TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

Small sample size, anyone? By the way, this just proves what I've always though about these awards. The ones voting put far less thought into them than I do.

Did you even read all that stuff above the part you bolded? Because it does a pretty good job of explaining his thinking. Your argument is like watching the last 20 minutes of Star Wars and getting mad because "Who the fuck is this huge black robot with the Mufasa voice?"

Of course I read it. I just bolded the part towards the end for its stupidity. I'd be willing to concede the larger point about his voting(although I don't agree with his methodology at all), but to cite Beckett's performance in the four games you watched as reason to not vote for him seems particularly flimsy.

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

Besides Ed Sherman, on who else is the Chicago Tribune wasting money?

Jason Marquis: $6,375,000

Ryan Dempster: $5,500,000

Scott Eyre: $3,800,000

Henry Blanco: $2,800,000

Will Ohman: $1,600,000

Total: $20,075,000

Bad bad bad bad bad contracts. As much of that should be unloaded as possible. Blanco should be reassigned within the organization to some sort of coach or instructor, since he fields his position fairly well, but has no reason to play for the team. Scott Eyre was way too erratic last season to deem him untouchable; someone else can take a gamble on him if we don't have to pay for it. Ohman should just disappear.

Thoughts on the trades: whatevsies. Jacque Jones hated being here, but I'm pissed that we had to kick two million bucks to the Tigers just to take him off our hands. That's obscene. Craig Monroe brought little to the table, so if that was just a salary dump, I don't mind.

I like the Posada deal alot. 4 years may be steep, but he had to be brought back. Plus, he's had some (limited) experience at 1B in the past and I'm sure he could adiquately play the position by the end of the contract, or just plain be the DH. Giambi's contract is off the books after '08, so that opens up alot of possibilities for Posada, unless they go out and ink somebody big like Teixeira in the next few years.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/11/mets...d.html#comments

Good news: The Mets apparently want to try a tandem of Ramon Castro and Yorvit Torrealba behind the plate.

Bad news: They want to give Torrealba three years at fifteen million. That's ridiculous, especially considering that the only other team apparently interested in him is the Rockies.

I figure the only piece the Phils' offense needs at this point is a lefty outfield bat.

Possible candidates: Geoff Jenkins, Cliff Floyd, Shawn Green, Brad Wilkerson, Trot Nixon

I like the idea of a Shawn Green/Jayson Werth platoon.

Mariano Rivera wants four years guaranteed (Yanks have 3 years, $45 million on the table) and has instructed his agent to shop him around. Apparently Hank Steinbrenner (is this guy going to be worse than George?) made some disparaging comments about Mo's age that have potentially soured him on returning.

Hank doesn't think before he speaks, but he does have a point. The guy is like 38 and he wants 4 years? When Wagner, and even Posada got those contracts, they were/are younger than he is. 45 million at 3 years should be enough.

Guest Smues

And now we wait until next week for the MVP awards. I always hate how the awards take two weeks.

Finally!!!! AP flash:

(AP) - Baseball superstar Barry Bonds has been indicted on perjury and obstruction of justice charges.

The action comes after a four-year federal probe into whether the former Giants slugger lied under oath to a grand jury investigating steroid use by elite athletes.

The indictment comes three months after the 43-year-old Bonds passed Hank Aaron to become baseball's career home run leader.

I have no idea. The only place that I have heard the Lowell to the Yanks stuff at all is in this thread. They don't need him whatsoever.

It was on the main page of espn.com today, as well as mentioned in Olney's blog and on WEEI. I don't know who broke the story, but it's been out there since yesterday afternoon that they wanted him to come play 1B.

Bonds has been indicted!!!

Anyway, I think it's a little weird that everytime I see the A-Rod contract getting close to getting done headline, the money keeps growing. First it was 270, then 275, now I see 280. What the hell?

And I really hope the Yankees are doing that just to mess with the Red Sox.

Hank doesn't think before he speaks, but he does have a point. The guy is like 38 and he wants 4 years? When Wagner, and even Posada got those contracts, they were/are younger than he is. 45 million at 3 years should be enough.

If you want a free agent, you have to go the extra mile. Why should Rivera choose the Yankees if another team is offering him a similar offer? A team perhaps that doesn't appear to have a complete asshole as an owner. Dennis Eckersley and Hoyt Wilhelm were both effective closers at the age of 41.

Hank Steinbrenner might think speaking the truth makes him a great owner, and fans might agree with what he says. But it will sure as hell backfire when it means no one wants to work for you.

And, when you have your former manager saying things like this

NEW YORK -- Joe Torre figures Mariano Rivera will end up staying with the Yankees. If not, the Los Angeles Dodgers' new manager has an open spot waiting in his bullpen.

"Anybody who doesn't want him is crazy. Let's put it that way," Torre said Wednesday evening.

it's kinda hard to make a decision on where you want to be, considering that Torre has certainly made him feel wanted. Anyhow, I certainly want Rivera to come here. I don't care how much money he makes.