TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 10/25 - 10/29

Did anyone else see that play by Trinity University? I'm sure it'll find it's way onto Youtube but there were like a million laterals on the last play to win it (I guess it was 61 yards and 14 laterals). ESPN's been showing the play.

If Oregon played LSU they'd get rolled hard. Heck, Stanford hung more points on USC than what the Ducks did, and USC was one bad pass away from tying the game. Oregon will probably get steamrolled by UCLA, anyway.

Go to ESPN.com's college football page and it is on the last page of the little video player on the right. The announcers are great.

"GO! GO! RUN!!!!"

And it looks like one of the opposing team's players dropped dead at midfield.

Edited by KingPK

I have to say, I've been really impressed with Arizona State tonight. They had a couple costly calls go against them, but they've played good defense and Rudy Carpenter's passed the ball really well. They have a way better shot to beat Oregon last week than I was giving them credit for.

Go to ESPN.com's college football page and it is on the last page of the little video player on the right. The announcers are great.

"GO! GO! RUN!!!!"

And it looks like one of the opposing team's players dropped dead at midfield.

Yeah, a couple of the defensive players looked like they just said, "Screw this, you guys tackle him" and collapsed on the field.

In another crazy game, Weber St. beat Portland St. 73-68 to set an NCAA all divisions record for combined points. And there were no OT's either.

Portland State's QB had 9 TD passes.

ASU is reminding me of USC of a couple years ago, not necessarily as good as them but similar in that their opponents seem to always be able to hang with them for a half but after some adjustments they just dominate you in the second half.

And Cal's time as being relevant on the national stage this year is over.

I guess there's an NCAA-mandated rule for fans to storm the field after a win now.

I can't wait for next year when LSU storms the field after taking down that tough and gritty Troy team.

Here's my Top 25 this week:

(Previous week's ranking in parenthesis)

1. Ohio State 9-0 (1)

2. LSU 7-1 (2)

3. Arizona State 8-0 (10)

4. Boston College 8-0 (4)

5. Oregon 7-1 (3)

6. West Virginia 7-1 (6)

7. Oklahoma 7-1 (5)

8. Kansas 8-0 (9)

9. Missouri 7-1 (11)

10. South Florida 7-2 (7)

11. Auburn 6-3 (16)

12. Florida 5-3 (8)

13. Georgia 6-2 (21)

14. USC 6-2 (12)

15. Connecticut 7-1 (26)

16. Virginia Tech 6-2 (15)

17. California 5-3 (14)

18. South Carolina 6-3 (17)

19. Kentucky 6-3 (13)

20. Michigan 7-2 (20)

21. Alabama 6-2 (25)

22. Kansas State 5-3 (28)

23. Texas 7-2 (22)

24. Tennessee 5-3 (33)

25. Clemson 6-2 (40)

Close: Boise State, Cincinnatti, Rutgers, UCLA, Hawaii, Penn State, Oregon State

Kinda sorta close: Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Purdue, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Virginia, Colorado, BYU, New Mexico, Illinois

How does then-#3 Oregon move DOWN two slots after beating then-#12 USC? Furthermore, how does #4 BC not move up after taking down then-#15 Virginia Tech? Arizona State's win was impressive but there's no way you can non-opinionatedly justify them jumping BC.

I'd have gone Ohio State, BC, Arizona State, Oregon/LSU tied at #4 and if you don't lose #5 due to the tie West Virginia.

Who said I'm not opinionated? I watched the entire BC game, most of the Oregon game, and most of the Arizona State game, and I thought that the Sun Devils played far and away the best football. They got jobbed on two calls and still came back to win the game handily. Also, it didn't really seem fair to have Oregon ahead of ASU when the Sun Devils beat Cal by 11 at home and the Ducks lost by 7 to the same team at home. I'm not a huge fan of logic chains, but they do have their place in certain circumstances.

