TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 10/25 - 10/29

It's just the first quarter, but Dennis Dixon is well on his way to making the (media) vaunted USC D his bitch.

Dude that stopped weeks ago. Now the media recognizes USC has an average defense like they always do.

FCS vs. FBS - Delaware vs. Navy

Add Navy to the list of FBS teams going down with Delaware winning 59-52. Some questionable calls late against both teams but the Hens cling to the win.

Flacco went for 400 plus yards and Cuff had three scores to lead the Hens offense. I don't have the official stats but I think Flac had about 435 yards with 4 touchdowns.

That makes at least 2 games this year with a I-AA team beating a I-A bowl team (Michigan is also going bowling).

Tebow is not playing well so far. Clearly the shoulder is bothering him alot more than most people thought. Still in the game though, hopefully the playcalling, dumb penalties and mistakes stop in the second half.

Does the light/dark contrast on the Oregon field drive anyone else crazy? I can never see any of these fumbles until they show them on replay.

U of L got a really hilarious gift win over Pitt today. Pitt had the ball and was driving in a matter of 5 plays and seemed initially to have scored to tie the game. It was reviewed and it was found that the guy was down at the 1 instead. Next play Pitt fumbles at the 1 yard line and U of L recovers it to win.

And I have to admit, seeing WVU just work Rutgers today made me smile. Seeing UK get worked by Miss St. mostly made me scratch my head.

So lemme get this straight. Your team is ranked fifth in the nation, everyone on the planet knows USC is down this year and you rush the field for beating them because their quarterback is still only average at best?

Jesus, and I thought South Florida was pathetic.

Oh well. Can't make the BCS every year.

I guarantee that there won't be a single team the rest of the way to hold Oregon to that few points.

Let's run a play we lost 5 yards on two plays ago on fourth and 2. Ok, Urban.

I know Les Miles. I've coached against Les Miles. And you, Urban Meyer, are no Les Miles.

So lemme get this straight. Your team is ranked fifth in the nation, everyone on the planet knows USC is down this year and you rush the field for beating them because their quarterback is still only average at best?

Jesus, and I thought South Florida was pathetic.

Someone missed seeing Iowa fans rushing the field after beating Michigan State today. Beating USC is still a big deal and I think part of it also was due to the game still being in doubt in the final minute. It's not like Oregon just blew them off the field.

Hopefully ASU takes care of business tonight so we get a Pac-10 Top 5 match-up next week...that no one will see.

Florida got ran all over by the Bulldogs. That's another team dead as of today for the National title. Not that they had much of a shot anymore anyway but that officially closes that book.

Championship contenders by conference:

SEC: LSU, Alabama (outside contender)

ACC: BC

Big Ten: Ohio State

Big 12: Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas

Big East: West Virginia, Connecticut (SERIOUS outside contender)

Pac Ten: Oregon, Arizona State, Cal (outside contender)

Anyone missing from this list?

Well...there's that team called Michigan that everyone had dead and buried after the first 2 games.

I guess you could say UCLA too, but they're mad inconsistent.

EDIT: never mind, I guess you mean NC contenders, not conference contenders

Championship contenders by conference:

SEC: LSU, Alabama (outside contender)

ACC: BC

Big Ten: Ohio State

Big 12: Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas

Big East: West Virginia, Connecticut (SERIOUS outside contender)

Pac Ten: Oregon, Arizona State, Cal (outside contender)

Anyone missing from this list?

Georgia is probably in the mix as a longshot after today, if they can get to the SEC title game with 2 losses and beat LSU or Alabama. They would obviously need a lot of help.

Well...there's that team called Michigan that everyone had dead and buried after the first 2 games.

Michigan is not a contender unless almost no teams finish with 1 loss or less; that loss to Oregon is forgivable, but the App. State game pretty much kills them.

Extremely disappointing effort today from Florida. They had numerous chances to take control of the game but continuously shot themselves in the foot with mistakes, penalties and worst of all, sacks. I thought Tebow played very well (after a shaky first half) given the circumstances of his injury (I think he was playing around 60-65%) but didn't get a whole lot of help from his line. This loss probably eliminates him from Heisman contention, but I still feel he's the best player in the country right now.

Michigan is not a contender unless almost no teams finish with 1 loss or less; that loss to Oregon is forgivable, but the App. State game pretty much kills them.

Yeah, I originally thought he just meant contenders for the conference titles.

USC and USC both have a better shot at reaching the title game than Cal and Alabama do. USC-West because they've got the brand name and people will write off the losses as being "because Booty was hurt" if he comes back and leads them to 10-2 and USC-East because they've got a chance to avenge one of their losses if they beat LSU in the title game. Cal and Alabama are done though and UConn doesn't have the name value to get in. Hawaii still has a really outside chance too but only if they blow out Boise and Washington.

Actually, Cal's about even with USC. Both teams are still hanging onto a 1 or 2% chance, but are out for all practical purposes. South Carolina's hurt by Florida losing today too and may not have a realistic shot of climbing back either.

Alabama's definitely out though behind all these teams. You don't lose to Florida State and come back to reach the title game.