TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Secret Agent

Michigan tumbles out of the Top 25

I wouldn't have stuck this in the week 2 thread but considering the shakeup I figured it deserved it's own spot.

The final fallout from a disastrous opening weekend for Michigan came Tuesday, when the Wolverines dropped all the way out of The Associated Press Top 25, an unprecedented fall from No. 5 to unranked. Since the AP poll expanded to 25 teams in 1989, no team has taken a bigger tumble in one week.

After an opening college football weekend filled with blowouts and highlighted by Appalachian State's stunning 34-32 upset of Michigan at the Big House, there was little notable movement in the Top 25 other than the Wolverines.

Southern California was voted No. 1 by the media panel, but the Trojans lost some support. USC received 62 first-place votes in the preseason poll. A lackluster 38-10 victory over Idaho led to the Trojans dropping to 59 first-place votes.

No. 2 LSU picked up those first-place votes, receiving five. No. 3 West Virginia received one first-place vote, the same as it did in the preseason.

No. 4 Florida and No. 5 Wisconsin moved up two spots. Oklahoma, tied for fifth, moved up three spots. No. 7 Texas fell three spots after slogging through a 21-13 home victory over Arkansas State.

No. 9 Virginia Tech held its place and plays at LSU on Saturday.

No. 10 California moved up two spots after a 45-31 victory over Tennessee. The Volunteers dropped eight spots to No. 23.

Florida State also fell out of the rankings. The Seminoles were 19th heading into their season opener at Clemson and lost 24-18 in the Bowden Bowl.

Clemson moved into the rankings at No. 25 and Georgia Tech also moved into the Top 25. The Yellow Jackets were 21st after winning at Notre Dame 33-3.

As for Michigan, the Wolverines became the first ranked team from Division I-A, now known as the Bowl Subdivision, to lose to a team from I-AA, now known as the Championship Subdivision.

"It hurts because you don't like losing," Michigan linebacker Chris Graham said Monday. "But how far can you hold your head down? I'm not holding my head down at all. You've got to move on forward."

Michigan received 39 points from the media voters in the Top 25, including a 16th place vote by Wayne Phillips from The Greenville (Tenn.) Sun.

"I still think Michigan has a good football team," he said. "I think they're worthy of being ranked. They may prove me wrong."

Phillips said he gave Michigan some leeway because he's very familiar with Appalachian State, the two-time defending I-AA champions.

"They're a pretty darn good football team," he said. "If Michigan had lost to some of the other patsies some of the big teams played I could see dropping them out."

Appalachian State is not eligible for the AP Top 25, which only ranks Bowl Subdivision teams. The Wolverines host Oregon on Saturday.

Before Michigan's fall, Notre Dame held the ignominious record for largest drop in the rankings in the Top 25-era. The Fighting Irish dropped 16 spots - from No. 9 to No. 25 - after losing to Northwestern 17-15 on Sept. 3, 1995.

Texas dropped 15 spots in 1997, going from ninth to 24th after a 66-3 loss to UCLA in September 1997. Louisville also fell 15 spots - 11th to unranked - in September 2005 after losing to South Florida.

The highest ranked team to fall from the poll after one loss was No. 2 Oklahoma in 1959, when the AP was ranking the top 20 teams. Later that season Army went from No. 4 to unranked.

In 1950, Tennessee went from No. 4 to unranked in October and in 1960 Illinois fall out of the ranking from No. 4.

Here are the offical polls:

