Sat, Nov. 3

New Jersey @ Philadelphia, 7:00

Orlando @ Washington, 7:00

Indiana @ Memphis, 8:00

Chicago @ Milwaukee, 8:30

Portland @ Houston, 8:30

Sacramento @ Dallas, 8:30

Golden State @ Utah, 9:00

I was going to get League Pass this year, but Insight apparently doesn't carry it.

Edited by alfdogg

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Here's something interesting. One day before opening night, the Chicago Bulls have announced that they're moving their radio coverage from 105.9 WCKG to AM1000, because 105.9 is failing and CBS Radio wants to flip it to Spanish, which the Bulls were not pleased with. Evidently, there was an out clause for situations like this. Anyway, this is good news, because 105.9 only covers Chicagoland, and 1000 covers a lot of the country (just not west of De Kalb). So if you live in Pittsburgh and want to become a Bulls fan, you're in luck! If you live in Rock Island, you're still screwed, though.

ESPN Power Rankings

1. San Antonio

2. Phoenix

3. Boston

4. Dallas

5. Houston

6. Detroit

7. Utah

8. Chicago

9. Golden State

10. Cleveland

11. Orlando

12. Denver

13. Miami

14. Toronto

15. New Jersey

16. New Orleans

17. Washington

18. Milwaukee

19. Memphis

20. LA Lakers

21. New York

22. Atlanta

23. Indiana

24. LA Clippers

25. Charlotte

26. Portland

27. Seattle

28. Philadelphia

29. Sacramento

30. Minnesota

I'm still not seeing what Milwaukee has done that makes them better than us.

Whereas the power of inertia rules college football rankings, the NBA continues it's tradition of "what have you done for me lately?" There is absolutely no reason why Boston should be ranked third. They had some nice offseason acquisitions, but have done nothing on the floor. Cleveland at 10? They cruised through the Eastern Conference last year. How did Chicago and Detroit leap past them in the offseason?

Golden State, Orlando and Miami are too high. Dallas, Utah, and Toronto are too low. The whole thing is a mess.

Wouldn't it be something if Seattle and Portland get #1 and #2 again next year? I guess would REALLY want to save those two teams if that were the case.

OJ Mayo and Durant? or Mayo and Oden?

I'd definitely move Boston down at least 4 or 5 spots until we see them in some actual meaningful games. Golden State at 9 looks kind of weird, but honestly you'd be hard pressed to move any of those other 20 teams into the top 10.

As far as Cleveland goes, I suppose I'd give them the benefit of the doubt among the East teams, since they did win the conference. But I don't think they would beat Detroit every time, don't think they'd definitely beat Chicago in a series, or even a healthy Wizards team, which is another one that's ranked pretty low.

Houston over Utah is pretty weird, too. I'm sure Houston will be better under Adelman, but Utah did beat them fairly convicingly in the playoffs.

I also agree that Toronto should be ahead of the Heat and Magic. In particular, I think the Heat's descent to the bubble and lottery begins this season.

I might have Sacramento a few spots higher, too.

Wouldn't it be something if Seattle and Portland get #1 and #2 again next year? I guess would REALLY want to save those two teams if that were the case.

OJ Mayo and Durant? or Mayo and Oden?

Is Mayo really the prize of next year's draft? Thats not a hypothetical question. I honestly have no idea. Who are the names to watch?

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Dumb rankings. Milwaukee at 18? Come on. That team is gonna be lucky to finish 13th.

Ok, I got this from "basketballbeat.com". It was the first such list I could find. This is their list of top 40 players

1. Tyler Hansbrough 6’9 230 Jr PF North Carolina - This Heel star has a high motor and is a strong post presence.

2. Derrick Rose 6’4 200 Fr PG Memphis - This Memphis star is an exceptional scorer and passer. He is capable of a Carmelo Anthony like impact for the Tigers and lead them to the Title Game like Carmelo did with Syracuse.

3.Chris Lofton 6’2 220 Sr SG Tennessee - This Vol is a great outside shooter who can create his own shot.

4.OJ Mayo 6’5 210 Fr PG/SG USC - Mayo is a triple threat player who can shoot, pass and defend well.

5. Roy Hibbert 7’2 278 Sr C Georgetown - Roy is an exceptional defender and rebounded with nice post moves.

6. Darren Collison 6’1 170 Jr PG UCLA - Darren is a great passer and excels in the open floor. Collison is also lightning quick.

