TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

The OAO WWE DVD Thread

Other than price, what is the difference between buying the anthologies (Royal Rumble, WM, etc.) in different volumes versus buying the entire set in one package? Do you get a special case or something?

I'm totally targetting the Edge DVD, next year. It's about time. I hope they begin his WWE story with the covering on his "Tortured Soul" gimmick, as well as The Brood.

I'm pretty sure as far as burial jobs go if the person owns their name, they can sue for being buried. I know for a fact that Sting owns his name, but I would never worry about him being buried. I'm not sure about a guy like Savage, but if he owns the intellectual rights to his name, and they drag it through the mud. I'm sure if he wanted to he could sue just like the Warrior. That is what I was saying. I'm not studying law or anything so maybe if there is someone on the boards who is in that field they can clear that up for me. I'd just think if a company releases footage that they own, which they have the right to, but accompanies it with a bunch of guys saying "savage and warrior were both pyschos and douchebags blah blah blah" that the victim of the burial could do something about it.

I'm pretty sure as far as burial jobs go if the person owns their name, they can sue for being buried. I know for a fact that Sting owns his name, but I would never worry about him being buried. I'm not sure about a guy like Savage, but if he owns the intellectual rights to his name, and they drag it through the mud. I'm sure if he wanted to he could sue just like the Warrior. That is what I was saying. I'm not studying law or anything so maybe if there is someone on the boards who is in that field they can clear that up for me. I'd just think if a company releases footage that they own, which they have the right to, but accompanies it with a bunch of guys saying "savage and warrior were both pyschos and douchebags blah blah blah" that the victim of the burial could do something about it.

It all depends on whether or not the DVD defames the person involved. If the DVD is overtly negative, but WWE can back up everything they said with solid proof, then there's no problem, but if they're just flat out lying, or running the guy down for no other useful purpose than to rake him through the coals, then they could potentially be sued to character defamation and / or slander. In the face of The Warrior, both he and WWE had a legally binding agreement that neither would make negative comments about the other in and public forum, and WWE breached their part of the agreement.

Maybe it's a carrot/stick situation to get Savage to come back for the Hall of Fame. Play nice and you get a positive DVD edit, decline the invite or be an ass and you get a hatchet job. Didn't Bret have to play nice in order to get a positive edit for his DVD?

There were a variety of reasons why Bret played nice to make that DVD. I remember reading a story about him where he saw a 4 year old kid at the dentist playing with wrestling figures and one of them was a Bret Hart figure and the kid didn't know who Bret was. So he decided with all these new wrestling fans that have come into the scene since Bret left the national spotlight that he had to do the DVD with WWE in order to get this new generation to see him in his prime.

Also, he wanted to get the rights to some WWE owned pictures for his book (which I don't even think he ended up using?) Whenever I see the cover of his book I think to myself, "what a mark".

Can't wait for the Savage DVD because I have never seen Warrior/Savage from SummerSlam and I want to see it. (It's not on youtube).

Yeah I remember having those arguments last year along with similar arguments about Cena. On the net it often becomes "we don't like something so it failed", but I digress. With the Shawn, Rey, and Cena DVD sales for this year, PWI did the numbers and showed how within a few months all of those DVDs are almost at the to-date sales of the DVDs released on the same people in 2003-2004.

I was watching the 1991 Rumble last night... 3 HOURS and 5 MINUTES? Holy hell, I thought all the old Rumble shows topped out at 2.5 hours. The Mountie/Koko match cut from VHS isn't even that long but I'm not sure what else I don't remember seeing from when I last saw the 91 Rumble on VHS years ago. spman says Barbarian / Bossman was also cut, but that would mean Warrior/Slaughter is match #2 on the Coliseum tape and I don't think it is. I think the VHS starts with a USA chant and Vince doing a 30 man rollcall while the DVD (which I have to assume is how the original PPV opened) has the national anthem followed by someone that sounds a BIT like Gene Okerlund (if his voice were severely altered via sound mixing) which I now recall someone mentioning about the original release last spring. Does anyone know if Vince's intro really was part of the original PPV and, for some reason, they don't have the rights to that Rumble theme and Vince didn't have the time to re-record 30 names? I guess I'll find out (or someone could tell me) about the theme song issue when I watch the 92 Rumble.

