TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - January 2008

I posted this in the 24/7 troubleshooting thread, but I haven't gotten any replies, so...

Is the Faarooq debut actually in Shorties? I know it was listed at the start of this thread, but I don't have it, and it seems like a rather random item not to get uploaded (esp. considering that Comcast in Pittsburgh hasn't had any missing content for a while).

Nikita was looking stylish on the 2/22 NWA show with the polo shirt & sunglasses. No mic time for Nikita, though (boo!), but they made up for it w/ the awesome pull-apart brawl between Magnum & Nikita to close the show.

Nikita was looking stylish on the 2/22 NWA show with the polo shirt & sunglasses. No mic time for Nikita, though (boo!), but they made up for it w/ the awesome pull-apart brawl between Magnum & Nikita to close the show.

The NWA, and particularly Magnum, were always good with pull-apart brawls.

The Tuesday Night Titans episode was pretty good. Savage was the standout though and now that I'm older, I can truly see how bizarre and funny his promos were. He had the whole audience laughing. I also noticed that his legs were ungodly skinny. How he was able to stand on them I'll never know.

Man I watched that Ladder Match Vol. 4 on 24/7 and I had forgotten what a jaw dropping, great match that TLC was from 2002 on Raw. I guess I had tried to block out how great it was due to the Katie Vick crap with HHH that followed it (literally right after the match!). But wow everyone was on their game in that one, and it was certainly peak Van Dam. It's a shame RVD and Jeff never tagged more.

I hadn't seen Jeff/Taker or TLC 4 since they both originally aired. I remember how dramatic the former was, but I completely forgot about the latter. I haven't seen many of the recent gimmick matches of its sort, but some of the spots in TLC 4 are among the most intense I've seen from WWE. I can't remember the last time I let out audible responses to spots in wrestling. I'm not the type who even gets that into matches and I found myself shooting off the couch when Jericho takes that HUGE spill from the top of the ladder to the floor. I let out a noise that I can't even describe when Christian casually floats Spike through the table. And my god, the spot with Jeff sailing over the top to through the table on the floor had me amazed he was able to complete the turn.

Dare I say this match made me feel like a mark again. I totally forgot who won and had erased all of the spots from memory. And I miss Spike if for no other reason than he was such a great accessory to memorable spots.

I've never been a huge fan of Jeff/UT since at the time I never bought Jeff as any serious title threat so whenever he got close to pulling the belt down it didn't quite have the impact it would have if he had more credibility. I just knew UT would stop him, know what I mean?

TLC 4 is a forgotten classic for obvious reasons. Frankly I TRIED to block that show out of my memory due to HHH's promo at the end that started the Katie Vick angle. And I suppose on some level I found it bogus that Kane would win it by himself, basically meaning that he beat 6 men who were all busting their asses like crazy to make him look good. Then that unreal effort to make him look good was undermined 2 minutes later! Hell, Kane took a Van Terminator and still won.

Raw's booking was the drizzling shits at that point, quite literally wrecking some unreal wrestling right there. Check out all the RVD signs in the crowd and how over he was, see how he was rocking the shit in that TLC match, and then ponder how anyone with sense would think a HHH vs. Kane title feud over Kane's dead girlfriend could be a good idea.

I didn't like Jeff v. Taker either. Taker just squashes him the whole match, and I never thought Jeff had a chance of winning.

TLC is much better than I remembered. I remember being bored with it when it aired in RAW in 2002, but it really holds up very well.

I'm surprised at all the praise Jeff-Taker has been getting lately. It's a solid **1/2-*** match but no great shakes. I have to say I am biased because I'm a huge ladder match mark. I don't think there are very many if any ladder matches I'd rate under **.

JR also needs credit for TLC 4. He obviously hasn't been at his best in over a decade, but there's something to be said for his job with this match. He notes King leaving with the Godfather at the outset of the match. Were it not for that, I might not have even realized JR was flying solo on this. There's such little dead air, yet JR never seems to talk just to talk.

I'm surprised at all the praise Jeff-Taker has been getting lately. It's a solid **1/2-*** match but no great shakes. I have to say I am biased because I'm a huge ladder match mark. I don't think there are very many if any ladder matches I'd rate under **.

There's a moment in the match where Jeff cracks Undertaker with a chair. The camera pans in on Jeff, you don't see that the Undertaker is getting up. And JR makes a great call. To the viewer at home, you don't think there's anything to stop Jeff from grabbing the title. It's great drama.

I would have to say that the Taker-Hardy match deserves recognition. In my opinion it was easily one of the best storyline-driven ladder match ever. With most ladder matches, it is all about unique, risky spots, which I do like. But this match told a tremendous story, and Hardy was put over strong, even if he did not win the match. This was great television in a time when WWE was beginning their downward slope, creatively.