TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Twisted Intestine

This is why I don't like Religion

Also, most people do view their religion as the best one. They believe that their religion is what will square them with god, and Christians in particular believe that if you aren't Christian you won't go to heaven.

The "People were raised in the religion, so they just stick with it" is bullshit. Like I said, I was raised Christian for 16 years. I'm no longer Christian. Free thinking does exist!

So, if the only reason you are a Christian is because you were raised it, and you don't think it's the best one, take my advice. Leave your religion right now. Research other religions and see whats best for you. Or maybe, just have personal beliefs, and don't bother with any dogma at all.

Who said religion isn't a cult up there? Look, you have people following it just because it was all they were taught! Sounds pretty cult-like to me.

How, exactly, is cultural nationalism different, or moreover more acceptable, than religious pride? Both are dangerous, but the infinitely more wars caused by cultural nationalism seem to be mulled over for religious pride.

You can't blame people for not venturing outside themselves. You just can't. It's not a religious thing, it's not a cultural thing; it's a human being thing.

the Bible does not specifically instruct its followers to... fight to the death to defend their religion.

Yeah it does. Repeatedly. Of course most of that stuff is in the Old Testament, so a lot of sects get around that by just claiming that the first edition rules are no longer valid. But some of it still lingers on even in the NT.

the Bible does not specifically instruct its followers to... fight to the death to defend their religion.

Yeah it does. Repeatedly. Of course most of that stuff is in the Old Testament, so a lot of sects get around that by just claiming that the first edition rules are no longer valid. But some of it still lingers on even in the NT.

Cite? I included "to my knowledge" to indicate that I could be wrong.

Also, there are a fucking shitload of rules in the Old Testament, to pick one fish out of the barrel, that Christianity simply ignores.

I hate you, pbone. That is what Christianity really teaches. If you're not that, you defy your own religion. That is seriously what it wants from you.

Ok, 19 page Bible thread inserted here...

You people who are sort of ok with what the Bible says and are alright, you sicken me. I spit on you scum...

Hating people for their beliefs? Ironycakes.

You suck.

Let's say you never heard anything about the Bible, nobody ever told you about it, and your knowledge is zero. You just ran across it in a used bookstore. How many pages would you have to read before you said "Hey, this is the truth!" You'd throw it in the trash, and you're a liar if you say you wouldn't.

I accept the truths the Bible says, but they are not any divine prophecy. I could tell you the same things Jesus did. It's common fucking sense. There is nothing in the Bible... nothing... that we don't already know. And if the Bible helps some people become aware of these things, then great, the Bible is awesome, but it has been responsible for so much evil that as a whole, we should just get rid of it.

There are profound truths in the Bible, sure, but not so profound that we would never find them without it.

My absolute favorite passage in the Bible: They ask Jesus if they should pay taxes or not, and Jesus takes the coin and says "Whose image is this, and whose inscription?" [Caesars] "Then give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and give to God what is God's." That is one of the most brilliant things I have ever heard. I will love Jesus forever because of that. He ain't the son of god, but he's a fucking genius, and he said a lot of things which still mean a lot today. Jesus is awesome, that I won't deny.

Jesus is awesome, that I won't deny.

Jesus was way cool

Everybody liked Jesus

Everybody wanted to hang out with him

Anything he wanted to do, he did

He turned water into wine

And if he wanted to

He could have turned wheat into marijuana

Or sugar into cocaine

Or vitamin pills into amphetamines

He walked on the water

And swam on the land

He would tell these stories

And people would listen

He was really cool

If you were blind or lame

You just went to Jesus

And he would put his hands on you

And you would be healed

That's so cool

He could've played guitar better than Hendrix

He could've told the future

He could've baked the most delicious cake in the world

He could've scored more goals than Wayne Gretzky

He could've danced better than Barishnikov

Jesus could have been funnier than any comedian you can think of

Jesus was way cool

He told people to eat his body and drink his blood

That's so cool

Jesus was so cool

But then some people got jealous of how cool he was

So they killed him

But then he rose from the dead

He rose from the dead, danced around

Then went up to heaven

I mean, that's so cool

Jesus was way cool

No wonder there are so many Christians

Let's say you never heard anything about the Bible, nobody ever told you about it, and your knowledge is zero. You just ran across it in a used bookstore. How many pages would you have to read before you said "Hey, this is the truth!" You'd throw it in the trash, and you're a liar if you say you wouldn't.

Correct, I would not say "THIS IS THE TRUTH111" if I picked up a bible from a local bookstore, but I will detract different things from it, just like I would the Qur'an, Five Classics, Talmud, Kojiki, or Tripitaka. It pretty much circulates back to my main argument. The Bibles truths and teachings are relative and differ entirely to every person.

