TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

2008: The Year in Music

September 15th 1983? I think that's my least favorite song on that CD. I think How To Embrace A Swamp Creature is probably my favorite track on that one.

If we're talking songs though, I think my favorites are as follows

Radio Christiane and Rich Girls by The Virgins

Walcott by Vampire Weekend

You! Me! Dancing! by Los Campesinos! (Why are exclamation marks suddenly trendy?)

the aforementioned How To Embrace a Swamp Creature

Ghosts Under Rocks by Ra Ra Riot (this doesn't come out til August 19th, but it was on their EP and I know I love it. also they had dinner at my house, so they automatically kick ass)

So we're halfway through the year, what are everyone's favorite albums so far?

So far, it's

Portishead-Third

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds-Dig Lazerus Dig!!!

Earth-The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull

Nachtmystium-Assassins: Black Meddle, Pt. 1

Spiritualized-Songs in A & E

Cut Copy-In Ghost Colors

Boris-Smile

Over the next few days, I'm going to give The Carter III a listen, as well as the new ones from Bonnie "Prince" Billy and Opeth.

ALBUMS

1. Fuck Buttons - Street Horrsing

2. The Cool Kids - The Bake Sale EP

3. Times New Viking - Rip It Off

4. Spiritualized - Songs in A&E

5. Excepter - Debt Debt

SONGS (excluding those contained on the above-listed albums)

1. Young Jeezy ft. Kanye West - "Put On"

2. Titus Andronicus - "Titus Andronicus"

3. Beach House - "Gila"

4. Kidz in the Hall ft. Pusha T, Bun B and The Cool Kids - "Drivin Down the Block (Remix)"

5. T.I. - "No Matter What"

6. Scarlett Johansson - "Fannin Street"

7. Lil Wayne ft. Fabolous & Juelz Santana - "Nuthin' On Me"

8. Erykah Badu - "The Healer"

9. M83 - "You, Appearing"

10. Kanye West - ""Summer Jam Freestyle""

I heard "Put On" for the first time Saturday night. It's awesome.

I don't really have any favorite albums from this year yet. I rarely do by this point--haven't heard enough, haven't heard enough in-depth. I like No Age and Times New Viking on a few listens. A few songs off both the Crystal Castles and M83 albums are great. I have the Fuck Buttons album but haven't listened to it all the way through yet. And I haven't bothered to listen to Portishead or Wayne or way too many things. Extremely high hopes for today's Wolf Parade release, though. The new songs they played live last August were kind of stunning.

So far:

1. Why? - Alopecia

2. Sigur Ros - Meo Suo i Eyrum vio Spilum Endalaust

3. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!

4. Times New Viking - Rip It Off

5. Spiritualized - Songs In A&E

The new Magnetic Fields and Silver Jews albums were slightly disappointing, but each had their moments. The new Bauhaus is awful. I think that's about it, as far as albums I've heard from this year.

I just realized that excluding Why? and Times New Viking, my two big discoveries of the year, I was previously a fan of every other artist I've mentioned in this thread. I need to expand my horizons.

Oh, and I'm also in possession of the new Robert Pollard album, but have yet to listen to it. That also falls into the category of "artists I love and know to at least expect some quality from".

I like portishead and all, but I am just not feeling their newest album. I don't know why. Its one of those albums like the Clipse last album. I keep listening to it because I feel like I am supposed to like it, but I just....don't.

I like portishead and all, but I am just not feeling their newest album. I don't know why. Its one of those albums like the Clipse last album. I keep listening to it because I feel like I am supposed to like it, but I just....don't.

I thought I was the only one who felt that about Clipse's last. I haven't picked up the new Portishead album, mostly due to fear of being disappointed.

Is Clipse's latest "Hell Hath No Fury"? because it's the only one by them I've heard, I strongly disliked it and I don't want to hear anything by Clipse again. I don't really know hip hop though.

Is Clipse's latest "Hell Hath No Fury"? because it's the only one by them I've heard, I strongly disliked it and I don't want to hear anything by Clipse again. I don't really know hip hop though.

Yeah, thats the album. very rare is it for me to dislike a album the more i hear it, but the more I listened to that crap, the more I thought it was horrible. Yet, it still gets praise by some.

"Put On" is fantastic stuff even with Yeezy on the vocorder.

"Pocket fulla cellery/imagine what she tellin' me" <----- Line of The Year

that? that's what your think is line of the year?

the wolf parade is crazy good.

I don't get what the Pitchfork reviewer (Amanda Petrusich, I think?) was on about. Score's fine, but her chief complaint seemed to be that it fell off in the second half. I kind of think the exact opposite.

The rhythm section is really foregrounded here and sounds great. Very pleased with this one.

Whoah whoah whoah.

I can understand not liking HHNF but that under no circumstances is a horrible album.

Oh its quite horrible to me. It is downright bad. I was trying to convince myself otherwise, but yeah. Its pretty bad. I can't imagine ever being more disappointed in a album after loving the We got it 4 cheap mixtapes and Lord Willin'. So its not like I don't like the clipse. Just that album was pretty bad.

That first Wolf Parade album bored me. I've heard enough good things about the second to want to give it a try, but is it more of the same? If it is, I probably won't like it.

I don't get what the Pitchfork reviewer (Amanda Petrusich, I think?) was on about. Score's fine, but her chief complaint seemed to be that it fell off in the second half. I kind of think the exact opposite.

The rhythm section is really foregrounded here and sounds great. Very pleased with this one.

agreed. everything she seemed to like about the album was typified in the last half, not the first. the first half was like the first album, the second half is the beginning of everything great.

and to the dunce who found the first album boring, stay away from this. you'll get lost in your boredom.

I like The Carter 3, though I can't say it's the best Hip Hop album of the year. It's just missing something IMO, if I could only put my finger on what it is that's missing...Maybe I should give Kidz in the Hall a shot.

k05260ligot.jpg

Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles

Sounds like a concept album about a tumultuous relationship between a bi-polar girl and an Atari soundchip. It's pretty amazing. Listen to it.

Hey, remember when it was revealed that these guys stole a bunch of beats for their album?

You must be some kind of mean old grouch who hates fun or something.

It's two British dudes ripping off an idea for a Black Rob song, that was a summer banger. And they're just jumpin' around rapping to a horribly generic techno beat. That shit was aweful, nigga. I was expectin' some ill type shit, yadadamean?

Nigga went and blew my buzz.

Guest !!!
That shit was aweful, nigga. I was expectin' some ill type shit, yadadamean?

Nigga went and blew my buzz.

You certainly play a character.

Not really, no. That would have been my reaction to that shit if somebody was like, "Yo FroGG, come peep this video on youtube."

I don't say yadadamean very much. Maybe I should though.

and I'm still trying to get 'Bong Bong' goin' for The Rza.