TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Joe Torre gone from Yankees

Obviously he was not going to accept a huge pay cut, not that he needs the money but it's an insult, a subtle way of telling him they didn't want him back.

On a team like the Yankees or Red Sox the main job of the manager is to babysit and deal with egos, not to manage the game. Torre was good at that, as is Francona. (Neither is a good in-game manager)

A guy like LaRussa would be horrible, he does not have a good touch with his players. Dusty Baker probably wouldn't be bad if he wasn't horrible at actually managing. Teams like the Yankees need a "player's manager."

The real problem with the Yankees has been how they have built their team. How much you can blame on Cashman and how much on the Boss is anyone's guess, but between them they've sucked.

Guest NYankees
The real problem with the Yankees has been how they have built their team. How much you can blame on Cashman and how much on the Boss is anyone's guess, but between them they've sucked.

I wouldn't put too much of the blame on Cashman and I would put more of the blame on the Tampa faction. The likes of Pavano, Johnson, Wright and Igawa were more to the blame of the Tampa faction while Cashman gets credit for the Wang, Cano, Melky, Chamberlain and Hughes on the team.

Also, with dead weight coming off the books the next two seasons I really wouldn't call the Yankees that poorly built recently. The Yankees have Clemens, Mussina, Giambi, Farnsworth and Pavano all gone by 2008/2009. I will be the first to admit that was money poorly spent but the Yankees do seem to be in a good situation for the future in terms of young talent.

The Yankees are looking good for the future. The offense in the future will depend on the development of Austin Jackson and Jose Tabata. I wonder what they'll be looking for to sure up the bullpen.

Also, with dead weight coming off the books the next two seasons I really wouldn't call the Yankees that poorly built recently. The Yankees have Clemens, Mussina, Giambi, Farnsworth and Pavano all gone by 2008/2009. I will be the first to admit that was money poorly spent but the Yankees do seem to be in a good situation for the future in terms of young talent.

I can agree with that. But will management be patient enough or will they get held back in favour of more high-priced starters who began their careers during the Coolidge administration?

Guest NYankees

What former 1990's Cy Young winner is available? I cant picture the Yankees going after Glavine or Maddux. Pedro,Schilling,Johnson,Glavine,Maddux,Smoltz,Clemens,Pettite,Wells,Mussina and god knows who else are all going to be retired within 2 years. The late 1980's and early 1990''s provided a ton of Hall of Famers and multi all star pitchers. The late 90's and early 2000's really haven't matched that yet. So it's not like the Yankees are going to be throwing money around at old dinosaurs.

Guest NYankees
2009 will have all the good FA pitchers.

I can dream about that. Clemens, Mussina, Giambi, Pavano, Damon, Abreu, Farnsworth and god knows who elses inflated contracts would all be off the books by then.

Guest NYankees

Do you really think they are going to get that big of pay raises? PLus I cant picture Posada and Mo being signed to more than 3 years.

Not all those guys will be free agents by then. At least half will sign extentions.

We'd only need like 1, or 2 at most. Plus, if they decide not to go after any of them, they can always bring up Allan Horne as a starter.

I don't think Rivera gets more than three. He just wants to pitch in the new stadium. I'd say 2 years around 25 million.

Guest NYankees

Giambi 23 million

Pettite 16 million

Abreu 15 million

Damon 13 million

Mussina 11 million

Farnsworth 5.5 million

Clemens 18 million?

Pavano 8 million

Thats 90-100 million coming off of the books in the upcoming years. I can see some star pitchers becoming free agents to get the big money from the Yankees.

I don't think Rivera gets more than three. He just wants to pitch in the new stadium. I'd say 2 years around 25 million.

If he wants four years, he can get it. Tom Gordon got a three year contract at the same age. If Gordon can get three years, how many years will a team dish out for the greatest closer of our generation? Remember, some team has to go above and beyond to land him. If I were the Phillies, I'd offer 4 years/$40 million. Seriously.

Giambi 23 million

Pettite 16 million

Abreu 15 million

Damon 13 million

Mussina 11 million

Farnsworth 5.5 million

Clemens 18 million?

Pavano 8 million

Thats 90-100 million coming off of the books in the upcoming years. I can see some star pitchers becoming free agents to get the big money from the Yankees.

The problem is that it's the same strategy that landed them here in the first place. The only time they won multiple titles is when they built from within. They might land a star pitcher, but who's to say that pitcher will be a star three years down the road?