AP TOP 25

1 USC 1619

2 LSU 1542

3 West Virginia 1449

4 Florida 1346

5 Oklahoma 1275

5 Wisconsin 1275

7 Texas 1221

8 Louisville 1152

9 Virginia Tech 1085

10 California 1080

11 Georgia 959

12 Ohio State 940

13 UCLA 736

14 Penn State 662

15 Rutgers 659

16 Nebraska 541

17 Auburn 519

18 Arkansas 450

19 TCU 384

20 Hawaii 335

21 Georgia Tech 278

22 Boise State 267

23 Texas A&M 217

24 Tennessee 210

25 Clemson 195

COACHES TOP 25

1 USC 1486

2 LSU 1417

3 Florida 1341

4 West Virginia 1275

5 Wisconsin 1183

6 Oklahoma 1146

7 Texas 1136

8 Louisville 995

9 Virginia Tech 988

10 California 985

11 Ohio State 977

12 Georgia 796

13 Auburn 644

14 UCLA 607

15 Penn State 585

16 Rutgers 576

17 Nebraska 512

18 Arkansas 455

19 TCU 351

20 Boise State 315

21 Georgia Tech 311

22 Hawaii 269

23 Texas A&M 214

24 Tennessee 162

25 Boston College 153

Discuss!

I figured we could keep the other thread to discussion of week 2 football and laugh at Michigan here. I guess I should have named the subtitle "Week 1" poll not week 2. My bad.

Also, who cares if you were the first to post about it; that doesn't mean you're the only one who can mention anything else about it. I also included a little more than "LMAO! Michigan goes from #5 to unranked. Hilarious." If a mod doesn't want this they can delete it. So shut up, Matt Young, and go back to bed with your 13 year old girlfriend.

i figured Michigan was gonna have a hard drop, but i didnt think it would be off the list altogether, i thought they would fall to 20, i think its safe to say unless they win from this point onward they wont make a BCS Bowl Game

i figured Michigan was gonna have a hard drop, but i didnt think it would be off the list altogether, i thought they would fall to 20, i think its safe to say unless they win from this point onward they wont make a BCS Bowl Game

I was slightly surprised as well.

Usually when a team starts out the year rated, the pollsters are loathe to drop them out even when they shit the bed to start the year.

Michigan's aura of invulnerability being shattered this early in the year puts most of the Big Ten behind the eight-ball perception-wise.

(Ohio State is getting punished for Michigan's loss because it hurts their SoS, as Michigan is the toughest team they're supposed to face all year.)

The only Big Ten team not hurting image-wise right now, IMHO, is Wisconsin because Bielema appears to be a good coach and they didn't seem to lose much from last year beside LT Joe Thomas.

Guest Vitamin X
Also, who cares if you were the first to post about it; that doesn't mean you're the only one who can mention anything else about it. I also included a little more than "LMAO! Michigan goes from #5 to unranked. Hilarious." If a mod doesn't want this they can delete it. So shut up, Matt Young, and go back to bed with your 13 year old girlfriend.

Right, you copied and pasted an entire article which is easily accessible pretty much anywhere online, and doesn't confirm or say anything new. Way to add to the discussion.

And flaming MY is unnecessary as well.

I was the first to post about this. Did it really need a thread though?

Yes it does. Carry on.

No al, it really doesn't. I don't see what else could be said on the matter that can't or hasn't already been expressed in the college football thread.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad
I was the first to post about this. Did it really need a thread though?

Fuck you, Secret Agent, you 2nd rate Damaramu. Don't talk to me like that.

gay!

Meh..provides a place to not only talk about Michigan's drop but the overall rankings for the week, which I think would be a nice sub-thread. Keep the schedule talk in one thread, the rankings in another.

Texas' drop? Eh..yeah, they played horribly against Ark St, but with the amount of players suspended or hurt, doesn't surprise me to see them play like they did.

TCU is going to be a tough one, and even with a win over the frogs, I don't see us moving up all that much.

No al, it really doesn't. I don't see what else could be said on the matter that can't or hasn't already been expressed in the college football thread.

Because OaO threads are evil and discourage any real discussion, because you can't discuss a given topic for more than four hours until the next one comes up. If something doesn't deserve a thread, I'll determine that. CTDWAT trolls are annoying as hell. As far as I'm concerned, any legitimate topic of interest is fair game for its own thread.

I'm not sure which ESPN guy said it today (I believe it was Kuselias), but he had an issue with the voters walking the line and placing Michigan in that 30-40 range (which was good enough to put them in the "Others Receiving Votes" column). He said either get them out completely and put them as low as possible (because they lost to a 1-AA/FCS team) or leave them in the top 15 (because they're truly one of the best 15 teams and just had one bad game).

