TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week In Baseball 7/16 - 7/22

My favorite team won last night. It was home run-ariffic.

Tight race in the NL Central...the Brewers were crappy going into the AS break, but have won their last three. The Cubs have been winning like crazy though, so it's going to be interesting to see if any more moves get made, other than Kendall going to the Cubs yesterday.

Brewers also called up Manny Parra yesterday, who pitched a no-hitter recently with AAA Nashville Sounds. Not sure if he'll be used as a starter or reliever, though.

I don't have a problem with the trade. Kendall's been awful, but so have Hill and Bowen. And it's not like the Cubs gave up someone like Marshall (as was initially reported). They gave up one of their horrible catchers and a Single A guy who might be a LOOGY down the line, but isn't even the top one of those in the Cubs' farm system. As long as the Cubs don't do something stupid like re-sign him after the season, I don't see much harm. Sure I would've preferred a catcher who is sure to hit, but those aren't too common.

Jason Kendall for Sean Marshall? My God. I don't know if I'd trade PENNY Marshall for Kendall.

Bobby Livingston had a decent start yesterday for the Reds, giving up 2 earned runs in 5 innings. He got in trouble a lot, so it wasn't great or anything. However, he went 4-4 at the plate, beating out a bunt and an infield hit. His last start was months ago and he gave up one run in 6 2/3. This has been a pretty good pick-up by Wayne Krivsky, as he got him off the waiver wire in a weird way. He was picked up off waivers and was immediately traded to the Phillies. Krivsky was monitoring the waiver wire at the time, thought it was against the rules and notified the league. They agreed it was against the rules, and he was placed back into waivers. The Reds were the next team in line, and voila!

Bobby Livingston had a decent start yesterday for the Reds, giving up 2 earned runs in 5 innings. He got in trouble a lot, so it wasn't great or anything. However, he went 4-4 at the plate, beating out a bunt and an infield hit. His last start was months ago and he gave up one run in 6 2/3. This has been a pretty good pick-up by Wayne Krivsky, as he got him off the waiver wire in a weird way. He was picked up off waivers and was immediately traded to the Phillies. Krivsky was monitoring the waiver wire at the time, thought it was against the rules and notified the league. They agreed it was against the rules, and he was placed back into waivers. The Reds were the next team in line, and voila!

I agreed with the waiver decision, for what it's worth. The Phillies and Devil Rays were clearly circumventing the system. That said, Livingston has allowed 25 hits in 17 innings, and struck out five batters. It's smoke and mirrors.

Baseball America's Mid-Season Top 25. Enjoy!

1. Justin Upton, of, Diamondbacks

2. Jay Bruce, of, Reds

3. Cameron Maybin, of, Tigers

4. Evan Longoria, 3b, Devil Rays

5. Homer Bailey, rhp, Reds

6. Clayton Kershaw, lhp, Dodgers

7. Clay Buchholz, rhp, Red Sox

8. Jacob McGee, lhp, Devil Rays

9. Joba Chamberlain, rhp, Yankees

10. Adam Jones, of, Mariners

11. Wade Davis, rhp, Devil Rays

12. Colby Rasmus, of, Cardinals

13. Brandon Wood, 3b, Angels

14. Andrew McCutchen, of, Pirates

15. Fernando Martinez, of, Mets

16. Deolis Guerra, rhp, Mets

17. Travis Snider, of, Blue Jays

18. Joey Votto, 1b, Reds

19. Eric Hurley, rhp, Rangers

20. Nick Adenhart, rhp, Angels

21. Jeff Clement, c, Mariners

22. Carlos Carrasco, rhp, Phillies

23. Chuck Lofgren, lhp, Indians

24. Gio Gonzalez, lhp, White Sox

25. Reid Brignac, ss, Devil Rays

Ben Sheets is out 4 to 6 weeks. That puts Yovani Gallardo back in the rotation, I'd presume. I wonder if that'll affect the Brew Crew in a negative way.

Ben Sheets is out 4 to 6 weeks. That puts Yovani Gallardo back in the rotation, I'd presume. I wonder if that'll affect the Brew Crew in a negative way.

Well, yeah, losing an ace always sucks. Unfortunately, injuries and Ben Sheets aren't exactly unusual at this point.

Does Hughes not qualify because he's been injured?

Chamberlain has quickly become an "untouchable" in the system and I've even heard that some like him better than Hughes.

If they go by service time, Hughes has exceeded 45 days on the MLB roster.

108 Ks in 74 innings for Chamberlain. Ian Kennedy meanwhile has 123 Ks in 106.2 innings. The Yankees have some damned good young pitching for once.

Hughes may have crossed the threshold by being on the roster this whole season basically, even if it was on the DL. I doubt they would bump him that far just due to the injury.

If Carrasco gets traded for some stop gap starter I get to punch Gillick in the face right?

Hughes may have crossed the threshold by being on the roster this whole season basically, even if it was on the DL. I doubt they would bump him that far just due to the injury.

If Carrasco gets traded for some stop gap starter I get to punch Gillick in the face right?

Yeah.

Guest •

Man, Mike Fontenot is playing baseball like a contact sport: ran hard into first to force an error on a sacrifice bunt which scored Theriot from second, then slid hard into second to break up a potential double play. I like this guy. I mean, he's no David Eckstein, but hey.

EDIT: WGN is using "The Real Slim Shady" coming out of breaks. That doesn't feel right, given that the average age of the typical WGN listener is like 55.

16. Deolis Guerra, rhp, Mets

Never even heard of this guy until I just now looked up. Another 18-year-old-tons-of-potential kinda guy like Fernando Martinez, it seems.

You can tell tonite's Astros/Nationals game is important. Roy Oswalt came in in relief of Chris Sampson with 2 outs in the 7th to face Robert Fick (1 for 13 as a pinch-hitter). Of course, the loser of this game has the worst record in the NL, so good move by Phil to bring his Ace in for relief.

I want to join in on the fun...

MY FAVORITE TEAM WON A BASEBALL GAME!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!

And Brad Lidge got his first save of the season. That says a lot right there.

It took about two hours before Jason Kendall started hearing the boo birds at Wrigley. He's hitless, which isn't any shock, but he's made three defensive blunders: the play at the plate, what should have been ruled a pass ball on a pitchout, and failing to catch a popup behind the plate. That last one gave Molina new life and he promptly cashed in with a single. He's been lifted for a pinch-runner, who stole second and in a tied game, this could be huge.