TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
luke-o

oAo Movie Rentals Thread

Just because I've got my subscription to Lovefilm back up and running (which means I can now get Wii games :))

What movies have you rented recently? What were they like? Discuss?

Flightplan

Was a good film, but it would have been better if I hadn't seen 3/4 of the film in the trailer when it came out. The only thing the trailer doesn't show is the lackluster ending.

Upcoming:

Kinky Boots

Blades of Glory

Catch and Release

Going to Peices: Rise and Fall of the Slasher film

Mortal Kombat Armageddon

Resident Evil 4

School of Scoundrels

The Illusionist

Number 23

This film is not yet rated

Transformers: The Game

Trauma Center Second Opinion

Bobby

Cooking Mama Wii

Bust a Move Wii

Children of Men

Ghost Rider

I Want Candy

Legend of The Dragon

The Prestige

I work at Hollywood Video, so I get free rentals. I only usually rent games. There's one movie that I must get because I love terrible movies so much. It's called the Gingerdead Man with Gary Busey. We only have one copy of it so I can never get a chance to rent it.

Alot of bad movies where the trailers mislead me into thinking it was one thing than when I turn it on its the complete opposite! DAMN YOU, KUMITE! I WANT MY $4.50 BACK! In the previews its all hype about the full contact kickboxing tournament with the Master Killer from the 36 Chambers Gordan Lui, as the coach. What the preview doesn't tell you that it is a Chinese remake of Rocky and that the whole movie is about the romance between the fighter and his Korean summer school teacher! So basically in the 2 hours that is the movie maybe 10 minutes is the actual tournament plus a 5 minute training montage with an American priest teaching him Tia Chi!

Undisputed II is basically Van Damn's In Hell but with Michael Jai White as the lead not bad for a direct-to-video movie. So, White is the champion making some extra money making some bad commercials for Russian Volka then he gets setup by the local mafia and is force to fight the prison champion. Is there anything cooler than a brit actor playing the part of a russian fight club champion? I don't think so. White dominates the fight in the first round with his boxing skills but in round 2 he is drugged and eventually gets KO'd. The mafia makes millions off of this fight and decides that there needs to be a rematch so White gets the only person he can trust as his corner man who just happens to be a lifer in a wheel chair. In the rematch they decide to make it into a crazy fight with both guys doing the Van Damn double kick in the air among other things that only happen the movies. At the end the hero wins the fight with the cliche training montage flashback as he breaks the russian's leg with a knee bar.

Next on my list the all of the Bloodsport and Kickboxer sequels.

Next on my list the all of the Bloodsport and Kickboxer sequels.

Sahsa Mitchell thanks you for your patronage of his fine cinematic work.

Big fan of the bad guy with the scarred eye, what's his name Tong Po?

Got This film is not yet rated, nice little documentary with some really good insights especially from Kevin Smith and Matt Stone, although I wonder why Trey didn't feature on it seen as though hes the director of the two.

I only rent through NetFlix now and it's stuff that I don't want to pay for (mainly box sets that are too much money). Right now I have Oz season 4 discs 1-3. Next up after I finish all 6 seasons I'm going to go though all 26 sets of the classic Dark Shadows.

I have blockbuster online and aside from the fact that I think Im going to be charged $25 instead of $18 for their 3 out/unlimited in store return program, I like it..but anyway..

Last movie I got was Sublime..and it wasnt bad but it was just..uh..wasnt that good either. I like the concept of the movie, but I just dont think it was very scary or anything..it was more laughably funny towards the end if anything.

The Number 23 was good and engaging right up until the stupid twist at the end...

And I fell asleep watching Dead Slilence.

Im looking forward to a movie called Cash Back that I saw the trailer for on HDNet Nothing But Trailers.

I've got NetFlix. Last night I watched The Last Shot with Alec Baldwin and Matthew Broderick. Aside from a painfully unfunny first 15 minutes (I almost turned the movie off), it was pretty good. I don't even remember this one being in theaters but I thought it had its moments. I'm just a sucker for movies about the making of a movie.

I just got Trees Lounge today, it's written by , directed by and starring Steve Buscemi. It also has Samuel L. Jackson, Daniel Baldwin and Chloe Sevigny (sp?). Buscemi's one of my favorite actors and I've been curious to see his directorial efforts so I put this one on the queue.

Just got ATHFCMFFT and must say that disc one is complete crap, ludacris, deplorable, unwatchable basically the best part was the metal intro song. I prefer the Deleted Movie cut from disc 2 plus the ending was better. And the all star specular x-mas special is great with the cast complaining that "Hollywood" made them cut out the best scenes.

Red Dragon is pretty good but Manhunter is better. I would imagine RD's climax is more like the book, but it's hard to beat Dolarhyde cranking up Iron Butterfly during the finale.

