TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Secret Agent

Michigan tumbles out of the Top 25

I don't know. I believe football is more popular on a whole. Baseball is very regional. But I'm just being antagonistic because I hate when Al says that kind of thing. Why be a moderator of a folder that includes a sport he hates?

I agree, and I really dislike the way he handles fans of the sport here. But there's obviously a fairly large division between some baseball and some football fans; I myself didn't care much for baseball until Czech and I started talking about it a bit more recently, and I played it for the first time in years. I still love football far more than any other sport, but I can at least respect and appreciate the other ones. We have Agent to moderate for football and boxing threads though, so that's supposed to even it out.

In all seriousness, it's fairly well known that I am not much of a football fan. I don't pop into every football thread to make that known. If I have a weakness as a moderator it's that I don't monitor the football threads much. If there is a problem within them, or any portion of the folder, a poster should feel free to PM me. I rarely receive PMs, so I assume everything usually runs smoothly.

I hope the Badgers do well this season. I mean I don't like them since they are a big ten team, but I prefer them over Ohio State and Michigan. It's ashame that the Illini is such a shitty team again.

LSU says "You're welcome."

Illinois hasn't quite been the same since a low-rated LSU team went to the Sugar Bowl in Jan. 2002 and beat their asses.

(Same goes for Miami in the 2005 Peach Bowl and Notre Dame in the Jan. 2007 Sugar Bowl.)

Teke, ND hasn't been the same since BC made a game winning FG against them in 1993 that cost them the national title.

I always kinda thought Illinois was a one year fluke circa 2001. I don't recall them doing much before or after, so call them the college version of the 1998 Falcons.

As far as Miami goes, it's odd but it seems to me like that game vs. U of L in 2004 really did something to that program. The irony is that Miami did actually WIN that game, but look at the direction of the two programs since. Maybe it is a coincidence, who knows.

The best argument of my three for a collapse in the program after an LSU loss would be Miami.

Miami may have been teetering post-Louisville, but the LSU game was one of the worst drubbings in their history and, more importantly, the post-game brawl in the tunnel at the Georgia Dome was the beginning of the end for Larry Coker's career at The U.

Several Hurricanes tried to beat up LSU WR Dwayne Bowe after the game and failed miserably, ending up in the hospital for their trouble. (Bowe is a Miami native and had ribbed some Miami players he played against in HS a little bit. Some other members of the Miami team didn't take too kindly to that and started a fight.)

That was a warning sign that Coker was losing control well before the embarrassment of the Florida International game.

They haven't had a QB since Ken Dorsey. Who wasn't a great talent, but knew how to win.

Charlie Weis is doing a good of recruiting, so it will be interested to see if he can do anything witht the talent.

I always kinda thought Illinois was a one year fluke circa 2001. I don't recall them doing much before or after, so call them the college version of the 1998 Falcons.

It still puzzles me as to how both Illinois and Maryland made it to BCS bowls in the same year. In Illinois' case, how the heck did they get by the likes of Michigan, Ohio St., Penn St., Wisconsin, & Iowa? You'd figure one of those teams would have brushed aside the likes of Illinois to get the bid.

All I remember about that Illinois team was the Kurt Kittner to Brandon Lloyd combo. Michigan finished one game behind, with one of their losses coming in a dubious manner (the clock game against MSU). I have no clue who was on that Maryland team (EDIT: E.J. Henderson was on that team along with a couple other recognizable names).

In Illinois' case, how the heck did they get by the likes of Michigan, Ohio St., Penn St., Wisconsin, & Iowa?

I can explain all that.

Tressel was in his first year and they had problems with their starting QB getting a DUI before the Illinois game. They went 7-5. Michigan just wasn't that good, they had QB problems of their own, but, Illinois still lost to them. It didn't matter. Iowa were not very good. Penn State were dogshit, Zack Mills was in his first year there and he sucked. Wisconsin was a joke.

Illinois got hot in a year that many teams left the door open for them to get hot in. That said, all of those wins were relatively close ones. They had a great offense.