TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week In Baseball 7/16 - 7/22

The WGN announcers dogged him a little bit for misplaying Soriano's throw last night from left field.

Speaking of passed balls, in this game Guillermo Rodriguez had to leave the game for dehydration which was messing with his vision and composure behind the plate. This was pretty apparent after he allowed passed balls on back-to-back batters which allowed Soriano to score from third.

Soriano's sequence around the bags was interesting in the fifth because he got on after a walk by Cain, advanced to second on a passed ball when Theriot was batting on the first pitch of that at-bat, advanced to third on a wild pitch by Cain on a 3-2 count to Theriot, and then scored after the second passed ball during Ward's at-bat on a 1-1 count. Never seen anything like that happen before.

I went to a game at Trenton's Waterfront Park on Monday night. nothing to say on the players, since I wasn't watching/scouting closely. That is a magnificent facility however. Parking is cheap and convenient. Despite the use of a parking garage, the facility does a good job of directing traffic afterwards. Tickets are inexpensive (of course I've only been to one overpriced minor league park). Concessions are terrific with good prices, variety and healthy options available. Sightlines are good. Best of all, the stadium overlooks the Delaware River, meaning you look over the right field wall and see Pennsylvania.

Reds close the book on a sweep of the Braves in Atlanta, finally winning 5-4 today after a fifteen-inning afternoon battle. Having run out of position players, the last out of the game for Atlanta was pitcher/pinch hitter Kyle Davies striking out.

The biggest story there is the Reds bullpen going seven and a third innings and only giving up two runs. They were backed up by some tremendous defense, including two game-saving plays by Brandon Phillips in extra innings.

My 2nd favorite pitcher won a game and my favorite pitcher pitches tomorrow night! Yay, hopefully they'll take 2 of 3 from Seattle and catch Oakland at a real bad time and maybe sweep them..

I just had a giddy thought of the possibility that the Os rotation next year could be Bedard/Guthrie/Loewen/Penn/Olson. I honestly think they're going to try and trade Daniel Cabrera and give up on him. Trachsel and Benson will be gone and Wright will probably either be gone or out in the Bullpen.

Im a jinx! Bedards not pitching tonight due to a stiff neck and D-Cab is pitching instead, though Bedrock will pitch on friday vs Oakland (though I wont get to see it, damnit)

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the greatest Phillies advertisement to air in five years. A child asks Chase Utley to sign a ball, Chase happily complies. Next in line is Jamie Moyer.

"My wife asked you to sign this for her. She really likes you."

"Oh really? Hey, maybe I should come by sometime."

"I don't think so."

Reds close the book on a sweep of the Braves in Atlanta, finally winning 5-4 today after a fifteen-inning afternoon battle. Having run out of position players, the last out of the game for Atlanta was pitcher/pinch hitter Kyle Davies striking out.

The biggest story there is the Reds bullpen going seven and a third innings and only giving up two runs. They were backed up by some tremendous defense, including two game-saving plays by Brandon Phillips in extra innings.

About damn time. Thanks to my location I couldn't watch the game on mlbtv due to blackout restrictions but I may watch the wrap-up video on the mlb website later, it looked like a very strategic game from a quick glance at the box score.

Good to see Phillips do well. Too bad Weathers had to blow that save in the 10th or the game could've ended much sooner. Ross was his crappy self @ catcher with him going 0-for-6 but what the hell, we won the game and got the sweep so maybe there is hope we won't finish in the cellar of the NL Central division after all.

The Angels have optioned Ervin Santana back to AAA; I would ask an Angels who's going to slide into the rotation in his spot, but, since there are no Angels fans, I have no one to ask.

Also, after watching the Nationals/Astros series, I must say that I think the Angels, Twins, As, or some other team in need of a big bat at DH should look into acquiring Dmitri Young. Dude hits everything, and he's cheap this year. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Bowden just hangs on to him and gets draft picks instead of trading him, much like he did last year with Soriano.

The Angels have optioned Ervin Santana back to AAA; I would ask an Angels who's going to slide into the rotation in his spot, but, since there are no Angels fans, I have no one to ask.

Also, after watching the Nationals/Astros series, I must say that I think the Angels, Twins, As, or some other team in need of a big bat at DH should look into acquiring Dmitri Young. Dude hits everything, and he's cheap this year. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Bowden just hangs on to him and gets draft picks instead of trading him, much like he did last year with Soriano.

The Braves should try to get Dmitri Young. He can slide right in at first base to replace Thorman (and put Franco in a nice assisted living facility). If Bowden holds onto Dmitri, he should be fired. He didn't even have a team when Spring Training started. There's no way he creeps up high enough to warrant draft pick compensation.

As for Santana, he had to go back to AAA. Dude's a total mess right now.