As for BC, make up your mind. Are you mad that I put them ahead of Oregon or not? That was a really close decision too, but again Cal's 3rd loss hurt the Ducks, and I think BC beating VT on the road was a slightly better win than Oregon beating USC at home. Also, I knew that Oregon's D was shaky from some of their earlier games, but thought that their offense would be enough to pull them through against whoever they played. However, against the Trojans, that offense largely got shut down. If UO plays another solid team that executes just a little better on the offensive end, it could mean a second loss. My ratings are pretty fluid however, and if Oregon beats Arizona State next week, I'll move them up to at least #3 and possibly #2.

12:00 PM - The Citadel (3-1) vs. Georgia Southern (2-2) - Georgia Southern b. Citadel 21-17 with Jayson Foster running for 157 yards and 2 TD.

12:05 PM - Richmond (3-1) vs. James Madison (4-0) - Richmond b. James Madison 17-16 with Tim Hightower running for 102 yards and 1 TD.

12:30 PM - Dartmouth (2-1) vs. Harvard (3-0) - Harvard b. Dartmouth 28-21 with 114 yards rushing from Cheng Ho.

01:00 PM - Iona (1-0) vs. Duquesne (1-0) - Iona b. Duquesne 28-23 with Nick Rosetti throwing for 210 yards and 2 TD. Dane Samuels ran for 193 yards and 1 TD. For Duquesne, Kevin Rombach threw for 275 yards and 3 TD with 1 INT.

01:00 PM - Albany (2-0) vs. Wagner (3-1) - Albany b. Wagner 24-10 with Dave McCarty running for 125 yards and 1 TD.

01:00 PM - San Diego (4-0) vs. Dayton (3-1) - Dayton b. San Diego 35-16 with Kevin Hoyng throwing for 252 yards and 2 TD. He also ran for 127 yards and 2 TD.

FCS vs. FBS 01:00 PM - Delaware vs. Navy - Delaware won 59-52 thanks to Joe Flacco's 434 yards and 4 TDs. Omar Cuff also added 141 yards and 4 TD on the ground.

01:30 PM - Delaware State (5-0) vs. SC State (4-1) - Delaware State won 17-16 off a 38 yard FG with 2 seconds left. For SC State, William Floyd and Cleveland McCoy combined for 263 yards rushing and 1 TD.

FCS Game of the Week - 06:05 PM - Montana (4-0) vs. Northern Arizona (4-1) - Montana won 21-16 with Cole Bergquist throwing for 202 yards and 2 TD. Lex Hilliard ran for 146 yards and 1 TD.

07:00 PM - Eastern Illinois (4-1) vs. Tennessee State (2-1) - Eastern Illinois won 38-35 off a 30 yard FG with 0 seconds left. Ademole Adeniji and Travarus Bess combined for 282 yards rushing and 2 TD.

07:00 PM - Nicholls State (2-1) vs. Central Arkansas (3-1) - Central Arkansas b. Nicholls State 49-42 in 1 OT. Nathan Brown threw for 338 yards and 4 TD. For Nicholls State, Broderick Cole ran for 196 yards and 4 TD.

Stat of the Week: QB Drew Hubel of Portland State went 35-56 for 485 yards and 9 TD vs. 0 INT. Portland State had 17 yards rushing in that game while Weber State's Trevyn Smith and QB Cameron Higgins combined for 331 yards rushing and 4 TD. Higgins also threw for 334 yards and 4 TD (ran 3 in too).

I don't quite get why so many people think LSU is some sort of juggernaut team. Their past 3 games would certainly suggest otherwise, as they for all intents and purposes should have lost all 3. Florida and Auburn had them on the ropes in Baton Rouge (and neither team has proven to be too special this year) while they lost to friggin UK. How exactly would LSU just roll Oregon?

Maybe it's just that I don't trust the whole two QB system?

It's not that they're a juggernaut, it's just that they've played a tougher schedule than any of the undefeateds or other one-loss teams and they're being given credit for that. They are 2-1 on the road this year though with the wins being over Tulane and Miss. St., so the game at Alabama this week should be a big test.

