TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 10/25 - 10/29

Yeah, that was a pretty amazing finish. Super clutch performance by Matt Ryan specifically and the Eagles as a whole. Also, they played a little better than would be indicated by being down 10 with 2:30 as there were a couple big calls that went VT's way that really affected the game a lot.

Still though, I can't really see BC as a Top 3 team right now. If you compare what LSU did to the Hokies to what BC did, you have to put the Tigers on top. I had BC at #4 last week, and I think that if OSU beats Penn State and Oregon beats USC, you pretty much have to leave them there. With that said, BC now has two road wins that are about as good if not better than the road wins that most of the top contenders have.

Fowler's terrific. What are you talking about? He definitely got across the gravity of the situation when they got the ball back and were in position to score, but most of the game, he was obviously being held back by his play-by-play guys. They'd come up with some ridiculously stupid analysis every 5 minutes or so, and you could kinda tell Fowler was just biting his tongue, thinking "OK, don't say anything, don't make your colleagues look bad" when really he just wanted to rip them new assholes. The booth was a little better with Flutie, but with James and Blackledge going off, it was pretty awful tonight. I think it's kind of disappointing for Fowler to be working with mediocre partners after all those years being in the booth with Herbstreit who's probably the #2 color guy in all of college football.

Still though, I can't really see BC as a Top 3 team right now. If you compare what LSU did to the Hokies to what BC did, you have to put the Tigers on top. I had BC at #4 last week, and I think that if OSU beats Penn State and Oregon beats USC, you pretty much have to leave them there. With that said, BC now has two road wins that are about as good if not better than the road wins that most of the top contenders have.

I had them at #6, but I would move them up considerably after tonight (I'm ranking strictly on resumes, not as a power poll). Even assuming Ohio State and Oregon both win, I think I'd have to put BC no lower than #2. They'd have a slightly stronger sets of wins than Ohio State, and they'd have more or less equal to Oregon's performance so far, but with one fewer loss.

They have a stronger set of wins than Ohio State today, but I don't necessarily think that winning at Virginia Tech's any more impressive than a win at Penn State would be this Saturday. I think BC and Ohio State would be pretty even on quality of schedule faced, but Ohio State would still have a big edge in how well they'd played against that schedule. Both teams have a pretty good passing game with a tremendous defense, but Ohio State's running game and better coaching definitely make them the better team IMO.

If ohio state loses, how far down in the polls do you think they'll drop?

Look at their schedule.

09/01 YSU W 38-6

09/08 Akron W 20-2

09/15 at Washington W 33-14

09/22 N'western W 58-7

09/29 at Minnesota W 30-7

10/06 at #23 Purdue W 23-7

10/13 Kent St W 48-3

10/20 Mich St W 24-17

10/27 at #25 Penn State 8:00 PM

11/03 Wisconsin TBD

11/10 Illinois TBD

11/17 at #20 Michigan 12:00 PM

Not exactly a tough schedule.

They won't drop out of the top 10, probably, because they've been #1 a couple of weeks, and because there aren't that many teams with better records out there. I'd think they'd definitely deserve to be behind all the undefeated teams (ASU, Kansas, BC), and certainly 1-loss LSU, Oklahoma, USF, WVU, Missouri, and the winner of Oregon/USC, all of whom would have better wins and relatively equal or better losses. Maybe they could stay ahead of a 1-loss USC, even if Oregon would be a better win than anyone Ohio State has played.

They won't drop out of the top 10, probably, because they've been #1 a couple of weeks, and because there aren't that many teams with better records out there. I'd think they'd definitely deserve to be behind all the undefeated teams (ASU, Kansas, BC), and certainly 1-loss LSU, Oklahoma, USF, WVU, Missouri, and the winner of Oregon/USC, all of whom would have better wins and relatively equal or better losses. Maybe they could stay ahead of a 1-loss USC, even if Oregon would be a better win than anyone Ohio State has played.

Ya. But after this weekend, I think there will be a big top 10 shakeup. There are ALOT of serious games on saturday.

