TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

The OAO WWE DVD Thread

I'm trying to pick matches that won't make other DVDs. I'm keeping the first match in the 80s, and Snuka/Muraco with the cage dive, but my #3 80s match was Honky taking the belt over Steamboat. That match won't make other DVD sets like Savage/Steamboat WM3 will. I don't even know why Warrior/Honky is a choice, that match was what, 45 seconds?

90s I went Razor/Douglas, Austin/Rock and Chyna/Jarrett (even though there's no way in hell the third match makes the DVD)

2000 I went Flair/HHH in a cage, Van Dam v Hardy and for some reason Marella v Umaga in Italy.

They seriously need Pat Patterson winning the tourney in Rio for the newly created title :)

Lineup for the Mr. Perfect DVD, courtesy of Silver Vision

Curt Hennig, better known as Mr. Perfect, competed for the American Wrestling Association, World Wrestling Entertainment and World Championship Wrestling. Born the son of legendary Larry “The Axe” Hennig, it was perhaps inevitable that Curt would want to follow in his father’s footsteps. But Mr. Perfect lived up to his moniker becoming one of the best in-ring technicians of his generation. A former AWA World Heavyweight Champion, he was also the longest-reigning Intercontinental Champion of the 1990s. Loved by fans and friends alike, Mr. Perfect entertained in and out of the ring, earning him the honour of induction into the WWE Hall of Fame. This two-disc set relives his life and career, from his early start as a second-generation star through AWA, WWE, and WCW. Some of his greatest matches and vignettes are included. Who was this man? Here’s a hint… he was absolutely “perfect”.

Disc 1

Perfection

Twin City Origins

Building a Path

AWA

Mr. Perfect

Living up to His Name

Intercontinental Champion

The Prankster

Commentator

WCW

Return to the WWE

A Sudden Tragedy

Hall of Fame

The Perfect Legacy Lives On

Curt Hennig vs. Eddie Gilbert

Madison Square Garden (21/11/82)

Curt Hennig & Scott Hall vs. Steve Regal & Jimmy Garvin

AWA Championship Wrestling (26/11/85)

Mr. Perfect Hall of Fame Induction

WWE Hall of Fame (31/03/07)

“Rap is Crap” Music Video

Vignettes

Billiards October 1, 1988

Golf – Perfect Putt October 1, 1988

Darts October 8, 1988

Bowling October 8, 1988

Chess October 15, 1988

Basketball October 15, 1988

Ping Pong October 28, 1989

Diving November 4, 1989

Golf – Perfect Drive November 4, 1989

Horseshoes November 24, 1989

Baseball with Wade Boggs December 26, 1992

Football – Perfect Passer with Steve Jordan February 13, 1993

Basketball with Felton Spencer February 27, 1993

Hockey with Mike Modano March 13, 1993

Stories

Curt Loved Karaoke

Lifestyles of Mr. Perfect

Disc 2

60-Minute Time Limit AWA World Heavyweight Championship Match

Curt Hennig vs. Nick Bockwinkel

AWA Championship Wrestling (15/11/86)

Curt Hennig vs. Terry Taylor

Commentary By: Michael Cole & Mick Foley

WrestleFest (31/07/88)

Mr. Perfect vs. Bret Hart

Madison Square Garden (24/04/89)

WWE Championship Match

Mr. Perfect vs. Hulk Hogan

Madison Square Garden (15/01/90)

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match with Special Referee Roddy Piper

Mr. Perfect vs. The Texas Tornado

Madison Square Garden (24/11/90)

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match

Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect

SummerSlam (26/08/91)

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match

Mr. Perfect vs. Shawn Michaels

SummerSlam (30/08/93)

Curt Hennig vs. Bret Hart

Uncensored (15/03/98)

That Mr. Perfect set looks really sweet, although the SSlam match with HBK is rather poor given the people involved. I would have preferred an unedited version of the Perfect/Flair loser leaves RAW match. I'm also surprised they included that 60 min. match with Bockwinkel. I've heard nothing but good things about that series so it should be great.

Regarding the IC dvd set, I also picked mostly rare matches. Here are my choices:

80's

Santana vs. Orton (MSG)

Savage vs. Steamboat (Boston Garden)

Honky Tonk Man vs. Savage (MSG)

90's

Perfect vs. Santana (SNME)

Hart vs. DiBiase (MSG)

Diesel vs. Razor (Superstars)

2000's

Guerrero vs. Jericho vs. X-Pac (SD!)

RVD vs. Hardy (RAW)

Shelton vs. Jericho vs. Christian (RAW)

Yes! Finally Rap is Crap on DVD!

I'm also happy that they got the Terry Taylor/Curt Hennig match from WrestleFest on there. That match has never been televised in any form IIRC and supposidely stole the show. I'd like a couple more matches and putting Shawn Michaels/Mr. Perfect on there is a slight headscratcher but otherwise, it's a perfectly fine match selection.

I would've had Perfect Vs. The Blue Blazer (WM 5), Vs. Santana (for the IC title win), Vs. Flair (RAW match) Vs. Savage in WCW on there, but that's just me. Looks good though.

I would've had Perfect Vs. The Blue Blazer (WM 5), Vs. Santana (for the IC title win), Vs. Flair (RAW match) Vs. Savage in WCW on there, but that's just me. Looks good though.

Really?

