TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

2008: The Year in Music

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise
REM have named their new album 'Accelerate'.

The band's 14th studio LP, the follow-up to 2004's 'Around The Sun', will be released in April.

The band worked on the album in Vancouver and Dublin with Bloc Party and Snow Patrol producer Jacknife Lee.

During their stay in Dublin last summer, the band played five sold-out ‘working rehearsal’ dates at the Olympia Theatre, previewing tracks from the record.

Confirmed tracks for the album include 'Until The Day Is Done', 'Living Well Is The Best Revenge', 'Mr Richards', 'Staring Down The Barrel Of Middle Distance', and 'I'm Gonna DJ', a regular in the band's set on their 2004/2005 world tour.

Frontman Michael Stipe said the guitar-driven LP is "the fastest we've made in 20 years".

He told Q: "I think the songs on 'Around The Sun' are great, but in the process of recording we lost our focus as a band. Now, that focus is back. And it's razor sharp."

k cool

Well, at least he didn't say this is their rock and roll album.

About time Disturbed came out with a new album. They really haven't done a bad album yet.

That's a lie.

I don't care if I am the biggest nerd on the block; I'm stoked for the Presidents of the United States of America's fifth full-length: These are the Good Times People.

Sign me up for that! I really liked Love Everybody

Albums I anticipate:

Lily Allen's new album

Hadouken!'s debut album

Horrorpops third studio album, Kiss Kiss Kill Kill

And thats all I can think of at the moment. I'll give the new AC/DC album a go.

I'm looking forward to The Buzzcocks new double CD. I believe that I read that it was a live album from their last tour, but anytime they drop something it's worth a listen.

Also, my friend is working on his new album that is set to drop in '08. Check him out HERE if you like good old school metal.

Have yet to listen to either one, but I've recently downloaded the following:

Atlas Sound - Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See but Cannot Feel

Hello, Blue Roses - The Portrait is Finished and I Have Failed to Capture Your Beauty

Early reviews say the Hello Blue Roses is terrible. The cover of that Atlas Sound one was pretty good, though.

I'm listening to the new Mountain Goats album. This is his most sophisticated-sounding album yet, I do believe. John Darnielle's voice seems a little less polarizing that it may have been on previous outings, and these Andrew Bird-style arrangements, all pizzicato strings and that eager "climbing up a hill to look at the horizon" feel, are outstanding. It really suits him well. I guess I diverge from a lot of the diehard fans in preferring the lush arrangements and high production values. What can I say? I like taking pride in one's work. I suppose this means I'm not immediately focusing on the lyrics, which is often the intent, but I won't mind revisiting it. Some of those just felt like obligations.

"I feel so proud to be alive" is a nice lyric to hear from him.

EDIT: "Michael Myers Resplendent" is, like "Videotape," another closer that falls ever-so-short of being majestic and totally awesome. The thundering drums that come in make you think you're getting a big cathartic ending, but it sorta peters out instead. Not that the strings and piano make for a bad ending, I just thought I was about to get another "In the Back Seat" or something.

EDIT2: There Will Be Blood soundtrack, by Jonny Greenwood. Let's talk about it.

As of January 4 2008, my album of the year is Heretic Pride.

I have to check out some Times New Viking tonight. You a fan?

I am surprised by just how much I like them. They're like if Bob Pollard loved the Homosexuals and Swell Maps more than the Who and the Byrds.

EDIT: Be aware that I normally hate the "this band sounds like that band crossed with this other band" simile. It simply fits here.

Ain't my thing so far. I don't think I can do an entire album of this.

I want to talk about that new Mountain Goats album, someone, anyone.

I listened to Sax Rohmer Number 1 on Stereogum, which I assume is from the new record. I almost turned it off after 15-20 seconds, but i'm glad I didn't. It grew me on as it played and I really enjoyed it.

Maybe I will get the whole CD later, if I can find it. Although, I'm sure my opinion isn't the one you were looking for.

Ok, I made it through the first five songs and that's probably all I'm going to have time for tonight.

The voice doesn't really bother me so much. I enjoy bands with more grating vocals... Clap Your Hands Say Yeah comes to mind.

I really like four of the first five songs but have no problems with any of them, really. New Zion is the only one that's just kinda there for me. I enjoy the strings and overall arrangement on San Bernardino. I always enjoy songs that kinda build up a bit and have a adventurous type feel about them and that's what I'm getting out of this album in general, so far.

I still like the opening track the best. It has the part, so far, where the vocals come the closest to being grating but it works for me.

I look forward to finishing this tomorrow... probably throw it on my iphone for the commute to/from work.

I'm also trying to get through the MGMT CD, which I'm not sure if I'm going to like or not but I liked the song they played on Letterman.

EDIT: So Desperate sounds like it could be a James Blunt song. I don't know about that one.

I want to talk about that new Mountain Goats album, someone, anyone.

I came across the song "How to Embrace a Swamp Creature". Are those cellos? They sound really cool. I might check out the rest of this album if I remember.

I finished listening to the whole thing. The song PujolJunkie mentioned is another one I liked - I also liked the closer... especially the drums. I see what you mean about it, though, Czech.

Pretty good album, overall - I would say. Only a few skippers and some pretty good arrangements.

Guest Blue Man Czech

I couldn't really get through it, sorry.

I'm way behind on my 2008 consumption. Gimme something.

I couldn't really get through it, sorry.

I'm way behind on my 2008 consumption. Gimme something.

I take it you're avoiding Vampire Weekend?

I'd also recommend checking out The Helio Sequence - Keep Your Eyes Ahead.

I downloaded leaks today of the new Destroyer and Bauhaus albums.

I'm about halfway through my first listen to the former, and it's really fantastic so far. Unless there's a huge dropoff in quality when I hit the second half, I think I can safely declare this my favorite album of the year so far.

Guest Blue Man Czech

What'd you think of Trouble in Dreams? I'm listening to it right now. I haven't listened to any Destroyer albums yet, but I did think "Myriad Harbour" was an awesome song. I know that's Bejar too. Anyway, I think this will be pretty good from what I've heard so far, but it's a little too guitary for me to really truly embrace it.

EDIT: Oh wow, the little breakdown in "The State" at 2.05.

EDIT: I appreciate the organ and mellotron on "Dry Foam Hands," but I'm not sure what I think yet.

The new Bauhaus album sucks. Oh my god does it suck.

The early impressions I've heard of it compared the sound to T. Rex, which I don't think is quite accurate. I'd say they're more in Bowie territory here, specifically a combination of Aladdin Sane and Heroes (it even mimics the structure of the later album to a large degree).

Of course, neither Aladdin Sane nor Heroes were as plodding and monotone as this. The only song that stands out (Saved) does so because it's significantly worse than the rest of the album.

The new Boris album is incredible.

I came here to post that, but yeah, I agree.

Also great is Earth's The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull

EDIT: "Michael Myers Resplendent" is, like "Videotape," another closer that falls ever-so-short of being majestic and totally awesome.

Looks like he changed his mind.