TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/9 - 7/15

Very nice, Carlos!

The ballpark's goofy dimensions are making this game way more interesting.

so what's this I hear about Roy Oswalt being available and targeted by the Red Sox? It was evidently in some newspaper and spoken of a bit at work today. I have yet to see the newspaper article but it was some older woman that works there that mentioned her husband having read it so I imagine there's a bit of validity to it.

Oswalt's not available. That came from an article in the Houston Chronicle. Some reporter down here was asking him hypothetically if he would waive his no-trade clause if the team wanted to trade him to say...The Red Sox or the Braves or somebody comprable. Oswalt said that he would never request a trade, but, if the team thought it was in their best interest to trade him, he would waive his no-trade clause. However, there is absolutely no way that Oswalt will ever be traded...ever. Never. There was some stink about it on the Astros' MLB board earlier today, but whoever posted about it didn't catch that the reporter was asking him hypothetically. I also read an article today that says that Drayton McClane doesn't want to trade his big players because he's still convinced the Astros can come back and win the division.

ok, cause I was told that it would be both Lidge and Oswalt and my response was "If it happened then goodbye farm system". That would literally cost Ellsbury, Bucholz, Bowden, Lars Anderson, Hansen, and Lowrie.

Oswalt is not available nor will be available. However, the Red Sox were inches away from acquiring Oswalt at the trade deadline last year. They were going to flip Andruw Jones for Oswalt but couldn't shake the Braves insisting on having Lester included in any deal.

so what's this I hear about Roy Oswalt being available and targeted by the Red Sox? It was evidently in some newspaper and spoken of a bit at work today. I have yet to see the newspaper article but it was some older woman that works there that mentioned her husband having read it so I imagine there's a bit of validity to it.

Oswalt's not available. That came from an article in the Houston Chronicle. Some reporter down here was asking him hypothetically if he would waive his no-trade clause if the team wanted to trade him to say...The Red Sox or the Braves or somebody comprable. Oswalt said that he would never request a trade, but, if the team thought it was in their best interest to trade him, he would waive his no-trade clause. However, there is absolutely no way that Oswalt will ever be traded...ever. Never. There was some stink about it on the Astros' MLB board earlier today, but whoever posted about it didn't catch that the reporter was asking him hypothetically. I also read an article today that says that Drayton McClane doesn't want to trade his big players because he's still convinced the Astros can come back and win the division.

ok, cause I was told that it would be both Lidge and Oswalt and my response was "If it happened then goodbye farm system". That would literally cost Ellsbury, Bucholz, Bowden, Lars Anderson, Hansen, and Lowrie.

Oswalt is not available nor will be available. However, the Red Sox were inches away from acquiring Oswalt at the trade deadline last year. They were going to flip Andruw Jones for Oswalt but couldn't shake the Braves insisting on having Lester included in any deal.

That story was also fabricated at best. I believe that story came out of the Astros, last year, were trying to acquire Tejada from Baltimore and Peter Angelos was being Peter Angelos and wouldn't accept ANYBODY that Houston was going to offer. Angelos asked for Oswalt with the thinking being that they could trade Oswalt for Miggy and then flip Oswalt to the Mets for Lastings Milledge and prospects. Tim Purpura didn't accept the deal but he also didn't flat out decline it because he was hoping that the Oswalt talks would lead to a different deal for Tejada. Then the story came out from Angelos or somebody else with the Orioles that Oswalt was available so suddenly the Astros' front office was flooded with calls about him, including the one from the Sox. However, Oswalt was never actually on the table and he signed his 6-year deal with a full no-trade clause. It was all speculation and hearsay from what I understand.

Now the story about Lidge being available was true and a Beckett/Lidge swap was discussed. God, how I wish that had happened.

People who think it's still 1998. Chris Isaak is from the area though, don't know about hairy pits Paula Cole.

EDIT: On the end of that second comment...nevermind

I'm really enjoying this game. Maybe because I didn't watch any of the derby or the celebrity softball crap (did they even do that this year?). Not even Fox can ruin this.

Edit: David Ortiz likes long walks on the beach and dinners by candlelight.

It's been 6 years, end the patriotic stretch.

Paula Cole and Chris Issak? Who is in charge of music at FOX?

I'd rather they pick a good singer than a current singer.

On a note, the PA announcer asked fans to stand and remove their hats. I don't remove my hat for God Bless America, on the basis that it is not the National Anthem and is not a national hymn. Am I going to far or is this justified?

Guest Smues

I'd say it's justified. You stand up and remove your hat before the game, for the anthem. MAYBE for the end of the 2001 season you do the same during God Bless America, 7th inning stretch. After that no. It doesn't help that the song itself sucks.

Protecting his investment, plus where would they put him in the game with no other bench players if it goes to extras? Again shows the silliness of trying to get everyone in the game.

I want extra innings. I want a tie.

It's a shame that most of the country missed the somewhat dramatic finish thanks to the stupid late start.

Unless Pujols has some secret injury, taking out quite possibly the best hitter not just sitting on the bench (the only one at that) but the best hitter on the entire team? It's two outs in the 9th. Bases loaded. Go for the kill.

It's a shame that most of the country missed the somewhat dramatic finish thanks to the stupid late start.

Unless Pujols has some secret injury, taking out quite possibly the best hitter not just sitting on the bench (the only one at that) but the best hitter on the entire team? It's two outs in the 9th. Bases loaded. Go for the kill.

Hell, the best hitter of the f'n decade.

LaRussa probably figured "if my team can't win the World Series, then dammit, no N.L. team will!!!"

Anyway believe Ichiro can't conduct an interview in English?

Yeah this is his 7th year in the league, shouldn't he be speaking English by now?

Yao speaks some English and he's only been around 5 years.

I'm pretty sure I heard Buck make a mention about LaRussa not being afraid to use Pujols at another position.

I think even Hudson and Rowand were wondering why Pujols was not pinch-hitting for either of them. Although, I do wonder what a lineup with Dmitri, Lee and Pujols would look like in the field.

Anyway believe Ichiro can't conduct an interview in English?

Yeah this is his 7th year in the league, shouldn't he be speaking English by now?

Thinking about it. Would you want to talk directly to Jeanne Zalysko?

You guys act like LaRussa has ever been a good on-field coach. This is the man who puts pitchers in to pinch-run so we can all laugh when they literally fall on their faces.