TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Watchmen

IF THEY WIN THE CASE, it's because they have the legal grounds to win. If you're right, you're right.

And if the U.S. court system has taught us anything, it's that right always prevails. :rolleyes:

Just pulled this off of Yahoo:

Watchmen Heading to Trial Josh Grossberg

Wed Sep 3, 5:41 AM ET

Los Angeles (E! Online) - Judgment day for Watchmen is nigh.

A federal judge in Los Angeles has set Jan. 6 as the start of the showdown between 20th Century Fox and Warner Bros. over the movie adaptation of the vaunted graphic novel by Alan Moore and David Gibbons.

Watchmen has devolved from a comic book flick into a courtroom drama in recent months, as Fox came forward with a complicated case claiming it still owns the rights to Watchmen and is seeking to block the release of Warners' anticipated film.

Fox scored a legal victory last month when U.S. District Judge Gary Allen Feess ruled there was enough evidence to go to trial. But on Tuesday, he shot down Fox's request to halt the March 6 release of the Warners movie, helmed by 300's Zach Snyder and starring Patrick Wilson, Carla Gugino, Billy Crudup and Jackie Earle Haley as a group of ostracized former superheroes trying to save the world and themselves.

Instead, according to the Hollywood Reporter, Feess fast-tracked the trial, presumably giving the two studios a chance to reach a settlement in the matter before deciding on potentially harsher measures.

Well, that's good news at least. Hopefully this means that the film won't be shelved.

I think this is kinda cool. From Comic Book Resources...

WHO WATCHES THE BATMAN DVDS?

[Green Light]So, how are the "Watchmen" movie legal shenanigans going to shake themselves out? Let Lying In The Gutters give you the exclusive.

Currently the situation has Fox filing suit against Warners and other connected companies over the rights to produce and distribute the upcoming "Watchmen" movie, based on contracts signed a considerable while ago. And it appears that they have a very good case indeed.

But do Fox really want to make a “Watchmen” film of their own? Do they want the money from the Warners “Watchmen” film? Do they want a cut? A payoff? Or just holding up a rival?

None of the above. Sources tell me that Fox want the 1960s Batman TV series. Currently Fox own the TV footage, but Warner Bros own the characters and trademarks, via their ownership of DC Comics. The rights to a DVD release have been held up for a long time now, and this case looks like it may be the instrument to release them.

Oh, Fox will get a wodge of cash as well - many millions of dollars it seems. But it seems they also want the rights to release the Adam West-starring Batman on DVD, something long denied fans of the series. And Warners will get the “Watchmen” film, to release as planned.

There were comic fans who threatened Fox boycotts over what they saw as their scuppering of the Watchmen movie. Looks like they may soon have cause to thank Fox for this action.

That review has helped my hopes for the movie. He also answered one of my thoughts about whether we would be seeing a nude Dr. Manhatten.

Well, I got it for my birthday, sat down, and finished it the next day. Maybe I'm a sick fuck, but I like Rorschach. He truly doesn't give a fuck about anything except stopping crime, no matter what it takes. If anything, he's the only true "vigilante" among them because he has no limits. Maybe The Comedian, but I think he just got off on violence/killing. All in all, I enjoyed the darker feel of the comic (subject matter, overall tone, the Black Freighter excerpts) and I'm looking forward to the movie.

I still feel like the Watchmen is too long for one movie. There is way too much material to squeeze into four hours, let alone two hours. It's need a split so Snyder can show all his footage and not have to hack and slice it down.

It looks like pure comic panels come to life, it's more than impressive. Even the costume changes are more than acceptable. Gotta give the guy even more major props, he has done an amazing job with it. I just fear the editing is going to kill it.

supposedly...

instead of it being an alien squid and Aliens being the "boogeyman", Veidt makes it look like a Dr. Manhattan nuke energy thingie, basically Dr. Manhattan is the "bogeyman" for US/USSR to unite over, not aliens. It's a pretty good change I think though the carnage of the alien squid would still be awesome.

supposedly...

instead of it being an alien squid and Aliens being the "boogeyman", Veidt makes it look like a Dr. Manhattan nuke energy thingie, basically Dr. Manhattan is the "bogeyman" for US/USSR to unite over, not aliens. It's a pretty good change I think though the carnage of the alien squid would still be awesome.

I agree with what you said. I don't mind it that much. Might come of as good.

I'm really surprised with just how many articles openly discuss the ending. I almost feel like, with so many people having read the book, that they've been so public with all these alternate endings in an attempt to pull the wool over everyone's eyes, which is a pretty cool marketing device for the movie if you think about it.

Also, the new trailer that I saw before Bond was a bit silly. I didn't know the characters were going to be referring to themselves as "watchmen," as if that were the name of their group rather than Crimebusters; that's really, really lame.

Man, this just looks worse and worse to me. The fact that Owlman looks fit and young really irks me, too: I mean, his entire story is supposed to be him as a middle-aged man, looking back as his golden days.

I think there's something fundamentally weird about recreating a comic almost panel for panel, and then changing the ending. Odd.

I heard there's a part of the original ending that will make this cut.

I love the comic but the ending is sort of lame. Or at least the giant squid thing is. The rest of the ending is what's important.

I disagree. The Squid works because it's used as a means to bring humanity together, or at least that's what I always thought of it. Sure, it killed millions, but still. The thing is, the plot calls for an event that kills millions and causes Russia and the U.S. to sort their shit out. If they at least get that, I'll be satisfied.

Man, this just looks worse and worse to me. The fact that Owlman looks fit and young really irks me, too: I mean, his entire story is supposed to be him as a middle-aged man, looking back as his golden days.

1.) As Milky Said, you got his name wrong.

2.) If it makes you feel better,

rumor has it he can't get it up in this version either. So yeah, hopefully, he's still the same.