I like Iggy's analyses of each contending team each week before the games, saves me a lot of trouble and it makes me sound like I know what I'm talking about with my friends :D

Glad to see someone enjoys reading them. Quick reminder for first-time readers, the teams are being grouped by their chances if they win out and are all listed in order within each tier. With that said, here's this week's edition of the tier system:

Tier I: The Frontrunners

Decided to rename the tiers a little bit. The teams that are actually at the top of the pack should be the frontrunners, not the 2nd group. Anyway, these are the only two teams in the country that are guaranteed to go to New Orleans if they win out.

Arizona State (8-0): Well, the Sun Devils didn't get as much credit as they should have for the win over Cal, likely because it was late at night and the voters didn't see how well they played, but a win over Oregon this week should definitely catapult them into the national spotlight. If they're not #2 in the BCS with a win in Autzen, I'll be very surprised.

Ohio State (9-0): Practically, the Buckeyes don't have to concern themselves with the rankings at all. Win out and you play for the title. Lose 1 out of the 3 and your chances are slim to none.

Tier II: The Contenders

These are the other teams that are still in the thick of the race. They do need a little help, but mostly, they just need to take care of their business to get to the championship game:

Boston College (8-0): Well, they came up with the win over the Hokies, but they certainly didn't do it in impressive fashion. They're schedule's tough enough the rest of the way that they shouldn't get caught from behind by LSU or Kansas, but if they were up against undefeated Buckeye and Sun Devil teams, they'd have almost no shot.

Kansas (8-0): Respect in the polls is coming slow for the Jayhawks, as they're currently ranked #8 in both the Coaches and the Harris polls. Perhaps, the key factor in whether they'd get in over a one-loss LSU team is the national perception of Oklahoma. If the end of the season rankings are something like: 1. OSU 2. LSU 3. Okla 4. Kan, then the Jayhawks could likely make the leap to #2 with a win in the Big XII title game. Any further down though, and KU might be relegated to the Fiesta Bowl behind the Tigers, even with a 13-0 record.

LSU (7-1): LSU's still the top contender among the one-loss teams, but with Oregon gaining momentum, it's not impossible that the Tigers could slip to #4 in the polls this week. Victory margin in both Eugene and Tuscaloosa will be very important in the national title picture (if both teams even win).

Oregon (7-1): Even though they didn't blow out the Trojans, Oregon got a big boost in national pereception, passing Oklahoma in the coaches poll, and pulling nearly even in the Harris poll. Beat the Sun Devils next week, and they'll be neck-and-neck with LSU. Blow ASU out, and the Ducks probably pass the Tigers for good.

Tier III: Still in the race

These are the teams that can't honestly they say have a 50/50 shot to make the championship if they win out. They're certainly in the race, but they're going to need a little bit of luck and some help from above to actually make it.

Oklahoma (7-1): The Sooners fell behind Oregon this week just like I thought they would with the Ducks win over USC. Even though Kansas is highly-ranked, I don't think anyone really believes in them enough to give the Sooners a boost for beating them in the title game, even if KU's 11-0 going in. Oklahoma basically needs all the major-conference undefeateds to lose in addition to LSU and Oregon.

Missouri (7-1): Missouri's still behind West Virginia in the polls, but even with WVU blowing Rutgers out in the most impressive fashion possible, the Mountaineers don't have the games left on their schedule to hold off a Missouri team that finished the season by beating Kansas and Oklahoma. Missouri is basically in the same spot as Oklahoma right now, just needing 5 teams above them to lose if they win out.

West Virginia (7-1): West Virginia's still playing very well, but with a home game against UConn likely being their best chance at facing another ranked team, they need to just sit back and hope everyone loses. At this point of the season, West Virginia's just the team to plug into the title game if no one else is available.

