. Luke Scott has little to no value. For a lefty power bat, he has little power and he's about the streakiest damn hitter I've ever seen. Two games on, three months off, two games on, three months off, repeat ad nauseam. Ensberg seems like he should be doing better than he is. He's got a really good eye at the plate. If he was hitting more than .221 and he had more XBH, he would seem to be a Billy Beane type player-works long counts, draws walks, etc., but he doesn't, so he's not gonna go anywhere. The Astros really don't have any options at AAA that are close to being ready at 3rd, so I don't think they'll trade Lamb. I hope he's going to become an everyday player, but he's a FA at the end of the season. Still, I would hope that he'll stay in Houston and take over the everyday slot at 3rd next year.

Of course, the Astros COULD still go on a hot streak and win the division...If all the chips fall in the right places and everything....

Vivalaultra:Boundless optimism::Czech:Sarcastic remarks

Guest •

I pull for the A's to do well, but it's over for them. Seattle's gonna pass Cleveland for the wild card, and Los Angeles is too good to beat for the West.

And just to add the furthest the A's were out of the playoffs after 92 games in the previous eight seasons was six games in 2001. That team was loaded and won a ridiculous 54 of their last 70 games to win the wild card. A's right now stand 10.5 games out of the playoffs.

At this point I just want their string of winning seasons to continue which I'm not giving up hope on but playoffs...PLAYOFFS!? Forget it.

Speaking of the AL West, the Angels and Rangers are having a fun little game that is in extra innings. Jeret Weaver had a good outing (7 IP, 2 R, 0 ER, 4 H, 6 K, 2 BB, and 60 strikes on 96 pitches) ruined by Scott Shields in the eighth when he allowed two runs and blew a 4-2 lead. The two runs allowed by Weaver came on terrible miscues defensively by the Angels, one by Chone Figgins and one by Reggie Willits.

However, Figgins did do a lot of offensive damage thus far with three steals breaking the Angels club record for steals.

If the Angels win they probably gain another game over all the teams in the division and become the team with the best record in the American League due to Boston's 2-1 loss to Toronto today. It's currently two outs in the bottom of the 10th with a pitching change going on for the Rangers.

Well the Angels surely let one slip away today. They had the bases loaded with one out in the bottom of the ninth and were not able to convert and Mark Teixeira ended the game with a home run in the 11th. Nevermind the fact that they also could've won if they hadn't made two bone headed errors earlier in the game.