I don't care for (what I think are) altered Mania VI ads on the 90 Rumble. I remember the commercials having the classic early 90s Mania theme (my favourite one) followed by like, Mr. Fuji jogging and such. On the DVD, it's a generic logo with a generic song. Why not just cut it entirely?

on the dvd sets, the song from the 91 rumble is also on the 92 one, and on the 94 one. Im pretty sure they just dubbed this over the classic rumble theme cuz on one of the shows-cant remember which now- you can hear about a second of the old song, which oddly enough was not edited on 24/7 when they showed summerslam 89 (which also used that song as an intro video package)

and no we still have no raw set here, despite the fact that the system shows we have a bunch (someones a thief, no its not me :P )

Rumble 92 has a brief 4 second or so sound byte of the "right" theme. It's sad that got lost, I loved it. At least I have the mp3s of the real opening from 91 and 92.

What's really inconsistent is the fact that on the 96 and 97 Rumbles - now that every guy has entrance music - they can use "Don't Go Messin With a Country Boy", The Orient Express theme (gone from 91 and 92) for Omari, and the Luchadores come out to music that got overdubbed in their non-Rumble match. I'm assuming this has to do with the fact I think you're legally allowed to play x-amount of seconds/notes of a song before you need to pay for it, and 5-10 seconds for entering the Rumble is fine, I guess.

Anyone else curious about the fact that if they do the Sting DVD, how are they going to cover his start in the business? Does anyone think they might be cutting a deal with Bill Watts' ex-wife for access to the Mid-South library in the near future?

Anyone else curious about the fact that if they do the Sting DVD, how are they going to cover his start in the business? Does anyone think they might be cutting a deal with Bill Watts' ex-wife for access to the Mid-South library in the near future?

Nah, they would've crossed that bridge with the Warrior dvd already. They can easily start with the WCW/UWF merger.

Nah, they would've crossed that bridge with the Warrior dvd already. They can easily start with the WCW/UWF merger.

Forgot about that... very good point.

I know Watts ran Mid-South and UWF, so I assume whoever owns the Mid-South library owns the UWF library. They have been releasing a series called "Heroes, Villians, and Midgets" or something like that. The dvds are basically best of Mid-South collections. I'd assume they'll do the same with UWF, and last I checked they sell Mid-South and UWF off a website as well.

I think the word going around is the person who owns the library wants an enormous sum of money for it, which is why WWE won't buy it.

I know Watts ran Mid-South and UWF, so I assume whoever owns the Mid-South library owns the UWF library. They have been releasing a series called "Heroes, Villians, and Midgets" or something like that. The dvds are basically best of Mid-South collections. I'd assume they'll do the same with UWF, and last I checked they sell Mid-South and UWF off a website as well.

I think the word going around is the person who owns the library wants an enormous sum of money for it, which is why WWE won't buy it.

It's Bill Watts' ex-wife who owns the library, and you're right... her asking price has to be through the roof otherwise the WWE would have bought it a long time ago considering how many stars passed through that territory and how influential it was.

As in, inside the disc one case? Because the set looked just like it did at other stores- 3 slimline cases inside a box.

I'm used to the Wal-Mart bundles having the normal set, and then the bonus DVD attached to the back of the box.

According to a news item sent to PWI by Jeremiah Evans (though I don't know where he took this from, I don't see it on the DVD section of WWE.com), this is the full calendar for 2008:

1/08 - Royal Rumble Anthology Volume 4

1/15 - Armageddon 2007

2/12 - Legacy of Stone Cold Steve Austin

2/26 - Royal Rumble 2008

3/25 - Triple H: The King of Kings - There is Only One

3/25 - No Way Out 2008

4/01 - To Be Announced (huh?)

