TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darthtiki

Hierarchy of Worst Owners in Sports

Wayne Huizenga for gutting the Marlins.

But he loaded the team up the season before to win a World Series. He should be given credit for that. Jerry Colangelo did virtually the same thing in Arizona four years later.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

And we established that we're talking about current owners, but what do you expect with Vern Gagne, the Minnesotan Razazteca? It's like he requires an instance of head trauma before he can post.

Guest cheetoe

I've been lurking these forums for years but this is the 1st time i truly felt compelled to respond to a thread. Peter Angelos is the absolute worst owner in sports today. He's taken a team that has one of the best ( if not the best) ballparks in baseball that plays in the AL east with games against the Sox and Yankees and driven the average yearly attendance to a little above 27,000. If it wasn't for the sellouts when the Sox and Yankees, mainly due to the fact that those teams fans travel to Baltimore for the games, that figure would be lower. I'm a season ticket holder and I was at the infamous 30-3 game earlier this season against the Rangers and I was at the game 2 nights ago against the Jays in which the O's gave up 8 runs in the 1st inning. It's literaly painful to watch this team. It's not due to the players or the manager/coaches, guys like Brian Roberts, Bedard, Jeremy Guthrie, ect, play hard and well. There isn't any denying their effort on the field and the coaching staff is one of the most experienced in baseball. This is a team that had the best winning record in professional sports from the 60's to the 80's, many home grown hall of famers and a legacy of fielding competitive teams every season. When Angelos bought the team, he mortaged the teams future, fired 2 very good managers in Johnny Oates and Davey Johnson, let players like Mike Mussina walk, made horrendous trades for players that either never saw the majors weren't major league quality, and let steroids run rampant in the clubhouse ( Palmerio, Segui, Gibbons, and others... ). He reportedly halted a request to finally put "Baltimore" back on the teams road jerseys, because a local sports talk radio DJ critisized his timing and motivation. The fans booed him during his speech after Cal Ripkens record breaking game during the "streak". He rarely shows up to sit in his owners box at the games because he knows how the fans would retaliate. This team generates revenue. It has a new cable TV contract with the MASN network, and the fans will come out if you give them reason to. You really have had to sit in Camden Yards one night over the last 10 season to really understand how no one even has any hope anymore that anything will ever change. :( It takes alot to accomplish that.

I'm also tempted to bring up Bob Irsay. The former owner of the Baltimore Colts. The man who traded John Unitas and made his players pay for their own 8x10's for autograph sessions as well as their travel expenses during the season, ran the team that basically invented the modern NFL style of offense into the ground , and packed up their gear and their hsitory and moved it to Indianapolis on one snowy night in 1984.

But i'm over that now. ;)

PS: I guess since I finally posted I'll have to show up and help MarvinisaLunatic support the Ravens in the NFL threads since there obviously isn't nearly enough Raven love here.

PSS: Chris Jericho , save_us_222. :headbang:

And we established that we're talking about current owners, but what do you expect with Vern Gagne, the Minnesotan Razazteca? It's like he requires an instance of head trauma before he can post.

Minnesotan Razazteca is low. At least compare me with another poster you hate, like KKK.

Back on topic. Carl Pohlad. Offered the Twins up for contraction, and flirted with North Carolina and Portland when he wanted a new stadium. He's also the richest owner in major league baseball, and the teams payroll is 19th in the league.

I can't put Peter Angelos at the top of the list solely because you can bring food and drink into Camden Yards.

And that's why Camden Yards is the best ballpark in Major League Baseball. I went down for three games in April of '05 (one against Detroit and a two game series against Boston) and when I found that out, I was overjoyed.

It's too bad though that the two best parks in the majors (PNC Park and the aforementioned Camden) are inhabited by two teams that are the drizzling shit.

Guest cheetoe
I can't put Peter Angelos at the top of the list solely because you can bring food and drink into Camden Yards.