Well I'm only aware of one (though I'm sure there were more) from a Nitro that just aired on 24/7 and it was nothing to post on forums about. Savage was pretty banged up by the time Hennig made it to WCW (that didn't stop me from marking out over him winning the WCW title for a day in 1998 though).

I barely remember those two wrestling. Savage in '98/'99 was just depressing to watch. Heck, Hennig's WCW run wasn't all that much better. I don't think you would find a lot of people who would have been up in arms if they didn't put any of his WCW matches on the special features. The Rap is Crap music video is all you really need.

Hennig's WCW run was very forgettable. I would've just put some of his WCW highlights on there. (The Wargames with Flair, winning the US title, the Hennigplex to the Giant, some of the Flair feud highlights).

His best match in WCW, imo, was the tag match with him and Windham vs. Malenko and Benoit for the Tag Titles, and obviously that's not gonna make the DVD.

They missed some really good matches, but WWE hasn't been good with match selection on DVDs, as a whole. I do have to say I'm glad the Shawn Michaels SS 1993 match is on there, because while it's not up to expectations, I think it's very good.

I would've added the Doink KOTR qualifier match, the Survivor Series 1992 return, his match with Jerry Lawler, and taken off the Uncensored Bret Hart Match.

It's mind boggling to go through the Amazon.com "reviews" of the new Flair set and other wrestler-specific releases. Almost all of them are One-Star ratings with a list from the reviewer of the matches that THEY think should have been on the DVD. On one of the Undertaker sets, some guy lists literally EVERY PPV match he ever had in his "version" of how it should be.

Wrestling fans have too much time on their hands.

People aren't happy when matches are on more than one DVD release, then are unhappy when WWE starts putting rarer matches on releases because it's 'not a complete career retrospective like it should be'.

These people cannot be pleased.

Yeah, I saw more than one HBK DVD review complaining about the lack of certain matches (ex. Mania X ladder match) but then openly admitting they realize it's on another DVD they already own, they just thought it would have helped the overall package. Ok then.

People aren't happy when matches are on more than one DVD release, then are unhappy when WWE starts putting rarer matches on releases because it's 'not a complete career retrospective like it should be'.

These people cannot be pleased.

I love when something other than the usual suspects is on a DVD. Usually, I haven't seen it and since I haven't seen it, it's new to me.

I just wish they'd release a damn Jericho (or at least Edge) DVD already

Yeah Jericho and Edge would be nice. I would be happy with an Undertaker Bio one where he actually talks. Probably won't happen.

And because I am a sick freak, I wouldn't mind a JBL DVD. Mainly because he has been with the company now 13 years and the stories would be interesting.

Yeah, I saw more than one HBK DVD review complaining about the lack of certain matches (ex. Mania X ladder match) but then openly admitting they realize it's on another DVD they already own, they just thought it would have helped the overall package. Ok then.

I would agree that the WM X Ladder match should be on the HBK DVD. If your a super HBK fan buying the DVD for HBK's greatest moments, you'd be shocked that it wasn't on there. But I agree their are plenty of other releases by WWE releases with the match, so any super wrestling nerd shouldn't complain.

I would be happy with an Undertaker Bio one where he actually talks. Probably won't happen.

They already did, though it is impossible to find now adays. It's called "This is My Yard", and it goes though his early WCW days to his time as the Underbiker. It was actually a very good DVD, and I'm sorry I got rid of it.

I would be happy with an Undertaker Bio one where he actually talks. Probably won't happen.

They already did, though it is impossible to find now adays. It's called "This is My Yard", and it goes though his early WCW days to his time as the Underbiker. It was actually a very good DVD, and I'm sorry I got rid of it.

It's ridiculously rare like a few of the late 2001, early 2002 releases. It's a decent DVD for that era (I found it for $10), but it goes for $30 on Amazon Marketplace or Half.com, and can be just as much on auction at eBay. Not worth it for that price, but if you can find it used for $10 or less, it's worth it.

Speaking of rarer DVDs, I found the two-disc version of the Ultimate Warrior DVD at my local Gamestop for $2.

The first "holy shit they're using WCW footage" DVD I remember buying was the nWo "Back in Black" DVD, from mid-2002. It was right before Scott Hall was fired (again), as he's interviewed on the disc like his future is just as bright as Nash's and Hogan's. Later, I can remember the trailers on subsequent releases said it was "what proved to be Scott Hall's swan song in the WWE", or something to that effect. And, that DVD sucked, mostly because half of the disc consisted of the 2002 nWo vs. Hogan/Rock feud, with lengthly video packages. You could tell it was a rush job....or the WWF/E tooting their own horn.

$19.99 is the Amazon sale price, I can tell you that much. That's a good price for 3 discs.

I got the Austin and Rock 3 DVD sets at Best Buy for $20 total, though they were $15 each but I had a $10 RZ gift card. Not to mention Rey and HBK's sets for $12 each and the horsemen set for 90 pepsi points.

I was hoping someone would go lower than $19.99 even like $17.99 or a freebie with purchase but nothing..bah.

It's ridiculously rare like a few of the late 2001, early 2002 releases. It's a decent DVD for that era (I found it for $10), but it goes for $30 on Amazon Marketplace or Half.com, and can be just as much on auction at eBay. Not worth it for that price, but if you can find it used for $10 or less, it's worth it.

Speaking of rarer DVDs, I found the two-disc version of the Ultimate Warrior DVD at my local Gamestop for $2.

There's a 2-disk Ultimate Warrior? What's on disk 2?