5/06 - Evolution of the Hardys

5/20 - WrestleMania 24

5/27 - Backlash 2008

6/03 - The Rock: The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment

6/17 - Judgment Day 2008

7/01 - One Night Stand 2008

7/08 - Best of Starrcade

7/22 - Vengeance 2008

8/05 - SummerSlam: Complete Anthology Box Set

8/19 - The Great American Bash 2008

9/09 - Life and Times of Mr. Perfect

9/16 - SummerSlam 2008

10/07 - Complete Hell (Hell in a Cell compilation)

10/14 - Unforgiven 2008

11/04 - Edge

11/04 - No Mercy 2008

11/18 - Randy Savage: Macho Madness

11/25 - Cyber Sunday 2008

12/09 - Sting

12/23 - Survivor Series 2008

On a different, personal note, I came to my senses today and realized - shortly before Amazon prepared it for shipping and thus I would have paid for it - that nice box design or not buying Volume IV of the Rumble Anthology would have been silly. I just ordered a copy of 2007 instead.

According to a news item sent to PWI by Jeremiah Evans (though I don't know where he took this from, I don't see it on the DVD section of WWE.com), this is the full calendar for 2008:

11/18 - Randy Savage: Macho Madness

It's about fuckin' time.

So if all of those are true, the non-PPV DVD's consist of:

Stone Cold Steve Austin

Triple H

The Hardys

The Rock

Best of Starrcade

Mr. Perfect

Hell In A Cell

Edge

Macho Man

Sting

Well done WWE, you will take a lot of people's money this year, as I can honestly say that each one interests me a least enough to think about purchasing it.

Stone Cold Steve Austin

Triple H

The Hardys

The Rock

Best of Starrcade

Mr. Perfect

Hell In A Cell

Edge

Macho Man

Sting

Well done WWE, you will take a lot of people's money this year, as I can honestly say that each one interests me a least enough to think about purchasing it.

Almost all of the above are already available for pre-order on amazon.com. Austin's match listing should be available in the next week or so if history is any indication.

I'll be getting the Austin for sure.

HHH depends...I can't really think of a big HHH match that I don't already have on a previous release.

I'm not a big Hardy's fan but I'll wait for the match listing.

Rock is a no brainer.

Perfect is a no brainer.

Edge...again I think I have most of the Edge matches I like already but we'll see.

Savage is a yes.

Sting is a yes.

Starrcade I'll have to wait for the match listing.

HIAC I've seen them all and the ones I liked I'm pretty sure I have on various tapes.

The Hardy's one interests me in the fact that the documentary part will be interesting, at least if the WWE lets it be.

Best of Starrcade I would settle for it done like the Flair DVD where they have the people talk about it briefly before the matches. I don't think it was a big enough event to warrant a long doc.

I was hoping they would bring out a Hell in the Cell comp, and I'm happy to see they are coming out with one.

6/03 - The Rock: The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment

Finally.

Stone Cold Steve Austin

Triple H

The Hardys

The Rock

Best of Starrcade

Mr. Perfect

Hell In A Cell

Edge

Macho Man

Sting

lol agreed. I dont even want to count the money I have spent in the last 3 years on all the awesome wwe dvds

I alreayd preordered armageddon and rumble at deepdiscount.com since my CC hasnt been carrying the dvds lately.

Hopefully it has a decent amount of AWA matches. Didn't he and Scott Hall team up there?

Vs. Blue Blazer at WM V. Fun, short match.

Both I-C Title wins. I haven't seen the Tito match, but they would be nice to have for historical value.

SNME Battle Royal from 1991.

Both Bret matches. (I know people may be mad that its on Harts DVD, but they were two of his better matches.)

Savage-Perfect v. Flair-Ramon from SS 92.

Hopefully War Games 1997, because to me that was his only notable match in WCW.

Thats the thing with Hennig. I think the documentary and vignettes will be good, but I can't think of a dozen matches that makes me think I WANT this DVD.

That said, with the right mix of everything it could be a good one.