Guest Vitamin X

Because OaO threads are evil and discourage any real discussion, because you can't discuss a given topic for more than four hours until the next one comes up. If something doesn't deserve a thread, I'll determine that. CTDWAT trolls are annoying as hell. As far as I'm concerned, any legitimate topic of interest is fair game for its own thread.

No, I'm not talking about OaO threads here, we're talking about weekly threads, which this is regarding- a weekly poll, which has already been discussed in the first week thread. Furthermore, I resent your labeling a valid disagreement as "trolling", or "annoying as hell" as you should be dealing with the people you're moderating in a more helpful and far less narrow-minded, authoritative attitude.

This isn't a legitimate topic that warrants its own thread, as it was no great surprise that Michigan would fall hard after losing to a I-AA squad, even if they were ranked 5th in the country.

How are our lives adversely affected when multiple topics exist on a sport?

I hope the Badgers do well this season. I mean I don't like them since they are a big ten team, but I prefer them over Ohio State and Michigan. It's ashame that the Illini is such a shitty team again.

No, I'm not talking about OaO threads here, we're talking about weekly threads, which this is regarding- a weekly poll, which has already been discussed in the first week thread. Furthermore, I resent your labeling a valid disagreement as "trolling", or "annoying as hell" as you should be dealing with the people you're moderating in a more helpful and far less narrow-minded, authoritative attitude.

And now it's being discussed here, so no biggie. If I were authoritative, I would've tossed Secret Agent and Matt Young for flaming. Or better yet, ban football talk altogether. God is that tempting.

It's ashame that the Illini is such a shitty team again.

No, it really isn't. My hope is that a white guy from Northbrook dressed as a fake Indian will put on a black shirt to protest his own extinction before going out to drink at 6 in the morning on Unofficial St. Patrick's Day before driving drunk, crashing his car and leaving his teammate for dead to go play X-Box before he steals some laptops, and then maybe Champaign-Urbana will collapse on itself.

And now it's being discussed here, so no biggie. If I were authoritative, I would've tossed Secret Agent and Matt Young for flaming. Or better yet, ban football talk altogether. God is that tempting.

Too bad football is a lot more popular.

Guest Vitamin X

Is it? It feels to me like baseball overwhelms everything football related here, but that could just be al and his football hatin.

I don't know. I believe football is more popular on a whole. Baseball is very regional. But I'm just being antagonistic because I hate when Al says that kind of thing. Why be a moderator of a folder that includes a sport he hates?

I can understand why people are becoming tired of football. I was a huge fan years ago. But football has become so boring and slow paced. One play a minute, and even baseball has more action than that.

Football is by far the most popular sport in the US, but that's largely because it draws the casual fan better. It's more of a hunch than anything, but I think baseball fans are more die hard than football. Football has its popularity because it's an event. It's easy to get together for a Monday Night party, or go to the bar on a Sunday. Gambling is huge. Fantasy football is even bigger.

But when it comes to the obsessive fan, baseball is probably still ahead. And that is likely reflected on a message board. I happen to love both sports (and basketball for that matter, too), but baseball is just far more interesting to talk about.

Is it? It feels to me like baseball overwhelms everything football related here, but that could just be al and his football hatin.

Word.

That and baseball is such a long season and with so few games, there are only 16 weekly threads (more or less) for football.

Guest Vitamin X
I don't know. I believe football is more popular on a whole. Baseball is very regional. But I'm just being antagonistic because I hate when Al says that kind of thing. Why be a moderator of a folder that includes a sport he hates?

I agree, and I really dislike the way he handles fans of the sport here. But there's obviously a fairly large division between some baseball and some football fans; I myself didn't care much for baseball until Czech and I started talking about it a bit more recently, and I played it for the first time in years. I still love football far more than any other sport, but I can at least respect and appreciate the other ones. We have Agent to moderate for football and boxing threads though, so that's supposed to even it out.