TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 11/13 - 11/17

Just wondering Edwin but in that scenario why is LSU #4? They really didn't accomplish shit last year, didn't even win the SEC West. Didn't actually come in SECOND in the SEC West (Auburn beat them head to head). In such a system anyone who wins a BCS league would have to be seeded over the at large BCS bids.

I have a feeling that Hawaii is going to finally run out of luck next week. In fact Boise might beat the piss out of them.

-ACC, SEC, Big XII, Big Ten, Pac-10, SEC champs get automatic bids

Now I'm just curious. Did you misquote here, or did you leave the Big East out on purpose?

I'm more interested in how the SEC has two champions.

With Dixon done, Heisman begins and ends with Tim Tebow.

Agreed that he is deserving, unfortunately one big knock against him is that some voters are adamant that the award only be given to an upper-classman, no matter how much better the under-classman may have been

See also: Eric Crouch over Rex Grossman in '01

The one thing in Tebow's favor is how much hype this guy has. Everyone knew who he was coming into the season and expected him to be great. And he delivered. In my opinion him and McFadden are the two biggest names left.

Agreed that he is deserving, unfortunately one big knock against him is that some voters are adamant that the award only be given to an upper-classman, no matter how much better the under-classman may have been

Don't forget Matt Leinart over Adrian Peterson in '04. I think McFadden wins this one due to that upperclassman preference.

Just wondering Edwin but in that scenario why is LSU #4? They really didn't accomplish shit last year, didn't even win the SEC West. Didn't actually come in SECOND in the SEC West (Auburn beat them head to head). In such a system anyone who wins a BCS league would have to be seeded over the at large BCS bids.

I have a feeling that Hawaii is going to finally run out of luck next week. In fact Boise might beat the piss out of them.

Because they were #4 in the final BCS standings, before the bowl games. That's what I used to figure out the 12 teams, though my hypothetical selection committee would likely consider what you said there. And why would you have to seed conference champs over at-large bids by default? Seems more like a judgment call to me. The NFL gives division champs the 1-4, but since college conferences are so much larger than NFL divisions, the difficulty and strength of schedule is less easily distributed. Champs still get a bid, but a 3-loss conference champ isn't going to be seeded above a 1 or 2-loss 2nd place SEC team. You could easily flip it (seed BCS conference champs 1-6 based on ranking, then fill in the gaps for 7-12), but I don't see the appreciable advantage there.

Now I'm just curious. Did you misquote here, or did you leave the Big East out on purpose?

That's called "can't sleep and typing at 4 am." I'll leave it so someone shits their pants at the unfairness of it all.

In terms of games going on today that aren't imaginary, I think Ohio State's going to pull away in the second half. Henne's clearly still hurt and not getting the accuracy and strength he needs on his throws.

Don't forget Matt Leinart over Adrian Peterson in '04. I think McFadden wins this one due to that upperclassman preference.

Difference there is that Leinart and Peterson both had amazing seasons, whereas Grossman's numbers blew away Crouch's

Start of the 4th quarter in Knoxville, and Tennessee just cut the Vandy lead to 24-16. Wish we had this one on TV somewhere instead of the awful ND/Duke game and the LSU vs. worst team in the conference borefest.

Also of interest in the SEC right now when it comes to the last few bowl bids, Alabama is losing to UL Monroe 21-14 entering the 4th. If Vandy and Mississippi State can get to 7-5 both Alabama and South Carolina could be sitting at home this bowl season if they finish 6-6.

Guest Vitamin X
Also of interest in the SEC right now when it comes to the last few bowl bids, Alabama is losing to UL Monroe 21-14 entering the 4th. If Vandy and Mississippi State can get to 7-5 both Alabama and South Carolina could be sitting at home this bowl season if they finish 6-6.

Ha, couldn't happen to a better bunch of head coaches.

The Ole Miss coach needs to be punched right in the face. Brings in his back-up quarterback Schaeffer who marches Ole Miss down to the 8 yard line of LSU. He gets one delay of game penalty, brings back in the starting quarterback.

Starting quarterback then throws one ball that should have been intercepted followed by a ball that WAS intercepted. The coaches excuse for the change? He thought the other kid was rattled.

