TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

Wireless Router

Ok, so I have SBC Yahoo DSL, a PS3 and a Wii(well on Christmas I will).

Both consoles wi-fi compatible.

So, does the wireless router plug into the back of the computer where the current ethernet cable is that connects me to the internet? Do I need to buy anything besides the wireless router? I looked in the device manager and I have; 1394 Net Adapter and Intel®Pro/100 VE Network connection listed as my network adapters.

basically a wireless router hooks up just like a regular router.

Phone line to Modem-Modem to wireless router-and then if you need a line to connect to something, you can run a line from the wireless router to whatever.

Your Nintendo Wii has a wireless connect option in the system options menu. basically it's step by step intructions from there. With your computer and PS3 I can't help you there. Even though I have a wireless router, I run a line from it to my laptop because I don't know how to set up a wireless connection with my laptop. I think your PS3 works the same way as a Wii would..but I'm just guessing.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

Yes, the Ethernet cable that currently plugs into the back of your computer from the modem will now go into the input jack on the wireless router. There should be ~4 output jacks as well for devices that you want to plug directly in to the router (they don't need to connect to the network using an encryption key, either, if you have one on - and you should, WPA or WPA2 if it's available). That's all there really is to it, though you should follow the instructions that come with the router. There is a certain order they suggest you do things, and if you've never done it before it's best you do it the way they suggest.

If your current computer doesn't have a wireless card, you will want to use one of those 4 output jacks I was talking about to connect your computer back up to the wireless router. That would then leave 3 more devices (such as game systems) you could physically connect via cable to the device. The number of devices that can connect wirelessly is, for all intents and purposes, unlimited.

Yes, the Ethernet cable that currently plugs into the back of your computer from the modem will now go into the input jack on the wireless router. There should be ~4 output jacks as well for devices that you want to plug directly in to the router (they don't need to connect to the network using an encryption key, either, if you have one on - and you should, WPA or WPA2 if it's available). That's all there really is to it, though you should follow the instructions that come with the router. There is a certain order they suggest you do things, and if you've never done it before it's best you do it the way they suggest.

If your current computer doesn't have a wireless card, you will want to use one of those 4 output jacks I was talking about to connect your computer back up to the wireless router. That would then leave 3 more devices (such as game systems) you could physically connect via cable to the device. The number of devices that can connect wirelessly is, for all intents and purposes, unlimited.

Isn't the physical limit on the number of devices a single router can address 255? I mean, yes, for all intents and purposes, that's unlimited, and there are ways to get around that limit with creative router-ing.

Anyway, if you want your Wii to connect wirelessly, be sure to set the channel of the Wireless Router to 1 or 11. By default, it's usually 6. Nintendo recommends you do this to improve signal strength and speed, and it does just that.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

Isn't the physical limit on the number of devices a single router can address 255? I mean, yes, for all intents and purposes, that's unlimited, and there are ways to get around that limit with creative router-ing.

Probably. I don't think anyone's connecting more than 255 devices to a wireless router in a home scenario.

I can't remember whether or not these devices can do like 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.255.255 or if it's just 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.255 (for example).

So do they have routers that can be used wired and wireless at the same time? I know they have wireless ones where you can flip a switch and use them as wired routers, but do they have routers where you can maybe still have the PS3 plugged into the ethernet port while the wii is running wirelessly?

So do they have routers that can be used wired and wireless at the same time?

I can't think of a single wireless router that can't also simultaneously be used as a wired router. I didn't even know such a thing existed.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
So do they have routers that can be used wired and wireless at the same time? I know they have wireless ones where you can flip a switch and use them as wired routers, but do they have routers where you can maybe still have the PS3 plugged into the ethernet port while the wii is running wirelessly?

All wireless routers I know of also work as wired routers. That's why I said they have ~4 Ethernet jacks in the back for devices you want to physically connect to the router. There is no switch to flip, as there is no switch that needs to be flipped. I have never heard of the device you are referring to with a switch to go between the two. If you know of one, don't buy it, because it's made by a company full of dumb people.

I think wireless boosters might not have Ethernet jacks. But you don't want that anyway, as you have no wireless signal to boost without the router in the first place.

Why would you want to get a wireless booster? It would probably be cheaper to get a router with a larger broadcast range. That and using a booster can cause some issues as boosting a shitty signal can usually result in a shitter signal....just more wireless bars.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Why would you want to get a wireless booster? It would probably be cheaper to get a router with a larger broadcast range. That and using a booster can cause some issues as boosting a shitty signal can usually result in a shitter signal....just more wireless bars.

I'm just saying that the only wireless routing device I can think of that doesn't have wired jacks as well would be a wireless booster. I didn't suggest he get one.