TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Sandman Released :(

So much for that run, back to 300 lbs working gyms in California.

Since he was supposedly liked in the back, I'll assume that he failed a test or finally fucked up in the back.

I can't believe Balls Mahoney outlasted all the originals. (yeah, there is Stevie but he's never mentioned as an ecw original)

Since he was supposedly liked in the back, I'll assume that he failed a test or finally fucked up in the back.

I can't believe Balls Mahoney outlasted all the originals. (yeah, there is Stevie but he's never mentioned as an ecw original)

Not Tommy Dreamer.

Not Tommy Dreamer.

Tommy as well but I guess I was still thinking of him as the WWE office guy. Still, BALLS? Outside of his name, I never figured he'd keep himself under contract.

Funny how Sandman was one of the final people hanging around during the main event segment last night and is gone today.

This totally takes me off guard. Last night when he hit the ring for his match, he raised his arm with the cane and as a hell of a lot of fans did it along with him, I thought to myself just how awesome it is that Sandman is getting over in WWE, more and more each and every week. I actually thought that a lot, especially when the fans went quite crazy over thinking he actually won the GM battle royal match on RAW a while back.

And now this.

Weird.

One thing that I noticed is that he must have really fucked up his knee last night in the match with Santino. He was limping around pretty badly in the last segment too.

One thing that I noticed is that he must have really fucked up his knee last night in the match with Santino. He was limping around pretty badly in the last segment too.

I figured that was just selling but if you look back, he was sitting on the steps the entire time and laying on the ropes during that segment.

Edit: I hate to speculate but that's what we do here, isn't it? Sandman has a history of drug use and saying/doing the wrong thing and he probably did one or the other. It couldn't be a case of "nothing to do" since he was getting used pretty regular as the Godfather act.

Motherfucker. Call me crazy but I loved Sandman. I don't watch Raw or any WWE programming, but it was nice to know he was employed and doing well wherever he was. And after reading what Downhome said about how he was getting over this is really puzzling. :(

This totally takes me off guard. Last night when he hit the ring for his match, he raised his arm with the cane and as a hell of a lot of fans did it along with him, I thought to myself just how awesome it is that Sandman is getting over in WWE, more and more each and every week. I actually thought that a lot, especially when the fans went quite crazy over thinking he actually won the GM battle royal match on RAW a while back.

And now this.

Weird.

During Raw, I was trying to figure out how after all these years, The Sandman gimmick is still so over with the crowd.

Count me in with those who thinks there might be a bit of more than meets the eye to this story. Maybe the Undertaker was backstage and Sandman did not introduce himself...

Somehow Jim Duggan continues to draw a paycheck, which is mind boggling.

And now this.

Weird.

During Raw, I was trying to figure out how after all these years, The Sandman gimmick is still so over with the crowd.

He has the all-important factor called charisma and his gimmick is essentially, "man of the people", so he doesn't have to do much to stay over as long as he sticks with that.

Not to mention that he was getting over without his music, something many people didn't think would be possible. I wonder how over he could've been with that music in WWE.

This sucks.

I thought he was overrated in ECW (from what little I saw before the advent of DVDs and The History of ECW on 24/7) and pretty bland as Hardcore Hak and really I was not a fan of the guy at all. However, the fact he managed to get hired by the E AND last as long as he did, get the pops that he did, and get moved to the WWE's flagship show, I was very happy for him (plus I came around to him around 2005 for the sake of nostalgia).

Not to mention that he was getting over without his music, something many people didn't think would be possible. I wonder how over he could've been with that music in WWE.

I hate this train of thought, people also used to say "Respect" or "Miseria Cantare" were so integral to RVD and Punk, respectively, that the lack of that music would hurt them. I contend that the music was ultimately irrelevant for Sandman, it didn't hurt but it was more about the persona that was The Sandman. That personality, though severely decapitated, was still evident in the WWE version and that was the key attribute to his consistent overness. Besides, he still cam through the crowd and that was different then everyone else. Things like that helped, big time.

WWE RELEASES FORMER ECW WORLD CHAMPION

by Mike Johnson

World Wrestling Entertainment released former ECW World champion The Sandman today. Internally within the company, the release had been expected over the last 24 hours.

Sandman was hired by the company in June 2006 when they re-launched the ECW letters as a third WWE brand. After floating around the top of the ECW brand as a popular babyface, complete with a toned down version of his famous entrance, he was drafted to Raw several months back. He had most recently been seen last night against Santino Marella.

We'll have more on this later on PWInsider.com.

I still think the music would have helped. I do not think he would have been this over but here is a good Sandman video where the crowd goes banana for him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etF5YdJwBmY

If Charlie Haas come out to Enter Sandman, would the crowd go crazy for him? No. The theme added to the legend but without his ability to project charisma and get over with the crowd from both the original ECW and from the mainstream WWE, having that song as his theme song wouldn't matter.

This is puzzling. I don't get why WWE puts guys all over TV and releases them right after, and doesn't even job them out first. Sandman was over on Raw and didn't even job to Marella last night.

I'd love to see the Extreme World Order invade TNA. RVD, Sabu, Sandman, etc. and let Heyman manage them. Let em run roughshod over everyone.

This is puzzling. I don't get why WWE puts guys all over TV and releases them right after, and doesn't even job them out first. Sandman was over on Raw and didn't even job to Marella last night.

I'd love to see the Extreme World Order invade TNA. RVD, Sabu, Sandman, etc. and let Heyman manage them. Let em run roughshod over everyone.

Once again, someone instantly thinks of TNA and still thinks TNA would do things right. Why is that? Also, it'd be horrible.

At a time where people are being suspended left right and center, and others are 'quitting' why would they go and sack someone like The Sandman? This is sad.

Better yet, at a time where people are being suspended for drugs and other substance abuse, who would've thought we'd all be surprised that The Sandman is being fired? It's a shame, he really seemed to have things going in his favor. I always dug the guy, if not for his actual wrestling ability but at least for his endless amounts of charisma.