They did build from within, but not totally. They had Jeter, Bernie, Posada, Rivera, Pettitte, and who else that was vital to the success in the late '90s? Look at the Yankees now with Jeter, Cano, Cabrera, Posada (if he stays), Duncan, Chamberlain, Rivera (if he stays), Pettitte, Kennedy, Hughes, Ramirez, and Phillips. For the late 90s they made shrewd trades, and had some key signings. This included bringing in (both in trade and signings), O'Neill, Martinez, Nelson, Stanton, Brosius, Knoblauch, Curtis, Raines, Girardi, Key, Clemens, Wells, El Duque, and on and on. They just need to be smart with their money.

Bedard is a FA after 2008, and its pretty much a given hes skipping town from Baltimore..supposedly to go to Toronto to play in Canada..but Id completely quit watching baseball if he went to NY for the money.

It was bad enough when Mussina did it (and look where/what it got him..nothin! HA!)

Guest NYankees

Bedard is a FA after 2008, and its pretty much a given hes skipping town from Baltimore..supposedly to go to Toronto to play in Canada..but Id completely quit watching baseball if he went to NY for the money.

It was bad enough when Mussina did it (and look where/what it got him..nothin! HA!)

At least he didn't have to play on a last place team every year and did have a Chance to win on the big stage. HA! But then again, pitching at Camden Yards is like pitching at Yankee stadium whenever it's an Orioles/Yankees game there. Due to the the strong Yankee turnout.

Bedard in Toronto would be nice, especially since Burnett will probably opt out after next season, unless his arm falls off (which is entirely possible).

"O'Neill, Martinez, Nelson, Stanton, Brosius, Knoblauch, Curtis, Raines, Girardi, Key, Clemens, Wells, El Duque, and on and on"

Most of those guys were not huge signings. (Unlike say Danny Tartabull...) Key, Clemens and Koblauch are the only guys there you could call big signings I thinkg.

Poblem has been Yankees overpay for one-dimensional, injury prone or aging players on the decline, especially in the pitching staff.

"O'Neill, Martinez, Nelson, Stanton, Brosius, Knoblauch, Curtis, Raines, Girardi, Key, Clemens, Wells, El Duque, and on and on"

Most of those guys were not huge signings. (Unlike say Danny Tartabull...) Key, Clemens and Koblauch are the only guys there you could call big signings I thinkg.

Poblem has been Yankees overpay for one-dimensional, injury prone or aging players on the decline, especially in the pitching staff.

Are you serious? O'Neill was a huge trade. So was Martinez and Nelson. The Knoblauch trade gave us a leadoff man. El Duque is nasty in the postseason. Brosius had some big swings. Girardi was key with the pitchers. Key was huge for the '96 team. Wells had a great winning percentage. Stanton was a key bullpen guy. Please. PLEASE!

And if they weren't important acquisitions, who the hell helped us win those 4 titles?

Guest NYankees

Oooooo BOY. The Yankees traded for Oneill in late 1992 when they sent Roberto Kelly to the Reds. Stanton was a signing following the 96 season. Yankees traded Kenny Rogers for Brosius on expansion draft day in 1998, I am very confident that Curtis and Girardi were trades, raines was signed after the 95 season, Yankees traded for Clemens in March of 99, Knoblauch was a trade in early 1998 before the season began. I forgot that Tino was another trade as well in december of 1995.

The only top prospect I can remember them dealing in the recent past was Brandon Claussen for Aaron Boone in 2003. They got Martinez/Nelson for Sterling Hitchcock/Russ Davis, David Justice for Westbrook/Ledee, and Chuck Knoblauch for Christian Guzman and Eric Milton.

Are you serious? O'Neill was a huge trade. So was Martinez and Nelson. The Knoblauch trade gave us a leadoff man. El Duque is nasty in the postseason. Brosius had some big swings. Girardi was key with the pitchers. Key was huge for the '96 team. Wells had a great winning percentage. Stanton was a key bullpen guy. Please. PLEASE!

And if they weren't important acquisitions, who the hell helped us win those 4 titles?

Sorry, what I wrote must have come out wrong. I meant they weren't huge from a resources angle, I didn't mean they weren't important moves. Those guys represented good trades and signs because they got great value without paying a fortune.

I was trying to compare those to things like Giambi and Tartabull, who were vastly overpaid for what they did.

The Yankees in the 90s were quite astute at acquiring talent. They got Paul O'Neill the year after he posted the worst slugging percentage of his career. Scott Brosius was atrocious the year the Yankees received him. David Wells had a 5+ ERA when the Yankees got him as a free agent. Yankee fans today would do well to remember that.