Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

Guest Gym Class Fallout

BRING KYLE FARNSWORTH BACK TO THE NATIONAL LEAGUE

BRING BACK THE FAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Guest Smues
Girardi is going to get 3 years, 7.5 million. How do the Dodgers fans feel about becoming NY Yankees Lite?

7.5 total or 7.5 per year?

I think he'll go to either Philly or the Mets. He seems to like living in the Northeast now, so I doubt he'll go out west.

Here's a list of the teams Curt Shilling is willing to play for, in addition to Boston: Cleveland, Detroit, Anaheim, New York Mets, Philadelphia, Atlanta, L.A., S.D., Arizona, Chicago Cubs, St. Louis, Milwaukee.

<a href="http://38pitches.com/2007/10/30/free-agency-weird/" target="_blank">http://38pitches.com/2007/10/30/free-agency-weird/</a>

He needs to come back to the Phillies.

That list will crush the hopes of Astro fans here that want to sign Schilling and convince Pettitte to come home again.

Here's a list of the teams Curt Shilling is willing to play for, in addition to Boston: Cleveland, Detroit, Anaheim, New York Mets, Philadelphia, Atlanta, L.A., S.D., Arizona, Chicago Cubs, St. Louis, Milwaukee.

<a href="http://38pitches.com/2007/10/30/free-agency-weird/" target="_blank">http://38pitches.com/2007/10/30/free-agency-weird/</a>

That list will crush the hopes of Astro fans here that want to sign Schilling and convince Pettitte to come home again.

Astros fans should be happy. They get Brad Ausmus for another year.

The St. Louis Cardinals have hired John Mozeliak to be their new General Manager. Apparently talks broke down with Chris Antonetti after the Indians got extremely stingy about letting him go. Anyone know much about the guy or what his philosophy will be for the team?

Guest Smues

Mike Cameron tested positive for a banned stimulant for the 2nd time so he'll start next season with a 25 game suspension.

Astros fans should be happy. They get Brad Ausmus for another year.

As a die hard Astros fan I have to say.... *gouges eyes out*

The Mets exercised Alou's $7.5 Million option and also signed Damion Easley to a 1 year contract.

San Diego may buy out Rob Mackowiak's contract at $300,000.

3B Matt Kata is officially a free agent. He mashed righties to the tune of .316/.375/.526 in 57 AAA AB and .276/.303/.419 in 105 major league AB.

The St. Louis Cardinals have hired John Mozeliak to be their new General Manager. Apparently talks broke down with Chris Antonetti after the Indians got extremely stingy about letting him go. Anyone know much about the guy or what his philosophy will be for the team?

The rumor floating around is that Shapiro may be stepping into a role as president of baseball operations, leaving the Cleveland GM chair to Antonetti. Though the fact that he would be walking into a situation where the manager and the player development lead were set in stone probably didn't help matters either.

Since Joe Strauss had reported that Antonetti was touring some of the St. Louis neighborhoods, I started to get my hopes up that the Cardinals were headed in a new direction. Instead, we get John Mozeliak, who served as the Assistant GM under Jocketty for the last five seasons. He gets points for engineering the Pineiro acquisition on the cheap last year, but he parlayed that bargain into a ludicrous extension, resigned Russ Springer way over his retail price, and has already expressed a desire to re-sign David Eckstein to leap towards line drives up the middle like some punkass jackrabbit.

To me, he seems like a Jocketty clone and, given how well Walt fared in his last two offseasons in the new baseball economy, I'm not exactly thrilled.

EDIT: I can't type today, so fixes up above.

The Mets exercised Alou's $7.5 Million option and also signed Damion Easley to a 1 year contract.

San Diego may buy out Rob Mackowiak's contract at $300,000.

3B Matt Kata is officially a free agent. He mashed righties to the tune of .316/.375/.526 in 57 AAA AB and .276/.303/.419 in 105 major league AB.

That's really grasping at straws regarding Kata.

If Alou maintains his production, that's a bargain. And a one-year contract compared to the multi-year deals required for free agents. I would've been surprised if the Mets hadn't picked up the option.

Other loose ends:

-White Sox declined option on grittly hustler Darin Erstad and LOOGY who can't get leftys out, P Mike Myers

-Royals passed on Odalis Perez' $9 million option

-David Riske opted out of Chicago

-Glendon Rusch is interested in a comeback

-Dodgers passed on Mike Lieberthal

-Kerry Wood wants to be a starter

-P Arthur Rhodes has signed a minor league deal with Seattle

The Cincinnati Reds exercised their 2008 option on OF Adam Dunn for $13 million. In exercising the option, Dunn receives a full no-trade clause through June 15 and a limited no-trade through the end of the year. Cinci's GM has discussed the possibility of a long-term extension.

Guest Smues

He's easily worth the money, smart move by the Reds. Even if Dusty won't appreciate his base clogging talents.

I'm late to the party. I like the signing of Brad Ausmus, presuming JR Towles gets the lion's share of playing time behind homeplate and Brad and his .290 OBP doesn't return during the first 0 for 10 slump. Also, new Astros' GM Ed Wade, for some odd reason, confirmed the interest in and contact with both Torii Hunter and Aaron Rowand, with plans on shifting Hunter Pence to RF and getting rid of Luke Scott. I'm all in favor of signing Torii Hunter if possible, but, if it's a choice between Aaron Rowand and Luke Scott, I see no point in spending a shitpot full of money on a 3 win player (Rowand) when Luke Scott is projected at being a 3 to 4 win player next season at a much more reasonable price. I would be pleased to see the Astros give Kerry Wood an incentive-laden deal as either a reliever/swingman or a rotation spot.

I'm late to the party. I like the signing of Brad Ausmus, presuming JR Towles gets the lion's share of playing time behind homeplate and Brad and his .290 OBP doesn't return during the first 0 for 10 slump. Also, new Astros' GM Ed Wade, for some odd reason, confirmed the interest in and contact with both Torii Hunter and Aaron Rowand, with plans on shifting Hunter Pence to RF and getting rid of Luke Scott. I'm all in favor of signing Torii Hunter if possible, but, if it's a choice between Aaron Rowand and Luke Scott, I see no point in spending a shitpot full of money on a 3 win player (Rowand) when Luke Scott is projected at being a 3 to 4 win player next season at a much more reasonable price. I would be pleased to see the Astros give Kerry Wood an incentive-laden deal as either a reliever/swingman or a rotation spot.

Curious, where do you get that projection for Luke Scott?

I'm pretty sure PECOTA projected him at about 3.6 if I'm remembering correctly. I'd be perfectly content with Luke Scott in RF on a full-time basis, except he seems a little fragile. Without him, the Astros will feature only one left-handed hitter (Berkman).

I'm pretty sure PECOTA projected him at about 3.6 if I'm remembering correctly. I'd be perfectly content with Luke Scott in RF on a full-time basis, except he seems a little fragile. Without him, the Astros will feature only one left-handed hitter (Berkman).

The Astros really need some outfield depth. They have Josh Anderson as a number four, and no number five. Moving Luke Scott into a fourth outfielder's role would solve a few problems at once. As for lefties, Minute Maid Park heavily favors right handed hitters. I would not worry about carrying many lefty hitters.