TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

I don't like the trade. I value Bourn's future/fill-in/pinch run ability and Geary's sometimes good pitching over Brad Lidge.

I don't HATE the trade, it really doesn't make that much of a difference, I'd just rather they go after some other needed positions. But I guess this sets up:

Hamels, Myers, Kendrick, Moyer (?), ? as the rotation now.

And I don't think Myers and Moyer are going to last the year. Kendrick, the jury is out on. We'll see.

GET SOME REAL STARTERS.

Remember last offseason when the Houston Astros were trying to get Josh Beckett for Brad Lidge? Looks like they missed their opportunity to sell high on him.

It's hard to evaluate Costanzo strictly from his numbers. Scouts say that he has plus power and the tools to play third base but he's rough around the edges. There is an apparent hitch in his swing and he's a little impatient at the plate. I guess if Houston's scouts/coaches think his problems are fixable, he could be an asset at third. If not, he's just a AAAA type.

Great move for Philly. They kill two birds with one stone by upgrading at closer and adding an elite starting pitcher to a thin rotation. I don't know how Lidge's gopher ball problems will play in Citizens, but he still has all the talent in the world. A rotation of Hamels/Meyers/Moyer/Kendrick/Eaton will definitely play in the National League.

I'm a big Pedro Feliz booster myself. Right handed power and an excellent defensive player. The offense doesn't concern me much since the team already led the league in runs scored. They could use a lefty corner bat in the outfield, but beyond that the offense as constructed is Spring Training ready.

Look, I love Feliz's defense at third as much as the next guy, but he has a career OBP of .288. He'll hit his 20 homers, but do almost nothing else offensively. I know the Phils have the best offense in baseball and can afford to take on a below average hitter, but this is akin to having a second pitcher hitting in the lineup (okay not that bad, but you get my point).

By the way, his most similar batter through age 32 is Scott Brosius. Maybe the Yankees should take a look at him because according to most sportswriters, he was the key to their 4 championships.

Brosius was nasty. You don't even know.

Melvin Mora wants to get traded. If they can't get Miguel Cabrera, and even if they can, I'd look into that. He's a solid righty with good defense.

Boston Herald is reporting that the Red Sox have made a three year offer to Lowell that the club described as "really strong." Although it was not presented as a take it or leave it offer, the team will look at a non-Cabrera trade or internal options like Jed Lowrie or Chris Carter (with Youk moving to 3rd) if the deal is rejected.

By the way, if you can't read between the lines, what all this means is that Lowell is as good as gone.

Eleven current free agents will be named in former Senator George Mitchell's report on steroids use in baseball and all 11 players have been notified by the commissioner's office, The Boston Globe reported on its Web site Thursday afternoon.

The newspaper, citing two agents who attended Wednesday's union meeting in New York, said the agents confirmed this news Thursday.

Jose Guillen, a free-agent linked to a Florida anti-aging clinic at the center of a federal investigation into illegal steroid sales, is one of the 11 players who allegedly bought steroids, The Globe reported.

By the way, his most similar batter through age 32 is Scott Brosius. Maybe the Yankees should take a look at him

They should. He's one of the 'bargain bin' guys I expect Cashman to consider. By all indications I think he's after a Feliz/Crede type who plays good-great defense and adds a bit of a power threat to the bottom of the lineup, but can also be platooned with Wilson Betemit. All this Miguel Cabrera, Scott Rolen, Miguel Tejada, Adrian Beltre etc. talk is driving me mad, that's not what this team needs.

By the way, his most similar batter through age 32 is Scott Brosius. Maybe the Yankees should take a look at him

They should. He's one of the 'bargain bin' guys I expect Cashman to consider. By all indications I think he's after a Feliz/Crede type who plays good-great defense and adds a bit of a power threat to the bottom of the lineup, but can also be platooned with Wilson Betemit. All this Miguel Cabrera, Scott Rolen, Miguel Tejada, Adrian Beltre etc. talk is driving me mad, that's not what this team needs.

Pedro Feliz is what the team needs? An A-Rod to Feliz/Betemit downgrade is going to cost you about 10 wins over the course of a season. Unless the team can make significant upgrades where they need them (starting pitching and up the middle defense), that would be a disastrous move.

Why wouldn't you want someone like Beltre? Excellent defender, good hitter and probably won't cost that much in terms of a trade. That's the kind of move that makes a lot of sense.

Because Beltre isn't actually being shopped, it's just idle speculation by sportswriters, "hey, Beltre would be a nice replacement for A-Rod, print it!" and all of a sudden half the Yankee fanbase thinks it's a realistic possibility. And even if he was available the Mariners would ask for far more than he's worth to us. If we could get him for some secondary prospects, sure, do the trade, but that wouldn't be the case.

The Yankees don't need to try and replace A-Rod's production all at once or even worry about getting it back from the next third baseman. Their starting pitching should be improved next year with Hughes and Chamberlain in the rotation, and they need to focus on getting Pettitte back. They also need to think about complimenting their pitchers with a better defensive unit, so whether the guy can mash or not, I want a no questions asked good defender at third. They have enough good hitters on the club that I'm really not worried about the offense suddenly being anemic, Cano will be moved up to the middle of the order where you'll see him become a big time run producer, Giambi at even 75-80% is an OPS machine and hopefully he's healthy next year, the defense and the bullpen are where the focus needs to be right now.

Rotoworld...

- Jose Guillen declined to exercise his $5 million option to return to the Mariners in 2008 and will be a free agent.

