TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

NFL Discussion Forumtable: 2007

The guys in 11-20 I'm thinking of here, by the way, are Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Michael Strahan, Junior Seau, and Tony Gonzalez.

Yeah, at least one of those guys should be in the top 10 over Seymour. And no Zach freakin' Thomas?

Ha. They didn't even put Thomas on the bubble or odd men out while guys like Calvin Johnson and Matt Leinart are on there. Hell, they put Brady Quinn and Tony Romo (funniest one of the whole thing) on the odd men out list. Thomas is a pretty safe bet to get quite a bit of votes for the Hall. Did the guy just forget or is Thomas that underrated? He's the type of guy that you have to run your plays around so that he doesn't get himself in the mix.

I didn't know that borderline top 15 (and worse) NFL QB's were candidates to get into the HOF. You sure would think so looking at that list.

I think the HOF is going to need to start allowing more players in per year. The waiting list is going to get awful crowded when the current generation retires.

Guest Vitamin X

Well especially with the ESPN hype machine in full effect. I think they just forgot about Zach Thomas.

I think consistency is the most important thing in a HOF player. That Wehrli guy (I do like his name) seems to have played for a long time for a team that was relatively decent, if uninspiring. 20 INT's and 2 defensive TD's in 13 years is not very impressive, though, but it is consistent. This would be the equivalent of Al Harris making the hall of fame.

I also find it interesting that Darren Sharper isn't on that list. He made quite a few Pro Bowls, and led the league in interceptions multiple times. I guess being the victim of two of the most famous Packer playoff collapses in history (The T.O. Catch, and 4th and 26) probably did him in though, didn't it?

The only guy in the top 10 that absolutely should not be there yet is Richard Seymour. Sorry, that is fucking ridiculous.

You obviously haven't seen that front 7 perform without Seymour. They don't stop the run as well and there is no pass rush at all. The only DEs I can think of that are better than Big-Sey are Peppers and Taylor and the reason Seymour is ahead of them on this list are those three rings he has.

He still doesn't deserve to be in the top ten, and that defense as a unit has a bunch of guys like that. Players benefit more from the system than vice versa in New England, as their revolving door-mentality has shown. When you want to talk about how good someone is, talking about how bad the team is without him is a nice exclamation point, but should not serve as the main point of your argument.

Walter Jones is top ten, maybe top five. As is Orlando Pace. Linemen get no love.

Zach Thomas must have just been a ridiculous oversight. There's no way they could have left him off if they remembered who he was.

Well especially with the ESPN hype machine in full effect. I think they just forgot about Zach Thomas.

I think consistency is the most important thing in a HOF player. That Wehrli guy (I do like his name) seems to have played for a long time for a team that was relatively decent, if uninspiring. 20 INT's and 2 defensive TD's in 13 years is not very impressive, though, but it is consistent. This would be the equivalent of Al Harris making the hall of fame.

I also find it interesting that Darren Sharper isn't on that list. He made quite a few Pro Bowls, and led the league in interceptions multiple times. I guess being the victim of two of the most famous Packer playoff collapses in history (The T.O. Catch, and 4th and 26) probably did him in though, didn't it?

That's 40 career interceptions, not 20. He was on the 1970's NFL All-Decade team, a seven-time Pro Bowler, and five time All-Pro. Roger Staubach once explained that he believed the term "shutdown corner" came from describing Wehrli.

Guest Vitamin X

Bah! Someone edited their post! I swore I read 20 there. Either way, those are much more impressive credentials. Alright, hall of famer he is.

is it really to much to ask to put Derrick Thomas in the HOF? This is getting stupid that he hasn't gotten in yet.

The NFL Hall of Fame is always an interesting bag for me. While I like that there is more than one or ZERO members each year, six almost seems much. I think some of the WR's are ranked a little low. I guess my question is how many years "of dominace" does there have to be to go into the equation. I also think O-Linemen get unfairly judged against. Case in point, Bengals RT Willie Anderson a 11-year vet, has 3 Pro Bowl appearances all in the last three years, when surprise-surprise the team won games. I just think OL get raw deals on Pro Bowl picks and HOF consideration.