I hated Red Dragon.

Anyways, last week it was Masters of Horror (the episodes We All scream For Ice Cream and Valerie on the Stairs) and Zodiac (which is fucking amazing.)

Tonight it's a zombie movie called Gangs of the Dead and The Fiflth Element, which I haven't watched in a while.

I adored Red Dragon. The dynamic between Hannibal and Will was a lot more interesting than Hannibal/Clarice. ...And no comments from the peanut gallery :P

Recent rentals:

Fracture: Very good. Short enough that it doesn't outlast its welcome, yet lengthy enough that you get the full story needed. Very stylish too; I loved all the blends of warm colors to cold, juxtaposed/combined/contrasted seamlessly. Interesting twist, too. Hopkins at his mischievous best. If I had one complaint, it was the story focusing too much on Gosling's character. Its not that he's boring or anything, but the scenes with him at parties, flirting with his new boss were just throwaways, especially as she's the cliched love interest. She's too flat a character. Anyway good movie all around.

No money on the credit card for Netflix right now, so all my rentals are through Family Video, at a half-price subscription (new releases are only $1.30 for us). I can't decide if I want to rent Heroes and copy the discs, or buy the set (damn the case is appealing...)

luke-o, I'd love to know what you think of Blades of Glory when you see it =)

Trees Lounge: One of those movies that is very well acted but is generally kind of dull. I enjoyed it somewhat though and Buscemi was great as always. Next I'm getting Animal Factory with Willem Dafoe, Edward Furlong, Mickey Rourke, and Tom Arnold (as a violent rapist!) . I'm on a Steve Buscemi directed film kick.

luke-o, I'd love to know what you think of Blades of Glory when you see it =)

I'd imagine I'll write a review of it for the website i "work" for, but I'll let you know :)

Rented Sleepy Hollow the other night, forgot what a great movie it was. And it was really fun just watching the cast and saying 'They're in blank movie!" I swear, that movie had three Sith lords and a lot of the Harry Potter supporting cast.

I rented Rome Season 2 discs 1 and 2 via Netflix and Instant-Watch-Rented SuperSize Me. Both (err, all 3) were good. Oddly, Super-Size Me made me crave a Big Mac though i hadn't had one in months, no joke. Whoops.

Rome is fantastic. Titus Pullo is f'ing great.

Oddly, Super-Size Me made me crave a Big Mac though i hadn't had one in months, no joke. Whoops.

The same thing happened to me when I saw it in the cinema, guess the point of the film went over my head :P

I rented A Dirty Shame... man that's a fucked up film. But no where near as bad as Pink Flammingos

Just sent back Boys Don't Cry and Number 23, both were really good films. I know Number 23 got a lot of bad reviews, but I can't see why, I thought it was a decent enough flick.

Just watched The Lookout from netflix and it is fantastic. Along with Brick Joseph Gordon-Levitt is showing that he is a fantastic actor. This movie is just done really well in every aspect. There isn't as much action as I thought there would be, but the character development is so good that by the time you get to the action it's a lot more emotional than most thrillers.

I genuinely cared about the characters when things started to turn bad and I think that says a lot.

BUMP (since I've been renting a lot of movies lately)

I rented a couple of documentaries, American Hardcore and Slasher. Got a chance to watch the latter but not the former. Slasher was pretty damn entertaining and had a hell of a soundtrack. The Slasher looks like a cross between Steve O and a redneck version of John Waters. Surprised to see John Landis directed an IFC original documentary, didn't know his career had fallen that hard (then again looking at the movies he's directed in the past twenty years, it's easy to see why). Still a damn fun movie.

Recentley reneted The Illusionist which was phenominal, The Prestige which was ok, bit too long but a nice enough pay off, [Catch and Release[/i] which I enjoyed more than I should have, for the first time ever I actually enjoyed Garner and Olyphant.

I also rented Going to Peices: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film which was pretty ace but told you nothing you already knew.

EDIT: Oh, and School For Scoundrels was a nice paint by numbers comedy.

Guest A.BUTCHER'S HOUSE OF RIBS
Trees Lounge: One of those movies that is very well acted but is generally kind of dull. I enjoyed it somewhat though and Buscemi was great as always. Next I'm getting Animal Factory with Willem Dafoe, Edward Furlong, Mickey Rourke, and Tom Arnold (as a violent rapist!) . I'm on a Steve Buscemi directed film kick.

What did you think of Animal Factory?? I thought it was a pretty good flick. I loved Rourke in it. Also if you liked Animal Factory check out Straight Time with Dustin Hoffman, Harry Dean Stanton and Gary Busey. It's another film based on an Eddie Bunker book.