Concurrently, isn't every religious texts just a series of truths? The philosophical answer is no; the pragmatic answer is yes.

Ok, that's fine, and I will accept that my hatred of religion probably has to do with my upbringing.

We're ok. That's pretty much the main point of my philosophy. And whether it be from the Bible, the Qur'an, Five Classics, Talmud, Kojiki, or Tripitaka, that's ok. And let me hate it, that's my thing, I believe in nothing. Whatever it takes to get you through the day, I'll let you do that. But if it does come up in conversation, I will logically tear it to shreds. Just allow me that indulgence. Like, there was this Mormon girl I knew... and she was fine, all things about her: thumbs up. But if her beliefs came up, I would just riot on her. If you are confident in your beliefs, you should be ok with educated criticism.

If it makes you be a better person to believe in a Flying Spaghetti Monster, great. Just don't get mad if I challenge the logic of it.

And to think this is the same man who damn near reduced me to tears of rage and despair in the "Bible is literally true" thread back n tha day.

And to think this is the same man who damn near reduced me to tears of rage and despair in the "Bible is literally true" thread back n tha day.

When I did that, I was in my "discover myself" phase which lasted years, but that was how I was raised, so I said "Well, maybe it's true. Let's see how it feels from their end." And I gave it a shot... and I think I did pretty well. To this day, I think anyone who likes the Bible is in for a rude awakening with me, cause I seriously know it better than... anyone. I'll shut 'em down.

To this day, fucking nobody knows the Bible more than me. I'll shut 'em down. Nigga, I'll shut 'em down.

Think you know me? Nigga, I'll shut 'em down. Try me. I'll make you famous.

When I did that, I was in my "discover myself" phase which lasted years, but that was how I was raised, so I said "Well, maybe it's true. Let's see how it feels from their end." And I gave it a shot... and I think I did pretty well. To this day, I think anyone who likes the Bible is in for a rude awakening with me, cause I seriously know it better than... anyone. I'll shut 'em down.

To this day, fucking nobody knows the Bible more than me. I'll shut 'em down. Nigga, I'll shut 'em down.

Think you know me? Nigga, I'll shut 'em down. Try me. I'll make you famous.

The fact that you think you know the bible more then anyone else is complete bullshit. People have studied it over their entire lifetime. You have probably read it a few times and just assume your oppinions about the bible are correct. You think that just because you don't like religion that everyone else who follows one is either wrong or misguided. You say that we should get rid of religion and that everyone should believe in free thought. Religion is what helped us define our civilizations today. The bible is a guideline for life. It isn't meant to be taken literally as about 90% of it is metaphore, however you just don't understand why people follow it. You are generalizing everyone in the religion as someone that is going to war to fight for their beliefs. If someone challenges my beliefs like you that is fine, you are allowed to question it all you want. That doesn't give you the right though to critisize everyone who follows something you don't understand. You don't know the bible better then everyone, you may know it better then me but that still doesn't make you more knowlegable when it comes to discussing it. I am not critisizing you for not following the bible or other religions. But it is my belief that people who have accepted some sort of religion into their lives do end up being better people. In the same matter some other person that may have accepted religion into their life may become an extremist and then start a war over it. My point is that many people interpret religion in different ways. You have you oppinions I have mine, but that doesn't give you the right to take someones beliefs and just shit all over them just because you have a different oppinion about it.

Also, most people do view their religion as the best one. They believe that their religion is what will square them with god, and Christians in particular believe that if you aren't Christian you won't go to heaven.

The "People were raised in the religion, so they just stick with it" is bullshit. Like I said, I was raised Christian for 16 years. I'm no longer Christian. Free thinking does exist!

So, if the only reason you are a Christian is because you were raised it, and you don't think it's the best one, take my advice. Leave your religion right now. Research other religions and see whats best for you. Or maybe, just have personal beliefs, and don't bother with any dogma at all.

Who said religion isn't a cult up there? Look, you have people following it just because it was all they were taught! Sounds pretty cult-like to me.

I personally don't think that anyone who hasn't accepted religion won't be "square with god" I know plenty of people who don't accept religion into their lives, but they are still carring and loving people. Also I have faith in my religion so I really don't have a need to research others. However if christianity somehow failed me in my life then sure I might look into a few others to see if I'm, interested. It doesn't mean that I'm going to hate all christians. Religion to me at a very basic level is just my relationship with god. It's nobody else's business, including other christians. I personally hate the church system. I think it is a corrupt piece of bullshit, and you don't really need to go to church to believe in god. However the church does help others. Also I don't hold a grudge over people that are gay or lesbian, I am very accepting of them just as anyone else. Personally I hate other christians that don't accept gay people because it says very few times in the bible that it's against god's will. People should remain focussed on the other main points of the bible ie. help the poor, sick, hungry.

