TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Box Office Report 9/28-9/30

1 - The Game Plan Buena Vista Pictures Distribution $22,675,000 $22,675,000 1 3103

2 - The Kingdom Universal Pictures Distribution $17,694,000 $17,694,000 1 2793

3 1 Resident Evil: Extinction Screen Gems, Sony Pictures Releasing $8,000,000 $36,790,000 2 2828

4 2 Good Luck Chuck Lionsgate $6,300,000 $23,569,000 2 2612

5 4 3:10 to Yuma Lionsgate $4,160,000 $43,904,000 4 3006

6 3 The Brave One Warner Bros. Pictures Distribution $3,760,000 $30,875,000 3 2837

7 7 Mr. Woodcock New Line Cinema $3,000,000 $19,631,000 3 2195

8 5 Eastern Promises Focus Features $2,892,000 $11,234,000 3 1408

9 6 Sydney White Universal Pictures Distribution $2,685,000 $8,565,000 2 2106

10 13 Across the Universe Sony Pictures Releasing $2,050,000 $5,510,000 3 339

11 - Feast of Love MGM Distribution Company $1,754,000 $1,754,000 1 1200

12 9 The Bourne Ultimatum Universal Pictures, Universal Pictures International $1,746,000 $222,789,000 9 1461

Both the Scorpion King and Gridiron Gang were in the number one spot in the opening weekend, and I believe SK lasted a second week in the top spot. I can't confirm that any of his other movies were ever in the top spot though. I used Box Office Mojo to find this out in case any one was wondering my source.

The Rocks problems seem to be that all of his movies are grossly expensive. Like the budget for Walking Tall was like 60 million dollars. What the fuck did they spend 60 million dollars on, which looked like your average Walker Texas Ranger episode.

I haven't looked, the Spy Hunter budget has got to be crazy large!

EDIT: I looked...$90 million, but that was when John Woo and The Rock were attached to the film. Now apparently it's Paul Anderson (oh boy) and they're not sure if The Rock is still involved.

Why is everybody (not saying people here but all the writers of the reports I read) so shocked that The Game Plan beat The Kingdom? The Kingdom is a mildly controversial R-rated movie that's got decidedly mixed reviews and it's not like Jamie Foxx or Jennifer Garner are really huge box office stars. The Game Plan is the one kids movie out there right now.

Hey what's the word on The Heartbreak Kid? I'm mildly intrigued but it looks like it could be really terrible.

Its nice to see The Rock changing up his roles and still being successful. :headbang:

Its nice to see The Rock changing up his roles and still being successful. :headbang:

Oh, Douchebag. You're the same guy who went off on The Rock just last year for wanting to leave his past behind.

I think the Kingdom's mixed reviews hurt its opening weekend, but I think word of mouth will carry it through

Changing his roles? He played The Rock in the movie. He just changed his profession.

I meant that he's not sticking to just doing action roles. Its cool to see him do comedy too (Be Cool, Game Plan) so he won't be typecasted.

Oh, Douchebag. You're the same guy who went off on The Rock just last year for wanting to leave his past behind.

I don't have a problem with him being an actor. I just don't like the fact he is dropping The Rock name (Southland Tales will be his first movie with him credited just as Dwayne Johnson) and disappointed he won't work Wrestlemanias.

Yes. He should come back every year to take a spot someone who spent a year busting his ass in the ring. He's still being type casted. He's just playing a jock in a family movie instead of a gritty inspirational movie.

It's good he's being credited as Dwayne Johnson. Time to put wrestling behind him. He's never coming back, he's no longer The Rock.

And he has no reason to come back and work Wrestlemanias.

No one knows who Dwayne Johnson is.

If its an action movie, he should still be known was The Rock. Otherwise, fine, go with the Dwayne Johnson.

But all this is moot because there is a pretty good chance that Southland Tales is going to kill his career dead with mainstream audiences. Why they would even try to market this movie to the masses is beyond me as they know full well only a small segment of the population would like a odd, odd movie like this. And with the "star power" it has (meaning bunch of people that others have heard of but not exactly box office draws) there is going to be some buzz about it leading to the horrible reviews that come along with movies like this.

Granted, Southland Tales looks bad but how many times has a single movie killed an actor's career? The Rock will just go back to doing family comedies and action movies. I think they're just dumping the movie into theaters anyways without much hype so he should be fine.

Granted, Southland Tales looks bad but how many times has a single movie killed an actor's career?

Wow, I just looked that movie up and it's either going to be a gigantic terrible train wreck or so fucked up that it's awesome.

And with the "star power" it has (meaning bunch of people that others have heard of but not exactly box office draws) there is going to be some buzz about it leading to the horrible reviews that come along with movies like this.

Isn't Sarah Michelle Gellar a relatively big draw? I seem to remember some pretty bad movies of hers making more money than they should have. I may be wrong here though.

Wow, actually you are right. They her only real bomb was The Return(I am not counting Harvard Man or Simply Irresistible because seriously, the cost 11 million to make combined). I personally wouldn't have bet on it. But guess I was wrong.

I also don't count the Scooby Doo movies because they could have put me in a red wig and a dress and let me play the part and that movie still would have made serious money.