Tier IV: The Longshots

These teams while still technically in the race are going to need every single break to go their way. They will likely need the top teams to lose not once, but twice.

USC (6-2): Believe it or not, you still can't count the Trojans 100% out of the national title picture. They fell softly in the polls after last week's loss, dropping to #15 in the Coaches' Poll and #13 in the Harris poll. If they get things back on track with road wins over Oregon State and Cal and then Booty comes up with a monster performance in a blowout at Arizona State, they'll jump in a hurry. Just winning won't be enough, they'll have to win big, but if they do that, the losses will be written off due to injury, and I could easily see a 10-2 USC squad jumping an 11-1 Arizona State.

Hawaii (8-0): I was actually going to write Hawaii off this week, but with them jumping to #10 in the Harris poll, anything's possible. Boise State being ranked helps their case too, but they're going to need some record-setting wins on national television to jump even two-loss opponents from BCS conferences. I'm talking like 70-14 over Boise State or something. This should all be a moot point pretty soon though as a loss to Fresno State or Nevada will close the book on Hawaii's title hopes.

Eliminated last week

Florida (5-3): First rule of 3-loss club: No one plays for the national championship in 3-loss club.

South Florida (7-2): USF's still one of the Top 10 teams in the country, IMO, but given the way that people distrust their name though, the Bulls might not even get an at-large bid at 10-2. The national championship's out of the question.

South Carolina (6-3): See Florida, re: 3-loss club. The Cocks didn't have much of a chance anyway, but they're completely finished after losing to Tennessee.

So lemme get this straight. Your team is ranked fifth in the nation, everyone on the planet knows USC is down this year and you rush the field for beating them because their quarterback is still only average at best?

Jesus, and I thought South Florida was pathetic.

It's not about beating an inferior team. They rushed the field because they FINALLY beat USC. Oregon hasn't beaten them since Joey Harrington played. There was a lot more on the line than winning a football game. If they lost, they'd be an afterthought. By winning it put them center stage in the national media, and for a school in the Pacific Northwest that's hard to do. Oregon has a chance to be a big time player this year and hopefully find some stability at that level. That was probably the biggest win in the history of the program. I've got no problem with the best student section in at least the Pac 10 celebrating that. In the end though it won't matter unless Letdown University wins this week against ASU.

Fox sports has expanded regional coverage of Oregon ASU and will also broadcast it on Fox College Sports Central. Also, ESPN College Gameday is coming back to Eugene this week.

USC is 100% done. Finished. Not only do they have zero shot at the national title, they would need all sorts of help to even have a chance at winning the Pac 10. How could a team with 2 losses (including one to a 40 pt. underdog Stanford) play for the national title? It's not like they are a 2 loss team such as LSU from last year, that lost two very tough road games to 10-2 Auburn and 11-1 Florida.

Cool, I get those random FCS channels so I'll be able to see the game after all.

New BCS Rankings

1. Ohio State

2. Boston College

3. LSU

4. Arizona State

5. Oregon

6. Oklahoma

7. West Virginia

8. Kansas

9. Missouri

10. Georgia

11. Virginia Tech

12. Michigan

13. Connecticut

14. Hawaii

15. Texas

16. Auburn

17. Alabama

18. South Florida

19. USC

20. Florida

21. Wisconsin

22. Boise State

23. Virginia

24. Wake Forest

25. Clemson

OK, cabbageboy, I guess you were right about LSU. I've found a logic chain that gives definitive "proof" that they could get beat by a 2-6 Division II team.

Western Washington > UC Davis > Northeastern > Central Arkansas > Nicholls State > Rice > Southern Miss > East Carolina > Central Florida > NC State > Virginia > UConn > USF > West Virginia > Mississippi State > Kentucky > LSU.

Damn you. Someone has a ticket for me but I would have to get out of work and just took 5 days off.

The purple guys didn't really seem interested in stopping the play at all. Anybody that wasn't in the vicinity of the ball was just standing around waiting for Trinity to tire itself out.