According to FOX, Peyton Manning is the first player in history to win the league MVP, Super Bowl MVP and Pro Bowl MVP in the same season, last year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't LaDainian Tomlinson the league MVP?

Here's a really cool list ranking The 100 Greatest Quarterbacks of the Modern Era.

Once you get to the bottom of list, which will take a while, you begin to realize how few truly great quarterbacks there have been.

Tom Brady being 54 is Exhibit A as to never make a 'greatest' list purely based on stats.

Why not? It's one of the better ways to find these stuff out. It separates a Montana from a Trent Dilfer, for example, who wins just because he had a great defense backing him up and not too many mistakes to be made along the way.

Statistically Green and Bledsoe ARE ahead of Brady, if at the very least, due to them amassing more numbers over a longer career. This is a list based on NOW. In 10 years or whenever Brady retires, he will likely be in the top 10, if he continues as he is going along. The list isn't about who wins the most. It's about who PERSONALLY performed the best statistically. Brady had average seasons up until maybe 2 years ago, if that. It makes sense.

It's fine, the guy explains the formulas used fairly extensively at the beginning of the article, and links to football outsiders which is full of detailed statistical analysis. Did you want a more detailed breakdown Vern?

Yes, like why should people consider this a fair indicator of how good each qb is. Did he take into account stadiums, weather, VORP, talent surrounding the player.

Guest Vitamin X

Hey, I wouldn't complain. Fran Tarkenton got rated #3 of all time, only behind Montana and Unitas. That's some shit right there, even if I would put Tarkenton in my top 10.

I liked seeing Favre crack that at #9, which I feel makes sense because of all the interceptions he's thrown. Statistically speaking, he's a hell of a risk, but a very consistent risk. Best over 30 QB ever? I'm glad I don't feel like I'm the only person who feels that way. He's lost a lot on his deep ball accuracy, definitely, but here's a guy who still, at age 38 in October, with the right pieces around him could still throw for at least 20-25 TD's and 3000 yards, and hell used to be a lock for 30 TD's a season.

Interesting way of putting things, that's for sure. But I have my doubts with Marino and Unitas in today's game- they were very much pocket passers, and like Manning, would need a hell of a strong offensive line in front of them for them to be as effective as they were then today.

Statistically Green and Bledsoe ARE ahead of Brady, if at the very least, due to them amassing more numbers over a longer career. This is a list based on NOW. In 10 years or whenever Brady retires, he will likely be in the top 10, if he continues as he is going along. The list isn't about who wins the most. It's about who PERSONALLY performed the best statistically. Brady had average seasons up until maybe 2 years ago, if that. It makes sense.

By the criteria set by the list I guess it makes sense, but that's what I'm saying. I think the list itself is horrible because I don't agree with their criteria at all.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

As I'm sitting here watching the Bears beat the Texans on channel 5, I realize how much better it is to have the games locally produced than by the trained monkeys at Fox. Mike Ditka on color > Brian Baldinger and the rest of the Fox dopes. We get our hometown broadcasters for baseball, basketball, and hockey games, so figure out a way to do it for football, so that we don't have to play mute-the-TV-put-on-the-radio, which is always off by at least one play, to hear Jeff Joniak geek out about pigeons hanging out on the field. It's such a big improvement this way.

Oh, good, and channel 5 news at 10 = Anna Davlantes and Lauren Jiggetts.

Grossman looked good in his two series, especially in tandem with Greg Olsen. Brian Griese had an interception. Captain Neckbeard actually had a pretty good game, and looks like he trimmed down a little. Chris Leak didn't play. Hester had a decent reception or two, I believe. Garrett Wolfe looked pretty good on returns, but I'm still not sure about this move: I really like Hester better as the secret weapon, so to speak, and am skeptical as to how effective he'll be on offense.

This ad aired.

Guest Smues
This ad aired.

Oh my god that guys' commercials are real? After seeing "Flea Market, it's just like, it's just like, a mini, mall!" I was convinced it was just a joke made for youtube.

It's not only real, it's becoming a meme. Walter E Smithe commercials can be pretty funny, as far as furniture commercials go. I mean, it's no Eagle Man, but it's pretty good.