TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NYU

Fat.

I'm 5'6" and I weigh 530 pounds. Well, 529.8 to be exact but I round up. (There, that wasn't so hard. I can totally do this.)

I have insulin resistance, hypertension, high cholesterol, gastroesophageal reflux disease, depression and social anxiety and am on medication for all of it. I take a lot of pills! I've had to sleep sitting up for the last several months. I do sleep but not long and not deeply…I miss dreaming. My circulation is horrible and my arms and legs frequently go numb or swell so badly I can't move and I feel as if the skin is literally going to split open. My poor circulation also causes severe discoloration all over the lower half of my body as well as both forearms. I have some issues with incontinence because I carry all of my weight in my belly and there's a lot of pressure on my bladder. My lower belly is so large and heavy that having it hang from my body is actually painful. I have a lot of problems with infections between my skin folds and summer really isn't helping matters. (Okay, that wasn't too bad either. Let's go a little deeper.)

I'm in pain every moment of every day. I can't walk or stand longer than a few seconds and I'm so afraid of my ankles or knees giving out from under me. Walking from my bedroom to the bathroom leaves me gasping for breath and my legs shaking from exertion. Usually I have to stop half way there and lean on something for a few seconds. Several months ago I had to get a disability placard for my car. God, I was so embarrassed by that. Not was. Am. I can't stand people seeing me park in the disabled spot. Sometimes…cough…sometimes if people are watching me, I totally fake a limp. Because I hate the idea of people thinking fat = disabled.

At the end of June I had to take a leave of absence from my job because getting out of bed and going to work every day was too painful and difficult. I had pushed myself for so many months, through the pain and exhaustion, and I just couldn't do it anymore. I was on the verge of physically and mentally collapsing and I couldn't bring myself to fake it for one more day. Plus, my seat belt doesn't fit me any longer and driving on the freeways in LA with no seat belt is a terrifying experience! Even more so when you take into account the fact that I was dozing off at the wheel (due my sleep issues) several times a week. Work was going to kill me one way or another!

There are friends I haven't seen in years. Good friends who I used to see regularly and who I've known for more than half my life. Who used to know everything about me until my reality became a secret. Now I lie to them about why we don't spend time together. Because I don't want to say, "I love you but it hurts me too much to walk. I love you and I miss you and it hurts not to see you but the physical pain is so much worse." So I say something vague about not feeling well which isn't really a lie but isn't really true either. Because I can't bring myself to tell them that every step feels like a thousand and my body is breaking. I've always been the strong one and I don't know how to admit I'm weak. (This is getting too hard. I don't want to do this anymore.)

I don't remember when it started. Because I didn't talk about it and I sure as hell didn't write about it. Probably a year ago, I'd guess. (I can't do it. I just can't. It's too embarrassing. I don't want people to see me differently. I don't want them to be disgusted by me. I don't want to…please don't make me say it. It's too much. I haven't even written it and I'm already crying…please…) I was no longer able to clean myself after going to the bathroom. Every time I went to the bathroom, I had to take a shower.

While I was at work I would try to hold it. I frequently made myself sick and gave myself painful stomach cramps doing so. I had IBS to begin with and that didn't help matters. Worse, it didn't always work. So I'd go to the bathroom and have to spend the rest of the day sitting in my own shit. Sometimes for one hour, sometimes eight. The physical discomfort was awful but nothing in comparison to the shame. Fuck. The shame. Wondering if you smell, wondering if people know, wondering if they talk about it when you're not in the room. Hoping that no one says anything so you stay as far away from everyone as possible. I felt so disgusting and so embarrassed that I just wanted to die. And I truly felt I would rather die than admit it to anyone. (Oh my god, what are people going to think of me now? I don't want to do this at all. Please let's stop Please, it's too much.)

I can't stand for more than a few seconds which made the frequent showering very difficult and painful. So, now my mom cleans me. I'm 28 years old and my mom has to wipe my ass. It's been a few months and I still apologize every time. Every single time even though she keeps telling me to stop. Because I'm just so embarrassed that I can't take care of myself.

Oh yeah…the whole showering thing. I can't do that anymore either. I haven't had a shower in months. Because I can't stand and because it's difficult for me to even fit inside the shower these days. My mom brings a bucket of warm water, baby soap, a wash cloth, and towel into my room and washes me. Sometimes I close my eyes and genuinely enjoy the feeling of becoming clean. But a lot of times I cry. I lay on my bed while my mom washes me and I cry.

I do that a lot. Cry. Sometimes I cry because I miss having a life and I want to do so many things but physically can't. Sometimes I cry because I don't know how much longer I can handle any of it. Sometimes it's out of shame. Sometimes it's from the pain. Sometimes it's because I can feel my body shutting down and I'm truly afraid I'm going to die very soon. Sometimes it's because I wish I were already dead.

