TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NHL Thread - December 2007

I forgot it was December 1 when I posted in the November thread, so here it is again...

Wow, six straight losses for Ottawa.

Gerber was pulled in the first after giving up 3 goals on 12 shots. He's gone back to his form from the start of last year. I hope this means they can start playing Emery regularly now. Too bad they couldn't have sold high on Gerber before he tumbled so far these past few weeks.

Hopefully the Kings get out of the bottom with a win tonight, against a Colorado team that struggled last night and had to travel. You have to beat teams on a 2nd of a back to back on the road. If they win and Calgary loses, they'd be up from 15th to 12th. Wild West. I have a good feeling about this month, in looking at the schedule. The Kings should win their share of games, provided that secondary scoring finally arrives.

I know absolutely nothing about hockey. Not a thing. 0-for-9 on the early games on Pro Line. Zero for fucking nine!

Defence? I have two. (That's two more than the Hurricanes, at least): I sincerely thought Jason Blake might not score another goal this year, and the Habs went out of their way to lose to the Predators.

Yeah, it looks like Huet will be seeing more and more pine with the combo of Price's solid play and his shitty play as of late. Sure the guy does make a ton of saves (40 on Saturday) but its the soft, shitty goals that are killing him.

TSN is reporting that Huet is day to day with a groin injury and that Price has the flu. They recalled Halak and he may be in net Tuesday against the Wings. Guess thats 2 points we won't be seeing....

Luongo's shutout streak ended last night. I think he got about 200 minutes.

The Wild commentary team sure is annoying though, I now share Bill Simmons' complaint about not always getting your team's feed

Riley Cote of the Flyers got suspended for three games for an elbow to the head of Matt Niskanen against the Stars on Saturday, and the organization has been warned by the league that there will be consequences if another Flyer is disciplined for a dirty hit.

I was wondering when the league was going to step in.

He deserves the suspension for just being a freaking moron. You know the league has a spotlight on you and he goes and throws a stupid hit. It wasn't especially dirty, but you have to know the situtation your team is in. I think part of it is that the Flyers don't have a legit heavy, so guys like Cote and Boulerice have to try to make a bigger impact then they are capable of legitimately doing.

I am waiting though for Marian Gaborik to be suspended for his flying elbow into Ryan Kesler's face.

As I said when the Downie hit first happened I didn't like the suspension, but if that was the new standard fine. How is a jumping elbow to the head any cleaner than a shoulder block to the head?

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

Fagtastic ruling by the league on that one. I advocate physical North American hockey.

He deserves the suspension for just being a freaking moron. You know the league has a spotlight on you and he goes and throws a stupid hit. It wasn't especially dirty, but you have to know the situtation your team is in. I think part of it is that the Flyers don't have a legit heavy, so guys like Cote and Boulerice have to try to make a bigger impact then they are capable of legitimately doing.

I am waiting though for Marian Gaborik to be suspended for his flying elbow into Ryan Kesler's face.

As I said when the Downie hit first happened I didn't like the suspension, but if that was the new standard fine. How is a jumping elbow to the head any cleaner than a shoulder block to the head?

Two games tops, if. Kesler wasn't unconscious like McAmmond was.

Guest Moots

Guitarist!

I have been telling you all year, Huet is what 35? Move him now while you can get something decent for him.

Huet looked absolutely horrible, especially in that shoot out, meanwhile price is what 15 for 18 against skaters in a shootout.

I will take a young, competent looking Price, over an aging, injury prone, Huet anyday.

And don't count out Halak against the Wings, I like Halak and hope he plays well.

Halak is 10-6 in his career, 2.89 GAA .906 Save%

Price is 6-3 this year 2.84 GAA .912 Save%

Very similar numbers.

God damn it Guy! Why are you putting Marc Streit on the top line? I don't want to see Boullion having more ice time than he needs.

Leafs win a season high 3rd game in a row, win back-to-back home games for the first time this season, AND Wade Belak scored.

When's the parade?

Wade fucking Belak scored?There's a lesson in karma to be had here, I think.

Mark Recchi has been waived. Maybe some former team should take a run at him, get some leadership on a team of college kids. I don't know. Does Montreal have a team? Yeah, I'm getting worried.

Edit: Poor Ottawa.

Speaking of Treble, I wonder if we'll see Michael Ryder in a Holiday Inn commercial?

"I was a hockey player"

"Where was this now, in Jamaica?"

"Might have been. Wasn't in Montreal, that's for sure".

Recchi salary is $1.75 million. I'd pick him up.

Price needs to be more aggressive in net. He stays back in the net too often, and two goals would have been stopped he was out playing the angle properly instead of giving the Wings a bigger target to shoot at.

Speaking of Treble, I wonder if we'll see Michael Ryder in a Holiday Inn commercial?

"I was a hockey player"

"Where was this now, in Jamaica?"

"Might have been. Wasn't in Montreal, that's for sure".

Poor Ryder. The guy is stuck in a slump that doesn't want to end. Considering that this is his 4ht season in the league and this is his first major slump, its not too bad. Still, he needs to start scoring, and soon. Even the fickle Montreal crowd started booing him last night.

As I type this, Ducks GM Brian Burke will be addressing the status of Scott Niedermayer. Many sources are reporting that he will indeed be returning.

EDIT: Niedermayer is returning and could be ready within 7-10 days.

Relying on Niedermeyer for this season is a bad idea. From what I've heard, he's definitely not playing next season, no matter what. And don't they have to clear more cap room due to some sort of 'tagging' thing with the contract? I've heard they might move Beauchemain out or someone else, which would be a bad move.

One of these years, the Kings are magically going to get good, and then, the whole team will get in a plane crash, so I won't have the pleasure of ever watching them be good in my entire life.

Or if we get the #1 overall pick, the player we draft will die in a boating accident two days later.

That is a pretty weird rule there, but if it means the Ducks need to unload a decent defenseman, then the rest of the league will love it now