No, that's due to the people themselves. It's the same hypocrisy that means gays can't get married, but you can go have a lobster dinner, and steak dinner on a Friday.

No, I seriously understand it better than anyone. Studying the exact same words over an entire lifetime doesn't make you understand the words any better. It's more than reading it a few times, I know that fucking book. I get very offended when you call bullshit on my knowing it better than anyone because I know it better than anyone.

I do understand religion. Very well, actually. And I despise you, if you follow it, that doesn't mean I don't understand you. It means you are an idiot. And that's really all there is to it.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

A rabbi, a minister, and Milky walk into a bar. Setup to a joke, or setup to a theological summit/deathmatch?

He's overstating the case when he claims to know the Bible better than anyone (it's the elderly guys who have read all the original Hebrew and Aramaic scripts I'm thinking of), but it's true that Milky knows it better than at least a couple of people I've known who were professional religious scholars.

Ok, if someone has read all the original manuscripts, they probably know it better than me. But as it is a bunch of shit, spending that kind of time with it is a pretty futile effort, and I therefore think that you are stupid. So I think the amount that I know is a rational, good amount to know.

How, exactly, is cultural nationalism different, or moreover more acceptable, than religious pride? Both are dangerous, but the infinitely more wars caused by cultural nationalism seem to be mulled over for religious pride.

You can't blame people for not venturing outside themselves. You just can't. It's not a religious thing, it's not a cultural thing; it's a human being thing.

If you knew me, you'd know that I'm not a fan of nationalism either :P

I think boarders are bullshit. Why should people be governed differently and some people be rich and some starving with AIDS because of where they were born on the globe?

But then if I break it down it leads to no government, which is different than anarchy. People just living in their own little tribes, and helping out the other tribes they come in contact with if they can. Sure there'd be the greedy tribes who murder others to get their belongings, but at least that wouldn't be a wide scale genocide. Yeah, I'm also not a fan of technology. I figure we would be best if we were just cavemen. So would all the other species on this planet. Which is where the story of Adam and Eve rings true where they eat the fruit of knowledge and it brings curruption into the world. I believe our knowledge = ultimate curruption and destruction. That's what one of my tattoos represents (a dead tree with a single apple on it).

But then if I break it down it leads to no government, which is different than anarchy. People just living in their own little tribes, and helping out the other tribes they come in contact with if they can. Sure there'd be the greedy tribes who murder others to get their belongings, but at least that wouldn't be a wide scale genocide.

What? Are you fucking high? So you've never heard of Attila the Hun, Genghis Khan, Alexander the Great, Francisco Pizarro, any of the various conquering tyrants who didn't find it impossible to kill millions of people long before modern technology?

Yeah, I'm also not a fan of technology. I figure we would be best if we were just cavemen.

The fact that you're saying this ON A COMPUTER is all kinds of lol.

Sure they could kill alot of people.. But they can't drop a nuke and wipe out half the world.

And you're right, it is lol. But, thus is the world we live in. In an ideal world I think we shouldn't have ever evolved past apes.

Edit: And they didn't have all the technology, but they did have civilization..

And how would you stop evolution and the learning process?

Yeah, it's easier to kill people, but it's easier to save them with medicine too. That's why folks live past 30 now and mostly they didn't a couple millenia ago. Technology has brought us hot running water, the mass dissemination of ideas, antibiotics, microwave popcorn, and Monica Belluci. To trade all that just because you're afraid of getting shot would be plain stupid.

It's also created disease, wiped out a few species, put a hole in the o-zone layer, killed millions, and will eventually bring an end to the planet.

I wouldn't do anything to stop it. Much too late now. I will enjoy the popcorn while I can, but still feel none of this ever should have happened.

Most of those millions wouldn't ever have been born in the first place without technology.

And "bring an end to the planet"? Once again, you high? Even if we detonated every nuclear bomb on the planet simulatneously, the world itself would still be here. Humans might not be, but that's a different argument. We do not have the ability to destroy an entire globe.

Okay, usually people don't take it so literal when someone says the end of the planet. Alright, a rock floating in space will still be here. There'll be no more living things, and it will probably become uninhabitable.

Most of the millions not being here wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

twiztedmind is skipping merrily along into "I'm just a disillusioned intellectual" territory here. Don't stop, though, it's getting fun.

All I'm saying is that if we weren't much smarter than apes, planet Earth would be much better off.

Look at this place! Grids of buildings and streets. Everyone gets to live in their own little box! Society is fucked.

But yes, all I'll say is that The planet would be better off if we weren't much smarter than apes. Partly because I'm too lazy to go off on anything else, and partly because nobody here seems like they'd agree with me. And I'm not out to convince anyone of anything.