7. Eric Gordon 6’4 200 Fr SG Indiana - Eric is a great scorer who can score from anywhere on the floor.

8 Chase Budinger 6’7 190 So SF Arizona - Chase is an athletic wing player with range from the 3pt line.

9. Brandon Rush 6’6 210 Jr SG Kansas - Rush is a big time wing player who can score from all places on the court.

10. Kevin Love 6’10 260 Fr PF UCLA - Kevin a big man who runs the floor and also rebounds very well. He can score from the block.

11.Michael Beasley 6’9 235 Fr SF Kansas St - Michael is a versatile player with tremendous leaping ability.

12. Tywon Lawson 5’11 175 So PG North Carolina - Tyson is a fast point guard with the ability to create for himself and teammates.

13.Hasheem Thabeet 7’3 265 So C Connecticut - Hasheem is a defensive presence with a ton of upside.

14. Drew Neitzel 6’0 180 Sr PG Michigan St - Drew is a great floor general. He is a pass first point guard.

15. DJ Augustin 5’11 175 So PG Texas - DJ is an excellent shooter with range, he is also a great passer.

16. Kosta Koufos 7’1 245 Fr C Ohio St - Kosta is a strong rebounded with range on his shot to the 3pt line and beyond.

17. Brook Lopez 7’0 240 So PF Stanford - Brook is a defensive presence with nice upside.

18. Robin Lopez 7’0 245 So C Stanford - Robin is a defensive presence who is a big time shot blocker.

19. Jerryd Bayless 6’3 193 Fr SG Arizona - Jerryd is an aggressive scorer who is very versatile.

20. Darrell Arthur 6’9 215 So PF Kansas - Darrell is an athletic rebounder and scorer for the Jayhawks.

21. Joseph Jones 6’9 250 Sr PF Texas A&M - Joseph is a strong rebounder and post presence for the Aggies.

22. DeAndre Jordan 7’0 240 Fr C Texas A&M - Jordan is a long defensive stopper with the ability to block shots.

23. Scotty Reynolds 6-0 170 So PG Villanova - Scotty is a big time scorer with a great 3pt shot.

24. Dominic James 5’11 175 Jr Pg Marquette - Dominic likes to create and is always in attack mode.

25. Bryce Taylor 6’4 205 Sr SG Oregon - Bryce is a good 3pt shooter and is also defends very well.

26. Ryan Anderson 6’10 235 So PF California - Ryan is a skilled post player and is good with his back to the basket.

27. DJ White 6’8 242 Sr PF Indiana - DJ has a tremendous face up game and is also a nice defensive presence.

28. Jamont Gordon 6’3 225 Jr SG Mississippi St - He's a nice left handed scorer who has a good mid-range game.

29. Kyle Weaver 6’5 201 SG Washington St - Kyle is very versatile and has tremendous upside.

30. Mario Chalmers 6’1 195 Jr PG Kansas - Mario has great court vision and an accurate shot from long range.

31. Taj Gibson 6’9 223 So PF USC - Taj is a strong rebounder and is capable of a double double every night.

32. Ronald Steele 6’3 185 Sr PG Alabama - Ronald is a good ball hander and excels in the open floor.

33. Nick Calathes 6’6 185 Fr SG Florida - Nick has a good basketball IQ and is very unselfish.

34. Sean Singletary 6’5 Sr PG Virginia - Sean is an excellent floor general who excels with his passing and scoring.

35. Marcelus Kemp 6’5 210 Sr SF Nevada - This Wolfpack star can do everything: he can defend, shoot, pass and post up.

36. Joey Dorsey 6’9 260 Sr PF Memphis - Joey is a strong rebounded and presence on the block.

37. Greivis Vasquez 6-5 195 So Pg Maryland - Greivis is a good passer and also leads the floor very well.

38. Bill Walker 6’6 220 So SF Kansas St - Bill is an athletic player with an amazing leap.

39. Kyle Singler 6’8 200 Fr SF Duke - Kyle is good perimeter player with the skills to post you up and shoot over you.

40. Stephen Curry 6’0 180 So SG Davidson - Stephen is a smart player with a high basketball IQ and a great 3pt shot.

Ugghhh. Those draft prospects look very underwhelming. I suppose someone could blow up but it just doesn't seem very good to me. There are some solid guys but to me it's a lot of players who are just nice. Of course I didn't know anything about Kevin Durant at this time last year either.

I haven't been paying attention to the NBA preseason at all so this was a mild surprise: apparently, Steve Francis is having trouble learing Adelman's offense in addition to showing up for camp fat and out of shape.

Yeah, that signing was a good idea. I'm glad the Rockets made that move...

Cleveland lost two players and added pretty much nothing so I guess that would justify them so low. I would love to say the Hawks should be higher, but have to wait till the games mean something to make that argument.

