TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

Joe Girardi's gonna be the new Yankees' manager per ESPN.

Interesting choice. He has a MOTY award to his name, but his stint with Florida was mired with pitcher abuse and clashes with management. Given that the Yankees front office and ownership is a mess right now and the success of next year's team rides with Joba, Hughes and Kennedy, things could get messy real fast.

Guest NYankees

Don Mattingly informed the Yankees that he will not return next season in any role. The rumors going around is that Torre might go to the Dodgers to be the Manager and will take Mattingly to be his bench coach. Andy Pettite could potentially opt out of his Yankee contract and sign with the Dodgers.

Don Mattingly informed the Yankees that he will not return next season in any role. The rumors going around is that Torre might go to the Dodgers to be the Manager and will take Mattingly to be his bench coach. Andy Pettite could potentially opt out of his Yankee contract and sign with the Dodgers.

Not that I think it will last for any degree of time, but the Yankees just appear to be a franchise in disarray at the moment. The transition to Hank and Hal has not been a smooth one thus far.

I know the answer, but why couldn't the Reds get Torre to be the new manager with Mattingly as a bench coach, and Pettite opting out to play for them?

Unfortunately, the FA class this year isn't all that great and you know that Cashman is not going to put the young guys like Chamberlain on the trading block, so I don't know if the Yankees can do all that much to improve this offseason. It seems like '08 is going to be a "transition" year with all the kids getting more time and experience.

They're going to be people available (Tejada, Bedard, Cabrera, Santana, Figgins, etc.). It depends on how much we give up, and honestly, you could always find a guy who can play some defense and get on base. The office just has to be creative.

Renteria traded to the Tigers. Guy really gets passed around.

For Jair Jurrgens and Gorkys Hernandez. Jurrgens has okayish stuff and could slip in easily as a #4 starter in Atlanta. He doesn't have a ton of upside, but he's got enough to contribute.

Hernandez is young and all tools. Projects as a speedy CFer, but he's a few years away at best.

Decent deal for both sides, but it crushes Buster Olney's "report" from earlier that the Tigers were going to make a blow away offer to A-Rod to be their new SS.

Some more news... credit Rotoworld.

- The Brewers have told Geoff Jenkins that they won't exercise his $9 million option for 2008.

- Twins exercised RHP Joe Nathan's $6 million option for 2008.

For Jair Jurrgens and Gorkys Hernandez. Jurrgens has okayish stuff and could slip in easily as a #4 starter in Atlanta. He doesn't have a ton of upside, but he's got enough to contribute.

Hernandez is young and all tools. Projects as a speedy CFer, but he's a few years away at best.

Decent deal for both sides, but it crushes Buster Olney's "report" from earlier that the Tigers were going to make a blow away offer to A-Rod to be their new SS.

Good deal for both sides. Atlanta had an extra shortstop in Yunel Escobar, while the Tigers have pitching depth, Curtis Granderson and Cameron Maybin behind him.

Guest thehartfoundation

this is gonna be a really good trade for the Braves in the longrun, Renteria has probably reached his peak, and the young guys they got in return fill two huge needs they have: CF and Pitching. To go along with Escobar this could be a really good team for a while, at least my Fish don't have to deal with Renteria for a while.

Joe Girardi's gonna be the new Yankees' manager per ESPN.

I knew that was going to be the case the minute he turned down the Os job.

They're going to be people available (Tejada, Bedard, Cabrera, Santana, Figgins, etc.). It depends on how much we give up, and honestly, you could always find a guy who can play some defense and get on base. The office just has to be creative.

Tejada is gone unless he ends up named in the Mitchell Report which is what everyone in Baltimore is apparently worried about. They want him gone..theres also worry that ARod will take some of the market away for him..who knows. Bedard wont go anywhere in the offseason but Im unfortunately pretty confident he'll get dealt at the trade deadline next year..which really makes me mad..

Oh, and the D-Rays claimed Os pitcher Kurt Birkins off waivers.

Tejada is gone unless he ends up named in the Mitchell Report which is what everyone in Baltimore is apparently worried about. They want him gone..theres also worry that ARod will take some of the market away for him..who knows. Bedard wont go anywhere in the offseason but Im unfortunately pretty confident he'll get dealt at the trade deadline next year..which really makes me mad..

I've heard conflicting reports about Bedard. Some say that he, Markakis and Guthrie make up the O's untouchable list. But there was an article a few weeks ago (I wish I could find the source) that indicated the team would deal him if they could get a similar package to ones being discussed for Johan Santana.

I've heard conflicting reports about Bedard. Some say that he, Markakis and Guthrie make up the O's untouchable list. But there was an article a few weeks ago (I wish I could find the source) that indicated the team would deal him if they could get a similar package to ones being discussed for Johan Santana.

You can add Brian Roberts to the Untouchable list..PA loves him.

The concensus is that Andy McPhail wants to do everything he can to sign Bedard to a long term contract however Bedard seems unreluctant, and who could blame him I suppose for not wanting to commit the prime years of his career to the Titanic of all Baseball franchises. I dont think they'll trade him in the offseason for the plain and simple fact that they'll easily get a better offer at the trade deadline from a playoff contending team desperate for a starting pitcher, unless of course he gets hurt which is a big possibility since he's not exactly mr durable..which would be the Os luck.

Also, good rumor on is that the Os might go after Posada for a 1-2 year contract and have him tutor Matt Wieters. They are going to do everything to get rid of Ramon Hernandez and bring a veteran catcher in for a 1 year deal to bridge to Wieters in 2009, and Posada makes sense somewhat.

Glad we can get to the wheeling and dealing the off-season brings after such a horrible postseason. I dislike Renteria, but the Tigers made out quite well for a guy who was one of the best offensive players at his position last year. It'll be interesting to see how his return to the AL goes.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Poor Grady. What's Los Angeles's version of Bledsoe Island? He's there with DePodesta now.

Joe Torre is all but confirmed as the Dodger's new manager, replacing Grady, who will be fired.

Scott Procter's arm is crying.

I like Torre, but this team isn't going to do a damn thing until they add some power to the lineup.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Two winning records and a playoff berth just don't get you as far as they used to these days.

Two winning records and a playoff berth just don't get you as far as they used to these days.

Can't say that I saw many Dodgers games this year, but, c'mon, it's Grady Little. He had a winning record in Boston as well, but he was such an abject failure that the team was prepared to fire him even if they won the World Series. He was the worst manager in MLB during his first stint. I hardly think he learned much this time around.

It does appear that the Dodgers have given up on being Boston West and have decided to be Yankees West. Bring on A-Rod and Pettite.

Joe Torre is all but confirmed as the Dodger's new manager, replacing Grady, who will be fired.

I like Torre, but this team isn't going to do a damn thing until they add some power to the lineup.

why am I picturing Tim Allen giving off his signature grunt before advertising A-Rod brought to us by Binford?

And they're just now reporting it on ESPN. Not even on the website yet.

Guest NYankees

Girardi is going to get 3 years, 7.5 million. How do the Dodgers fans feel about becoming NY Yankees Lite?