TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 12/31 - 1/6

We finally get to the meat of the bowl season with 12 games in the next two days. The best match-up on New Year's Eve is the TAFKA Peach Bowl but probably the most intriguing match-up is the potential train wreck that will the Music City Bowl with the 36 suspended FSU players. For New Year's obviously the game that will generate the most interest is the Sugar Bowl as Hawaii tries to do their best Boise State impression against Georgia. After that we get a couple more BCS bowls and the two very silly MAC bowls before the MNC Game which there will be a separate thread for.

MONDAY

Armed Forces Bowl: California vs. Air Force, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, ESPN

Sun Bowl: #21 South Florida vs. Oregon, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, CBS

Humanitarian Bowl: Georgia Tech vs. Fresno State, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN2

Music City Bowl: Kentucky vs. Florida State, 4:00/1:00 PM, ESPN

Insight Bowl: Indiana vs. Oklahoma State, 5:30/2:30 PM, NFL Network

Chick-Fil-A Bowl: #15 Clemson vs. #23 Auburn, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN

TUESDAY

Outback Bowl: #16 Tennessee vs. #18 Wisconsin, 11:00/8:00 AM, ESPN

Cotton Bowl: #6 Missouri vs. Arkansas, 11:30/8:30 AM, Fox

Gator Bowl: Texas Tech vs. #20 Virginia, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, CBS

Capital One Bowl: Michigan vs. #12 Florida, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, ABC

Rose Bowl: #13 Illinois vs. #7 USC, 4:30/1:30 PM, ABC

Sugar Bowl: #10 Hawaii vs. #5 Georgia, 8:30/5:30 PM, Fox

WEDNESDAY

Fiesta Bowl: #9 West Virginia vs. #4 Oklahoma, 8:00/5:00 PM, Fox

THURSDAY

Orange Bowl: #8 Kansas vs. #3 Virginia Tech, 8:00/5:00 PM, Fox

SATURDAY

International Bowl: Rutgers vs. Ball State, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

SUNDAY

GMAC Bowl: Bowling Green vs. Tulsa, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

That depends on your point of view: bowl/football season can't end fast enough for me...

Having said that, I will be rooting against Georgia for Hawaii in the Sugar, as well as for Georgia Tech in the Humanitarian, but there ain't no way in hell I'm watching either of them...

But, I did go to Tech, so... Go Jackets! Piss on dem Dawgs!

The 11th penalty of the game just got called in the Oregon/USF game. It's still the first quarter.

Penalties aside, Oregon and USF are having a heck of a game so far, tied at eleven with seven minutes remaining in the half.

Damn, if Oregon had figured out how to play like this a month ago they would be in a BCS game. Justin Roper was expected to be the 2nd or 3rd string QB next year, but he's playing well in his first start. This game is over.

This is probably the most shocking result of the bowl season so far. ECU beating Boise State was a bigger upset but I don't think anyone would think Oregon would handle USF the way they have after they went into the tank without Dixon.

Glad I missed the Armed Forces Bowl as I would have been pissed to watch Cal comeback from 21-0 down to win.

I was the most surprised to see George Selvie being a complete non factor for the whole game. I don't even know if he has a tackle.

Can't wait to see the Criminoles get raped tonight.

So much for that. FSU managed to stay close enough to have a last-ditch Hail Mary attempt to tie the game.

Nice to see hometown boy Jacob Tamme somewhat save the game on getting back that fumble and making FSU burn its last two timeouts. I must say that as a UK fan I am not used to actually getting to bowl games, much less winning two in a row but I'm very happy tonight.

Outback Bowl has been fun but the Cotton Bowl is showing why they need to have some sort of bowl selection committee. There's no reason a Top 10 team should be playing an unranked team in a bowl game.

The refs completely screwed up that sequence. No way they got the first down and should have added about 6 to 8 seconds if it supposedly was a first down.

And how would replay confirm it?

Well none of it matters, interception salts it away for the Vols.

Michigan stuffs Florida at the 3, then blocks the field goal. Huge play for Michigan gets the ball to Florida's 1 yard line. A lot of people seemed to think this one wouldn't even be competitive.

EDIT: and then Mike Hart of all people fumbles.

Still 14-14.

Yeesh the Gator Bowl is almost half empty.

Graham Harrell has now thrown two intentional groundings in the endzone for safties.

Rich Rodriguez must be secretly calling the plays because this is NOT what I'm used to seeing from the Michigan offense (and that's a good thing).

Ouch, UVA fumbles inside their own 5 while protecting a seven point lead with three minutes left.

Texas Tech ties it up on the next play.

Awesome effort by Michigan. It's great to see Carr go out winner, couldn't happen to a better guy.