Even with the worse coach in the NBA, I think they could make some real noise if they stay uninjured.

You can complain about Boston but really, look at the teams around them. I think Dallas should be higher, but really, this team has the makings of something great. Often times you wonder how guys will mesh, but these three guys? I don't see how this could go wrong honestly.

I haven't been paying attention to the NBA preseason at all so this was a mild surprise: apparently, Steve Francis is having trouble learing Adelman's offense in addition to showing up for camp fat and out of shape.

Yeah, that signing was a good idea. I'm glad the Rockets made that move...

So the Rockets have:

Luther Head

Rafer Alston

Mike James

Steve Francis

Aaron Brooks

REALLY?

You don't think you should trade one or two of them for some front court or small forward help?

They absolutely should trade some of those guys. They've supposedly been trying to trade Alston, but nobody wants him with 3 yrs, $15 mil guaranteed left.

I hated the Steve Francis signing, if the sarcasm in my previous post didn't come through. James, Brooks, and Head would have been fine in the backcourt. Francis, in addition to probably being a bad fit for the new offense, just wasn't needed.

Ripper, since I don't know anything about the guy: what do you know about Scola? He's got to be better than Juwan Howard, but the Spurs basically gave him away, to a division rival, for nothing. Is there anything to read into that?

I'm fine with Battier at SF.

Guest Gym Class Fallout
Dumb rankings. Milwaukee at 18? Come on. That team is gonna be lucky to finish 13th.

Why are you so down on Milwaukee? They should at least be in the mix for a playoff birth in the East.

It's a berth, unless Michael Redd is pregnant. The other four teams in the Central are better. Boston is in. Jersey is in. Washington and Miami are in. New York will be on the fringe. I don't see where they fit into the picture here. They're going to get their ass waxed by the Pistons, Bulls, and LeBron James on a regular basis. They can't possibly win more than 38.

I think people counting in Miami are giving them way to many props. They are hurt at every position, it is basically a two man team and both of them are hurt.

With Scola, I obviously haven't seen him play much, but the Spurs didn't WANT to give him up at all. It was a case of might as well get something for him because he was going to sign a long term contract with another team and would never play for them anyway. I think they got, what, a second round pick for him?

They love Elsons athletism and Obertos smarts so that pretty much locked up the front court rotation with those two, Horry and Duncan.

Scola, when I have seen him play, looks like a nice offensive player, and can really pass well at the high post. He isn't that consistant with his 15 footer (although all the scouting reports I read said he is...maybe he has just had a off night the 8 or 9 times I have seen him play) He has okay dribbling skills.

I don't see him being able to defend...well...anyone. He is too slow for quick PF, and though he seems strong enough on the offensive end (he really bangs and moves people around) on the defensive end, he seems to lose all that strength. He isn't a great rebounder either.

I think you can expect something along the line of Oberto from San Antonio with a more aggressive and refined low post game and a better passer. Or a better comparison, he could be the Rockets Vlade Divac (Sacramento version) Defensively, you aren't losing or gaining anything between he and Juwan Howard, although I know that Juwan basically will NEVER miss that 15 foot jump shot so you might lose that.

And since he won't be able to share the low block with Yao, i think he will be a top of the key passing big man on offense.

Jesus, Portland is like 12 deep.

3 guys at point

Roy at the 2

Jones, Outlaw, Webster at the 3

LaMarcus, Channing Frye and Joel a the front two spots.

Thats the guys that really have to get PT.

Add in Oden and damn.

Jesus, Portland is like 12 deep.

3 guys at point

Roy at the 2

Jones, Outlaw, Webster at the 3

LaMarcus, Channing Frye and Joel a the front two spots.

Thats the guys that really have to get PT.

Add in Oden and damn.

Darius Miles is also coming back in a month or so. If they let him.

yeah, they have to trade him so I see them showcasing him when he gets back at the expense of Jame Jones.

How can you not be excited as a portland fan with the way that Aldridge plays. He is like a much better Channing Frye.

Guest Vitamin X

I am pretty excited as a Portland fan. That's why with Oden, I was calling playoffs and maybe even a division title.

Playing a close game with the defending champs on the road isn't too bad, either.

EDIT: Maybe I spoke too soon. Damn.

I am pretty excited as a Portland fan. That's why with Oden, I was calling playoffs and maybe even a division title.

Playing a close game with the defending champs on the road isn't too bad, either.

EDIT: Maybe I spoke too soon. Damn.

You're really taking this Portland thing and running with it, huh? You got a Columbia fleece and a Lucky Labrador t-shirt yet? Touting the virtues of PBR and Miller High Life?