Frickin Schaeffer marched them down there and after ONE delay of game penalty, he's rattled? Admit it coach, you tried to catch LSU off guard with your own two quarterback set up and it failed miserably. It might have worked if Adams wasn't completely blind and understood basic coverage.

South Dakota State beat #2 North Dakota State: 29-24.

#8 UMass beat #22 Hofstra: 27-5.

In an FCS vs. FBS game, Georgia Southern is losing to Colorado State 42-34 with 1:35 left in the 4th quarter.

Vandy misses a 49 yard field goal in the final minute, Tennessee will hang on 25-24. That's it for their bowl hopes, even if they become eligible next week there is no chance of them getting an invite over an Alabama or South Carolina.

The Ole Miss coach needs to be punched right in the face. Brings in his back-up quarterback Schaeffer who marches Ole Miss down to the 8 yard line of LSU. He gets one delay of game penalty, brings back in the starting quarterback.

Starting quarterback then throws one ball that should have been intercepted followed by a ball that WAS intercepted. The coaches excuse for the change? He thought the other kid was rattled.

Frickin Schaeffer marched them down there and after ONE delay of game penalty, he's rattled? Admit it coach, you tried to catch LSU off guard with your own two quarterback set up and it failed miserably. It might have worked if Adams wasn't completely blind and understood basic coverage.

Dude, one delay of game penalty CALLED.

Ole Miss had to use their last two timeouts on that drive because he was running the play clock down to 1, closing on zero repeatedly and he wasn't halfway through his count yet.

Also, that LSU offsides call on the LSU 8 should've been delay of game as well, the clock had just hit zero when he ran (almost like a video game, you jump as it goes to zero because it's either a great jump or a delay of game, there's no risk).

I realize there's some delay between the clock hitting zero and the umpire noticing it and tossing the flag, but they could've been busted for DOG 4 or 5 times on that drive. It wasn't that he was rattled, it was that he couldn't get a fucking snap off in time and they had no more timeouts to save him.

It's over, Alabama loses to the #96 team in the BCS at home. This is quite the disastrous end to Nick Saban's first year. Vandy's loss doesn't lock up a bid for them either as if Mississippi State and South Carolina finish 7-5, the Tide would be the odd team out at 6-6 unless of course they upset Auburn.

Notre Dame is going to beat Duke which I'm actually happy with as I was fearing that Stanford would hand the Irish their 2nd win next week. Now I just have to worry about giving them their 3rd win which would still suck.

Can anyone explain how the hell Tennessee is 8-3 and on track to win the SEC East? It seems like I've seen them each time they've sucked hard this year (Cal, Bama, Florida) and also games like the SC game or Vandy when they barely stagger to a win.

UK seriously has to beat the Vols next week for a variety of reasons: The longest win streak aspect, to keep Tennessee from getting stomped to fatal hell by LSU, and also to give us a potentially good SEC title game with LSU vs. Georgia.

Guest Vitamin X
Just for Vitamin X...

Portland State defeated Northern Colorado by a score of 31-21.

That's good to know.

I just want Portland State to win a fucking game.

I sounded like Jim Mora Sr. there. "PLAYOFFS?!" Yay. 3-8 to finish the year~

The shame about this year was that it really did feel like the city and the university was really ready to support the team this year if they would finally go to the next level. PSU under Tim Walsh was a fairly decent team, but couldn't beat some of the higher FCS powers like the Montana teams, McNeese, etc.. At least it's good to say they ended the year on a good note, and next year they'll be a better team. Obviously, black was not their color.

Well, I went to the UM/OSU game and it was, without a doubt, the ugliest game I've ever seen...that pretty much sums it up.

What a way for Carr and the seniors to go out (no matter what happens in the bowl game).

Upsets continue in the FCS...

Looks like Villanova will have knocked off Delaware.

That makes the CAA bid interesting. Delaware beat James Madison but James Madison has the better overall record. Curious to see which team gets selected.

Just for Vitamin X...

Portland State defeated Northern Colorado by a score of 31-21.

Just for Vitamin X my large ass! nogoodnic goes to Portland State and I'm an alum. Go Vikings!

The postseason Big Ten picture should be interesting after today's games. Indiana and Michigan State pulled their respective upsets to get to 7-5 (and put Purdue at 7-5), while Western Michigan whacked Iowa to drop them to 6-6. Despite traveling like fiends, Iowa might get left out now.