Yeah, the Braves trading for Dmitri would be a good idea for them; I hadn't considered an NL team trying to get him as he's absolutely brutal defensively. As far as warranting a compensation draft pick, I think if he keeps up at the rate that he's at now, he will. There's a good chance that he's going to lead the NL in average.

So the Kendall in Chicago honeymoon is over already? I thought it would last at least a week.

That'll happen when you blow a play at the plate, let a ball go by you on a pitchout, and drop a foul pop-up in the span of five innings.

Yeah, the Braves trading for Dmitri would be a good idea for them; I hadn't considered an NL team trying to get him as he's absolutely brutal defensively. As far as warranting a compensation draft pick, I think if he keeps up at the rate that he's at now, he will. There's a good chance that he's going to lead the NL in average.

Compensation picks are determined based on performance the last two years. Missing most of last season will hurt Dmitri.

That is true...He did miss most of last year. Ah well, I'm sure that his performance in the 50 games he played last year plus his performace over this year will at least equal a low-level compensation pick. Either way, I don't think it would be worth holding on to him to get a low-level pick as opposed to trading him before the break for a legit prospect. Then again, Jim Bowden isn't a very good GM.

I'm going to see the Lexington Legends play Saturday night (they are a Single A affiliate for the Astros). Anyone have any prospects to recommend I keep an eye on when I'm down there?

Who else is watching Twins-Tigers game 2 tonight? Looks like its going to be Andrew Miller vs. Johan Santana.

Teams are loathe to trade talent these days though. Cash is one thing, but no one seems willing to deal prospects at all.

I wonder if there are some exploitable inefficiencies creeping into the market because nobody is willing to deal prospects. It's not like every prospect dealt is going to be Jeff Bagwell or Scott Kazmir. Most of these "untouchable" prospects won't even sniff a successful major league career.

I love prospects and all, but if the Red Sox can get real talent, they can give up anyone they like.

I'm going to see the Lexington Legends play Saturday night (they are a Single A affiliate for the Astros). Anyone have any prospects to recommend I keep an eye on when I'm down there?

Who else is watching Twins-Tigers game 2 tonight? Looks like its going to be Andrew Miller vs. Johan Santana.

None of the names pop out, except for Koby Clemens. That's more of a novelty.

Koby Clemens is the 3B there, although he's not actually a prospect as much as he was a plea bargain to get his Dad to sign with the Astros for another year in 2005. The Astros' 1st rd. pick from last season, Max Sapp, is the catcher. However, he's not that good, either. James Van Orstrand, who homered in the 2007 Futures Game, is an OF there; he's actually pretty good from what I hear. Yeah, the Lexingon Legends...they're not very good.

And I'm definitely going to take advantage of the MLB Extra Innings preview to watch the Tigers/Twins. I don't get to see Johan Santana pitch near as much as I'd like.

Thanks for the feedback. With the Legends being a Single-A club I never expect to see too much but the game I went to last year went to extra innings after the Legends hit a game tying home run with two outs (they ended up losing) so needless to say it was exciting. Considering that the Legends are 12-14 in the second half of A ball so far I agree that their team isn't very talented.

Magglio Ordonez is beating the Twins by himself right now driving in all three runs with a one out double in the 4th and a solo home run in the 6th. Tigers currently lead 3-1.

Update: Tigers ended up holding on to win 3-2. The Twins main enemy tonight was leaving runners stranded as they left the bases loaded twice in the game in the fifth and sixth innings. The Twins outhit the Tigers 10-6 and still lost. The game was pretty entertaining with loads of pitching changes by the Tigers and Jim Leyland getting thrown out of the game in the 9th inning. Johan Santana picked up the loss but did everything he could to keep the Twins in it by going eight innings and throwing 118 pitches (89 were strikes).

However, the game took a toll on both teams. Torii Hunter went out in the 4th inning with an apparent hamstring injury he suffered when beating out a double play. The Tigers then proceeded to lose both of their left field players as Craig Monroe left with a reported back injury after the top of the 5th inning and then lost Marcus Thames (who they moved from 1st to left field after the Monroe injury) in the bottom of the eighth when he suffered a leg injury after making a miraculous catch that ended the inning and possibly saved a run. Omar Infante finished the game for the Tigers in right field.

Also, I really like Pat Neshek as a Twins reliever. His delivery is pretty hard to follow and he's got some nice stuff on the mound. He struck out three (albeit surrendering a hit) to keep the Tigers grounded in the ninth after Santana left.

My team just lost 2 of 3 to the Royals and have had their division lead cut in half because they can't hit w/RISP.

My favourite team makes me sick. Everytime Marcum goes out there he always seems to have a quality start going while the offense does nothing and the wheels start falling off. A team with Vernon Wells, Frank Thomas, Lyle Overbay and Troy Glaus should be able to produce runs.