(1) Ohio State (8-0, 4-0 Big Ten)

(25) Penn State (6-2, 3-2 Big Ten)

(21) California (5-2, 2-2 Pac-10)

(4) Arizona State (7-0, 4-0 Pac-10)

(12) USC (6-1, 3-1 Pac-10)

(5) Oregon (6-1, 3-1 Pac-10)

(7) West Virginia (6-1, 1-1 Big East)

Rutgers (5-2, 2-1 Big East)

(9) Kansas (7-0, 3-0 Big 12)

Texas A&M (6-2, 3-1 Big 12)

(10) South Florida (6-1, 1-1 Big East)

(23) Connecticut (6-1, 2-0 Big East)

Also,

(11) Florida (5-2, 3-2 SEC)

(18) Georgia (5-2, 3-2 SEC)

If Florida can win, I expect them to move up in the top 10. Hopefully in the top 6 or 7.

Interesting note: Air Force played their seventh conference game tonight, going to 5-2 in the MWC with a loss to New Mexico. No one else in the conference has played more than 4 games thus far and several teams have only played three. In fact, Air Force is the only team in all of I-A who's played more than 5 conference games thus far. UConn has played the least among teams affiliated with a conference, going 2-0 in their only 2 conference games.

I went to sleep, heard on the news that Tech was about to win... That's crazy how BC came back.

I'm confident that The Buckeyes will win out... I really don't see anyone beating us but ourselves.

Wofford held off Western Carolina in a 47-44 shootout.

WC went QBBC with Todd Spitzer and Adam Hearns combining to go 23/36 for 341 yards and 5 TD. For Wofford, RBs Kevious Johnson and Adrian Young combined for 39 carries for 243 yards and 3 TD.

Western Carolina nearly came back after being down 37-3 at the half, scoring 41 points in the 2nd half to Wofford's 10. WC was still down 44-24 entering the 4th quarter.

Well a lot of people seem to be picking Penn St. to pull the upset on OSU, but I don't really see it. Penn St. just isn't that great this year. This reminds me of a year where OSU will run it to 11-0 going into the Michigan game and Michigan will take them out.

I wish I could say that Penn St. will win, but I don't think it's gonna happen. I can't see Morelli and the offense getting the job done against a strong Ohio St. defense. Penn St. is gonna have to get some turnovers and big special teams plays to get the win.

Right on cue, it's time for the misty-eyed testimonial wherein blank-faced VT students go on about how football kept them from killing themselves or something.

God this game is a slog.

Edit: Glad I stuck around to watch that touchdown, though. Hell of a throw.

Edit two: And a recovered onside kick. Hot damn.

I don't know why, but I got a chuckle watching BC march right down the field immediately after ESPN shows that video package. Then watching Ryan throw the touchdown to win it as well.

I'm not sure you can judge the Ohio State match-up and this BC match-up. The game conditions were HORRIBLE for this one and I doubt you have all those drops and slipped up routes on a dry field. Heck, I don't even know if the BC line performs that poorly on a dry field. Now there was an obvious weakness exposed in BC and that is their play calling. They just seem to want to throw and throw and throw with the rushing just being kinda there even when effective.

Hey everyone did you know the Breeder's Cup is on? The announcers in the Michigan State/Iowa game just compared the game to a horse race so I just remembered the Breeder's Cup was on. Thanks guys!

Man, Rutgers got worked big time today.

EDIT: Iowa storming the field against Michgan St.? Please.

And Oregon gets on the board first.

It's just the first quarter, but Dennis Dixon is well on his way to making the (media) vaunted USC D his bitch.

I cannot believe that game isn't on ABC. Horrible.

I don't know all the ins and outs of various conference t.v. deals but I believe FSN has one week out of the year where they have exclusive rights to the Pac-10 and just happened to be this week. As already mentioned ASU/Oregon is televised almost no where next week.

There is sooooooo going to be a brawl in the Cocktail Party before it is over. The entire Georgia team stormed the field to celebrate the first touchdown of the game to send a message to Florida. Georgia is kicking from their own 7 due to the celebration.

Cute little stunt by Georgia but pretty fucking stupid at the same time. Tebow comes right back and ties the game, let's see how the next drive goes. Should be a very entertaining game.

Edit: Unbelivable...

Tebow looks really off today. He is just standing in the pocket, waiting for something to happen rather than his usual scrambling to make plays. If Georgia scores on this drive, this could get ugly.

Real bonehead call by Meyer with that stupidity of flanking Tebow as a receiver.