TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Beowulf

I have no fucking clue what that was but it doesn't look like what I think the "big" Hollywood version of Beowulf would have looked like...Grendal(if that was him) looked ridiculous and I think that they gave away his death in the fucking preview...I know red bands almost never get seen but damn...

I remember reading the book when I was in highschool, so I'm looking forward to it.

Also, I have to read it this week for a class, which brings a smile to my face.

I have no fucking clue what that was but it doesn't look like what I think the "big" Hollywood version of Beowulf would have looked like...Grendal(if that was him) looked ridiculous and I think that they gave away his death in the fucking preview...I know red bands almost never get seen but damn...

They spoiled a thousand-year old story?

You know what I meant..and upon second viewing it isn't actaully Grendal getting his you know what you know whated off...and there's already a Beowulf and Grendal movie out on DVD..I haven't seen it and have read mixed reviews but Gerard Butler is Beowulf so that's pretty cool...

While I like Christopher Lambert...whatever anyone does STAY far far away from his version of Beowulf...for the love of god stay away from that. I never even read the story growing up and I knew they fucked up an old story.

I'm looking forward to this movie, I hope its a faithful adaption this time. Angelina Jolie and Anthony Hopkins are in this so that's a plus.

While I like Christopher Lambert...whatever anyone does STAY far far away from his version of Beowulf...for the love of god stay away from that. I never even read the story growing up and I knew they fucked up an old story.

Word. As soon as I realized it was set in the future, I was already disgusted. Grendal looked cool though.

Has anyone seen the Beowulf and Grendal thats out on dvd right now with Gerard Butler? Is it any good?

It's been out for almost a year now and it's fucking awesome. The dude who plays Grendel, for never saying a word of English in the entire movie steals the whole thing. Plus it's got Stellan Skasgaard and Gerard Butler and they're both good.

I just saw it in 3D. I loved the visuals, though I ended up liking it more than loving it.

-Grendel and Wiglaf pretty much steal the show. Anthony Hopkins also obviously was having a blast with Hrothgar.

-Beowulf fights Grendel completely naked. There's some interesting um...placing of objects that remined me of Austin Powers.

-For a PG-13 movie, this is pretty damn violent.

-The movie isn't really a comedy, but don't go into it thinking it's going to take itself very seriously.

-The Queen is rather dull, as is Unferth.

The one with Butler kicked ass. It was more of a realistic(as it can be) version of Beowulf. Kinda made you feel sorry for Grendal.

Is the movie still cool in a regular theater? We don't have any nearby IMAX theaters, that I'm aware of.

Also...one thing I don't like about the previews...the movie doesn't seem like it "feels" like the written version. Am I wrong on this? It kind of looks like they're trying to be all 300 with it.

I saw it last night in a regular theater- in 3-D, too. I think the 3-D aspect of it blewme away more than the movie did. FOr all the high points, there were times the CGI was WAY below par (the fire, for instance, looked terrible, considering how good it looked a few years ago in Lord of the Rings). But all in all,not a bad little flick.

Disappointing. The animation was pretty bland and often lacked detail, the performances seemed to be good but the character's facial expressions were surprisingly wooden. Outside of the Lovecraft treatment of Grendel's mom, the monsters were all pretty dull and predictable looking. I like what Gaiman tried to do with Beowulf being a big bullshiter and questioning the hero myth, but the theme just didn't seem to come together. I also wasn't feeling the new "Excalibur" esque explantation for Grendel or the Dragon's origin, weak.

Looks interesting but it seems stupid to use CGI to recreate actor's faces. Why not just do it in live action?

I mean the CG was so "real" that the first time i saw the trailer, I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS CG..... but since I didnt know it was CG, i thought it didn't look very good.

The only thing that really interests me about this is the writing team. Something about teaming up the guy who wrote the Sandman comics and the guy who co-wrote Pulp Fiction makes me think it'll either be a train wreck or it'll be really awesome. Either way, not boring.

But, yeah, I'm waiting for DVD.

For those wondering what the differences are between literature and film:

In the poem,

Beowulf kills Grendel's mother, Hrothgar is not Grendel's father and doesn't kill himself, Beowulf becomes King of the Geats (not the Danes), the dragon is not Beowulf's son.