TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

Those leaderboards pass the smell test at least. I believe that information is in the 2008 Bill James Handbook.

CanadianChris, check out the actual Ford Frick ballot on mlb.com. Practically EVERY announcer is eligible for nomination by the fans. It doesn't make him close to the award.

True enough. I don't know why they even have fan voting for this award in the first place, though. Can we vote for Hall of Famers too?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=cale...t&type=lgns

2007-08 Major League Baseball Calendar

October 30, 2007

November 6-9 - General managers' meetings - Orlando, Florida

November 12 - AL & NL Rookie of the Year Awards announced

November 13 - AL Cy Young Award announced

November 14 - AL & NL Manager of the Year Awards announced

November 15 - NL Cy Young Award announced

November 19 - AL Most Valuable Player Award announced

November 20 - NL Most Valuable Player Award announced

December 1 - Last day for teams to offer salary arbitration

to their former players who became free agents.

December 3 - Hall of Fame Veterans Committee voting announced

December 3-6 - Baseball Winter Meetings - Nashville, Tennessee

December 6 - Major League Rule V Draft - Nashville, Tennessee

December 7 - Last day for free agents offered salary arbitration

to accept the offers.

December 12 - Last day for teams to offer 2008 contracts to

unsigned players.

----

January 5-15 - Salary arbitration filing

January 8 - Hall of Fame voting announced

January 18 - Exchange of salary arbitration figures

February 1-21 - Salary arbitration hearings

February 14 - Voluntary reporting date for pitchers, catchers and

injured players

February 19 - Voluntary reporting date for other players

February 26 - Mandatory reporting date

March 2-11 - Teams may renew contracts of unsigned players

March 12 - Last day to place a player on unconditional

release waivers

When do the awards get announced?

If I knew I'd tell you.

I think I heard something about the middle of November.

EDIT: Or just look one post above.

Edited by KingPK

Barry Bonds is now saying that he will boycott the Hall of Fame is they accept the asterisk ball from Mark Ecko. I'm not sure if this is just posturing or not, but I've always kind of liked the fact that Bonds has embraced a don't care attitude. It's not good for the game of baseball, but at least he doesn't put on a phony act to embrace something he's not (cough A-Rod).

So we were talking a little about Miguel Cabrera yesterday. Did anyone know that's he gone from 185 lbs. in 2003 to 270 at the end of this season? That's insane. I know the guy had some weight issues that needed to be taken care of, but that's like 17 pounds every year. He'll eat himself out of the league if he keeps this up. Definitely puts a wrinkle in his trade value.

Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell has removed his name from consideration for the Pittsburgh Pirates managerial opening and will be returning to Boston next season. To an outsider, I can't stress how much Farrell meant to this year's pitching staff. If he had a larger body of work, I'd be willing to call him one of the best in the league. Almost every pitcher on this year's staff outperformed expectations and nearly all of them directly credited that success to adjustments made by Farrell as the reason.

Some news... Credit Rotoworld.

- Dodgers declined LHP Randy Wolf's $9 million club option for 2008.

- Orioles declined RHP Kris Benson's $7.5 million club option for 2008.

- Rangers agreed to terms with RHP Joaquin Benoit on a two-year, $6 million contract.

Benoit gets a $500,000 bonus, $2.5 million in 2008 and $3 million in 2009

- Rockies exercised RHP Aaron Cook's $4.5 million option for 2008.

- A's general manager Billy Beane has been in contact with Shannon Stewart's agent and both sides have agreed they will try and bring Stewart back to Oakland.

- Giants named Carney Lansford hitting coach.

Lansford was a bench coach under Tony LaRussa in both Oakland (1994-95) and St. Louis (1997-98), but he hasn't been on a major league staff since. After eight years off, he took a job as the Rockies' Triple-A hitting coach a year ago.

- Hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo has agreed to remain with the Rangers for two more years.

Look at some of the pitchers who are available this offseason:

Prior, Wood, Colon, Benson, Wolf, Clement, Jennings... it's a sea of arm injuries. Some team is going to going to hit the jackpot by giving a low end deal to one of these guys and most of the others will end up blowing money on someone who'll pitch 30 innings. Free agency is such a crap shoot.

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

I believe the Cubs hold the rights to Prior for one last year, but it's highly likely that he's non-tendered.

Boston Red Sox picked up 2008 options on Tim Wakefield and Julian Tavarez. That likely signals the end of Curt Schilling in Boston. There are many other moves that they could end up making, but on the surface that fills the 5th starter and long man positions on next year's team.

I believe the Cubs hold the rights to Prior for one last year, but it's highly likely that he's non-tendered.

I think the Cubs should tender Prior, and they should broadcast the arbitration live. What kind of salary can you possibly ask for when you've produced a 7.21 ERA over nine starts in the last two seasons? (Note, I'm actively working on how much money I could ask.)

Guest Joseph Leonard Morgan

You have to look at more than Prior's 7.21 ERA. There's the leadership and grittiness that he brings to the Cubs. He's very consistent with his injuries, and always fights through them. That's something that really helps the ball club. I don't know if they can win the Central next year, and I don't know if they'll win 80 games, but Prior is a gamer.

I think the Cubs should tender Prior, and they should broadcast the arbitration live. What kind of salary can you possibly ask for when you've produced a 7.21 ERA over nine starts in the last two seasons? (Note, I'm actively working on how much money I could ask.)

I don't think that you can take a paycut of more than 20% from your previous year's salary. Mark Prior made $3.75 million last year.

You have to look at more than Prior's 7.21 ERA. There's the leadership and grittiness that he brings to the Cubs. He's very consistent with his injuries, and always fights through them. That's something that really helps the ball club. I don't know if they can win the Central next year, and I don't know if they'll win 80 games, but Prior is a gamer.

Now this is a gimmick account I can get behind.

Understand that an arbitration case isn't really about how good the player is. It's about what players with their experience and ability make, and determining a fair salary. In Mark Prior's case, his comparable pitchers are guys like John Patterson and Brandon Backe. He could make up to $750000 to a million, I don't think they can argue further than that. I think the best case for each side is a contract of maybe the league minimum, with innings pitched bonuses that can push it to a few million.

I don't think that you can take a paycut of more than 20% from your previous year's salary. Mark Prior made $3.75 million last year.

That too. Ok, flat out forget arbitration then. The rest of my previous post still stands.

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

Good thing we got rid of that potentially entertaining gimmick.

According to Michael Kay, the Red Sox are going after A-Rod.

Man, Michael Kay's a genius. You know that the President of Baseball Operations for the Red Sox personally said they'd go after him if he opted out months ago, right?

Still think there's a slim chance he ends up in Boston unless the number of years comes down. It's not so much the money, but Boston isn't going to commit ten years to the guy.

Tracy Ringolsby, a fairly credible baseball writer, says that Tim Lincecum can be had for an impact bat:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7400932...2&page_no=2

I can't see any scenario where this is possibly true. Lincecum is a future Cy contender with 6 years left until free agency. He has a somewhat violent delivery, but I can't see anyone, even someone as stupid as Brian Sabean, willing to part with this guy.

Tracy Ringolsby, a fairly credible baseball writer, says that Tim Lincecum can be had for an impact bat:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7400932...2&page_no=2

I can't see any scenario where this is possibly true. Lincecum is a future Cy contender with 6 years left until free agency. He has a somewhat violent delivery, but I can't see anyone, even someone as stupid as Brian Sabean, willing to part with this guy.

Depends on the "impact bat." If it's a hitter with similar pro experience (say B.J. Upton or Andy LaRoche), it makes a lot of sense.