And sometimes I cry out of sorrow. I place my hands on my belly and I whisper to my body how sorry I am. Sorry that she's going to have to be cut up; sorry that I couldn't fix things on my own; sorry that I let things go so far before I asked for help; sorry that she's hurting so much; sorry that I feel imprisoned by her; sorry that I don't always love her or treat her the way I should. I cry and I apologize for everything that's been done to her and for all the things to come. I cry and I thank her for being so strong and putting up with so much; asking her to hold on for just a little while longer and promising her that things will get better. I cry and I ask her to forgive me for what I have to do to her because it's the only option I have left. Because I know it's the best decision for me, no matter how hard it was to make.

Do I wish I didn't have to have weight loss surgery? Yes, of course. I wish I was strong and healthy and could honestly say that my weight isn't negatively impacting my life. But I can't, not now. I wish I didn't have to acknowledge the things I'm most shamed by and I could hide it all, pretending to be functional in order to save that single shred of humility I have left. But should I allow that wish to stop me from having wls when the alternative is becoming completely bed-ridden? Should I not have surgery simply because I don't want people to think less of me or to incorrectly assume the motivations behind it? Is it worth it?

A few days ago I had to go to the hospital to see a nutritionist. I needed them to bring a wheelchair to the parking structure because I barely made it from my car to the elevator before my legs nearly gave out and I couldn't breathe. I almost didn't do it. I almost turned around and left because I was too embarrassed to say that I needed a wheelchair. It was crossing a line I didn't ever want to cross. But I did it. Because practicality finally won out over pride. And, ultimately, that's what all of this has been about.

I absolutely believe there are people who weigh 530 pounds and are happy and healthy. I'd never be so myopic as to claim my experience as the norm. I also absolutely still believe that wls is dangerous, highly invasive and overly performed…if anything the last 16 months have made me even more critical of the entire industry. I'll never advocate wls or start proselytizing because "it changed/saved/fixed my life and it could do the same for you!" I will never be that asshole.

Edited by NYU

Which paragraph is the best:

Oh yeah…the whole showering thing. I can't do that anymore either. I haven't had a shower in months. Because I can't stand and because it's difficult for me to even fit inside the shower these days. My mom brings a bucket of warm water, baby soap, a wash cloth, and towel into my room and washes me. Sometimes I close my eyes and genuinely enjoy the feeling of becoming clean. But a lot of times I cry. I lay on my bed while my mom washes me and I cry.

or

And sometimes I cry out of sorrow. I place my hands on my belly and I whisper to my body how sorry I am. Sorry that she's going to have to be cut up; sorry that I couldn't fix things on my own; sorry that I let things go so far before I asked for help; sorry that she's hurting so much; sorry that I feel imprisoned by her; sorry that I don't always love her or treat her the way I should. I cry and I apologize for everything that's been done to her and for all the things to come. I cry and I thank her for being so strong and putting up with so much; asking her to hold on for just a little while longer and promising her that things will get better. I cry and I ask her to forgive me for what I have to do to her because it's the only option I have left. Because I know it's the best decision for me, no matter how hard it was to make.

Those are both good. My winner though is:

While I was at work I would try to hold it. I frequently made myself sick and gave myself painful stomach cramps doing so. I had IBS to begin with and that didn't help matters. Worse, it didn't always work. So I'd go to the bathroom and have to spend the rest of the day sitting in my own shit. Sometimes for one hour, sometimes eight. The physical discomfort was awful but nothing in comparison to the shame. Fuck. The shame. Wondering if you smell, wondering if people know, wondering if they talk about it when you're not in the room. Hoping that no one says anything so you stay as far away from everyone as possible. I felt so disgusting and so embarrassed that I just wanted to die. And I truly felt I would rather die than admit it to anyone. (Oh my god, what are people going to think of me now? I don't want to do this at all. Please let's stop Please, it's too much.)

While it certainly reads like Coffey, a little research shows that this is apparently a woman, which puts it in a different perspective

Namely that she should shoot herself

I'm actually fairly sympathetic to the morbidly obese. Mainly cause I used to go through a bag of cheeseburgers, or a whole pizza or some such like it was nothing, and be only somewhat overweight. Other people I know eat a comparable amount and are thin as a rail. Still others are fatasses. It's all just luck. Same reason I don't hate black people. They're not bad, just unlucky.

First, about being a BUTT Wipee — read anything by Harriett McBryde Johnson. We all come into this world as BUTT wipees, and many of us leave it that way, too. And, some of us are among the enwiped in the middle of our lives, too. We also can’t live without air, or food, or water, or gravity. Being and BUTT wiper/wipee is just one of those things human beings do.

I was on the subway earlier headed to work, and this fat girl was

yelling at these teenagers. They were cracking the super jokes

on her weight, and she goes "i'm miss thickness! Guys love me, you

don't know!" and one of the teenagers shouts "You're OG Fatness."

So, yeah.

OG Fatness.