The bonus with that is if you're willing to leave your seats, there is a section behind center field that's basically like a park within the ballpark with picnic tables, benches, trees and such. It's a great place to hang out and eat food you bring in. It's sits right on top of the visitors bullpen, and in the early 90's they sold standing room only tickets for $4 and people could go there to hang out and see the game on the cheap during the sellouts ( there were many believe it or not ). It was actually more fun to watch from there because you could harass the visitors relief guys. :D Great place to take kids... It really is a well designed ballpark, perfect mix of old and new. Now we just need a competitive team to play in it.

It's too bad though that the two best parks in the majors (PNC Park and the aforementioned Camden) are inhabited by two teams that are the drizzling shit.

It's funny, because I was just about to post this exact same thing in response as well.

The two best new (And definitely best if you take nostalgia out) ballparks are within 4-5 hours of each other...and the worst two organizations in recent times play there (Barring kansas city and tampa...though tampa shouldn't even have a baseball team)

It's gonna be more of the same for the pirates, that's for sure. new GM, same old shit.

Would you rather have an owner that is cheap or an owner who spends money unwisely?

How about the pirates?

they do both!

Owners are making profit hand over fist, but not putting anything into the team AND they let littlefield run rampant...I still feel the Matt Morris trade was made as a vengeance move knowing he was going to get fired soon...ridiculous.

James Dolan has mismanaged the Knicks in a way that others could only dream. Not to mention the Isiah Thomas sex scandal that he has suddenly found himself in the middle of.

At least he can still rock on his guitar.

And that's why Camden Yards is the best ballpark in Major League Baseball. I went down for three games in April of '05 (one against Detroit and a two game series against Boston) and when I found that out, I was overjoyed.

Honestly, for an out-of-towner like myself it makes it easier if the team sucks. I've driven two hours for Low A baseball so obviously team quality isn't a concern. A smaller crowd makes the experience easier.

I councur, it's definitely good for SAWX fans like myself, it's relatively easy (though getting a bit harder) to go down to Camden Yards and see The Sox there. Plus, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Fenway. It's incredible to be in a park with 40,000 Red Sox fans, 10-12 hours away from Boston.

Didn't Angelos complain about all of the Sox and Yankees fans coming down and selling out Camden Yards during the Os series' with them?

Guest cheetoe
I councur, it's definitely good for SAWX fans like myself, it's relatively easy (though getting a bit harder) to go down to Camden Yards and see The Sox there. Plus, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Fenway. It's incredible to be in a park with 40,000 Red Sox fans, 10-12 hours away from Boston.

Didn't Angelos complain about all of the Sox and Yankees fans coming down and selling out Camden Yards during the Os series' with them?

An Orioles low level front office guy once complained to the Baltimore Sun about corporate box seats being given away to Yank's fans. Peter Angelos publicly scolded him and announced that all fans were welcome in Camden Yards. He loves the sellouts. It's the only time the stadium sells out anymore. Most people in Baltimore are apathetic, and the local business owners make out like bandits. It's good for the city when those fans come to town and spend money. That being said the Orioles fans would much rather be buying the seats, but they are fed up with the the ownership. They would rather spend the money on Ravens tickets. Who wouldn't, the Ravens win.

Where would people rank Mike Ilitch with his combined ownership of the Wings and Tigers? I mean, he's never good at the onset (He bought the Wings in the early eighties, if I remember correctly), but after about 8 years, his teams become real contenders. Just wondering, because I think people forget that while the Wings have been dominant under him, it took a little while to build them into that dominant team. Also, look at his hiring of Randy Smith with the Tigers, who was atrocious. Just putting this up for discussion.

You all are just whining. No ownership is worse than the Atlanta Hawks.

We can't sign free agents except our own. By law. Because the ownership is still suing each other over the Joe Johnson deal of 3 years ago. Mike Woodson is still our coach because there is no one to really fire him.