- General manager Kevin Towers said Thursday that Scott Hairston could be the Padres' center fielder in 2008 if they can't swing a trade this offseason.

- According to the Dallas Morning News, the Rangers have expressed interest in signing Kerry Wood.

- Agent Scott Boras said Eric Gagne would pursue a closer's role as a free agent this winter.

- Chan Ho Park says on his weblog that he's signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers.

Would any team actually sign Gagne as a closer at this point?

Probably. The Tigers, Cubs, Astros and Brewers (maybe) are all looking for a closer with limited options available. Boras should be able to sell the dominant performance in Texas and discount the time in Boston. Never underestimate the GM buying the "closers struggle in non-save situations" argument.

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

Why would the Cubs look to Eric Gagne when they have Marmol and Howry on the roster, both of whom had better seasons than Gagne did? If they sign anyone for the closer's role, it'll be a returning Kerry Wood, but it's practically inevitable that Marmol and Howry will close.

Why would the Cubs look to Eric Gagne when they have Marmol and Howry on the roster, both of whom had better seasons than Gagne did? If they sign anyone for the closer's role, it'll be a returning Kerry Wood, but it's practically inevitable that Marmol and Howry will close.

Forgot all about Marmol. I have seen Gagne's name surfacing in Cubs rumors, so take that as you will.

If people are wondering why Gagne might get a lot of looks this offseason, look no further than JC Romero asking for a three-year deal or Kyle Farnsworth being considered a hot trade commodity this offseason.

Cubs are allegedly close to offering KAZ MATSUI a THREE-YEAR deal. This is what I can't stand about this team. It's hard enough to look past their inability to develop a positional player who is any good, but they love chasing after mediocre talent with top dollars.

Forgot all about Marmol. I have seen Gagne's name surfacing in Cubs rumors, so take that as you will.

If people are wondering why Gagne might get a lot of looks this offseason, look no further than JC Romero asking for a three-year deal or Kyle Farnsworth being considered a hot trade commodity this offseason.

Romero has a 3.65 career ERA as a reliever, and he's left handed. Him and Scott Eyre look like the only lefty relievers worth a crap this offseason.

Something that occurred to me today. The Phillies lost out to the Marlins in the 2003 wild card hunt. Juan Pierre against the Phillies that year hit .397 with a .471 OBP. That seemed to plant the notion in Ed Wade's head that since Pierre beat them, they needed a player like him to win. They couldn't get Pierre of course, so they spent a full year lusting after his crappier version Endy Chavez until they finally traded Marlon Byrd to get him. Now as GM of the Houston Astros, Wade has started by acquiring another speed-and-defense center fielder.

Boston Herald is reporting that the Red Sox have made a three year offer to Lowell that the club described as "really strong." Although it was not presented as a take it or leave it offer, the team will look at a non-Cabrera trade or internal options like Jed Lowrie or Chris Carter (with Youk moving to 3rd) if the deal is rejected.

By the way, if you can't read between the lines, what all this means is that Lowell is as good as gone.

Three years, $12 million. Thanks for the time, Mike.

I won't fault either side in the Lowell negotiations when he eventually walks (probably to the Yankees). The Red Sox made a very fair offer, but Lowell knows that he can do better on the open market. He has to do what's best for him and his family.

One of my students rushed up to me all excited because, according to him, the front of the Houston Chronicle's Sports section said that the Houston Astros 'acquired' Dontrelle Willis. However, upon further inspection, it seems my student mistook the word 'acquired' for 'inquired'. Supposedly, the 'Stros asked about Dontrelle Willis and the response began with JR Towles, Troy Patton, and centerfield prospect Josh Flores. That seems much too steep for Dontrelle, especially coming off of one bad year and a mediocre year before that.

One of my students rushed up to me all excited because, according to him, the front of the Houston Chronicle's Sports section said that the Houston Astros 'acquired' Dontrelle Willis. However, upon further inspection, it seems my student mistook the word 'acquired' for 'inquired'. Supposedly, the 'Stros asked about Dontrelle Willis and the response began with JR Towles, Troy Patton, and centerfield prospect Josh Flores. That seems much too steep for Dontrelle, especially coming off of one bad year and a mediocre year before that.

I read something similar from one of the rumor sites. Houston asked what it would take to get Dontrelle and basically Florida said "I don't know, but I don't think you have it."

Why try to get Dontrelle anyways? He looks like a #4 masquerading as a #2 to me. Too much work at a young age and downward trending peripherals. I'd be leary.

A-Rod must hate Miguel Cabrera right about now. With the Red Sox and Yankees both having no interest, it's probably down to the Dodgers and Angels for A-Rod, the two teams that are rumored to be after Cabrera the hardest. Whichever one Cabrera goes to, A-Rod will basically have no leverage with the other. Of course, another team could step up in the A-Rod sweepstakes (I expect Baltimore to), but I don't see him getting anywhere close to that 350 million.

I wouldn't count the Red Sox out of the A-Rod sweepstakes. Once Lowell walks, the team can say, "Hey look, we tried to sign Lowell, we really did!" Then they can exercise the hard-on they've hard for A-Rod while trying to avoid the impending massive PR hit.

I won't fault either side in the Lowell negotiations when he eventually walks (probably to the Yankees). The Red Sox made a very fair offer, but Lowell knows that he can do better on the open market. He has to do what's best for him and his family.

I get what you're saying, but this is an example of what a different world athletes live in. How many people do you know that would think $12 million a year wouldn't be "enough" to support a family?