TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet of Mike Zagurski

WWE General Discussion - January 2008

I was really tempted to make a new thread about this, but what the heck.

So I met Stone Cold Steve Austin earlier today at a scheduled meet and greet at a monster truck show in my hometown. He was so cool as he shook my hand, took a picture with me, signed my Wrestlemania 17 DVD cover and his Stone Cold Truth book.

Before I left for the next people in line's turn, I asked him the million dollar question and that's if he would come out of retirement to wrestle Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania 24. He said and I quote:

Fuck no! Fuck Hogan! He's a piece of shit!

Then I asked about what if the result of the match was in his favor and he said it didn't matter if he was going to win, he still wouldn't do it. I knew Austin didn't like Hogan, but I was shocked that he felt that strongly about him (which my friends is PURE hate) and that he would be so direct about it in public. Its a damn shame, but I thought I would let everyone know not to keep your hopes up anymore.

I've been able to officially confirm it with my own eyes and ears that Austin / Hogan will NEVER EVER happen.

:(

It doesn't have to be 'realistic' as such, but it helps to be able to suspend your disbelief over what's going on, and it's impossible to do that with Loony Tunes-style 'comedy' such as spray painting a hole onto a wall and running through it. Something so beyond belief doesn't even fit into something as inherently wacky as professional wrestling.

Pro Wrestling has always been over the top. It's ment to be over the top. That's why there are so many wacky gimmicks, because it can work and it can entertain the fans. Just because something doesn't seem real doesn't mean it can't be used to entertain the fans. Hornswoggle is also suppose to be Leprechaun. So technically he could pull a pot of gold out of his ass because it's pro wrestling.

It entertains a vocal minority, sometimes a majority, but so does a lot of stupid stuff that wouldn't belong, for a variety of reasons, on a wrestling show.

So what's your point?

He's so 'over' that his segments perform the most poorly of any pushed member of the roster, losing viewers just about every time, and WWE had to pre-tape his training skit for the Great Khali match because they knew people would crap all over it.

WWE pre-tapes a lot of segements, espically the backstage stuff. Of course WWE is going to pre-tape that stuff, the fans would leave the arena and take a bathroom break for something like that, they do for every other segment that's similar to that.

And Hornswoggle isn't over with everyone, I never said he was. I however did say he was pretty over with the crowds. Which is why he's used. Little kids and the younger crowd do like Hornswoggle.

That was sure a mythical pop Hornswaggle got at the show I attended last week. And it was so realistic, it had me fooled completely.

What purpose does it serve? Besides entertaining the fans, damned if Finlay isn't as over now as he's ever been.

Hornswaggle is amusing as long as they don't really push it all that hard. Just a silly segment or so on a show and it'll draw a laugh, but if he becomes a focal point that's when it becomes a problem.

I personally think Austin doesn't want to wrestle Hogan because he knows flat out that if he wrestles Hogan he's jobbing there. I don't think Vince considers Austin on the same level as Hogan, and if so I would agree with Vince.

I would agree that Austin isn't on the same level as Hogan, but only due to how long Hogan was on top. If Austin's neck hadn't been broken again at SSlam '97, he'd have had a few more years on top, including all (or at least most) of 2000, and probably most of '03 and some of '04. If he had more time, I think it'd pretty much guarantee that he'd be on the same level, as far as "icons" go, as Hogan. Not as iconic, but much more entertaining in every which way. Plus, he never gave his sun beer which (in)directly lead to him crashing his car and putting his best friend in a coma.

With Big Show, Killings and Harris rumored to be heading in, Jericho and JBL recently added to the active roster, Cena and Lashley do back in reasonably short order and a few developmentals seemingly ready to make the jump you have to assume there is a round of cuts heading our way sooner than later - probably after WM though (isn't that the usual time?).

Predictions - Charlie Haas, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, The Highlanders, Snitsky, Domino and Cherry, Khali, Balls Mahoney, Boogeyman, Mike Knox and Kevin Thorn.

84-year-old Mae Young just did a crazy interview with the World Wrestling Insanity radio show.

In the interview, she revealed that she plans to wrestle a match on her 100th birthday. Her opponent? Aurora Rose LeVesque, the daughter of Stephanie McMahon and Triple H. Mae and Stephanie have been talking about it. The match would take place on on Saturday, March 12, 2022. Aurora would be 17 years old at that moment.

With Big Show, Killings and Harris rumored to be heading in, Jericho and JBL recently added to the active roster, Cena and Lashley do back in reasonably short order and a few developmentals seemingly ready to make the jump you have to assume there is a round of cuts heading our way sooner than later - probably after WM though (isn't that the usual time?).

Predictions - Charlie Haas, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, The Highlanders, Snitsky, Domino and Cherry, Khali, Balls Mahoney, Boogeyman, Mike Knox and Kevin Thorn.

I didn't think Cena would be back until late Spring early Summer.

Hornswaggle is amusing as long as they don't really push it all that hard. Just a silly segment or so on a show and it'll draw a laugh, but if he becomes a focal point that's when it becomes a problem.

Drawing a laugh is something I won't deny Hornswoggle does, and you're right that, as a short segment, it's not too bad. The issue I have is when people take that reaction as an indication that Hornswoggle means more than he actually does. The Worm got a huge pop, but it, like the Hornswoggle reaction, ultimately meant nothing when the segment was finished.

84-year-old Mae Young just did a crazy interview with the World Wrestling Insanity radio show.

In the interview, she revealed that she plans to wrestle a match on her 100th birthday. Her opponent? Aurora Rose LeVesque, the daughter of Stephanie McMahon and Triple H. Mae and Stephanie have been talking about it. The match would take place on on Saturday, March 12, 2022. Aurora would be 17 years old at that moment.

That match would be epic... in a Gayda-esque sense... unless Triple H starts training her when she's twelve or something. And even then, it's not going to be any good; I can't imagine, even if Mae is still alive then, that she'll be able to take a bump without breaking every bone in her body.

So will HBK-Kennedy really end next week? I was hoping to see the feud continue with no more matchups til the Rumble, in which HBK would eliminate both Kennedy and himself with a running clothesline/crossbody/whatever. Then they would both be in the Elimination Chamber at NWO. HBK would probably eliminate Kennedy but be eliminated himself afterwards.

At WrestleMania, I'd give Kennedy the big win, with Shawn getting his win back at Backlash, possibly with a stipulation.

HBK and Kennedy have fought so many times now that there's no way this can last until WM. Just have Shawn toss Kennedy from the Rumble or eliminate him from the EC and that's that. I bet Michaels ends up in a MITB or something, since there really isn't anywhere obvious to put him on the WM card.

HBK and Kennedy have fought so many times now that there's no way this can last until WM. Just have Shawn toss Kennedy from the Rumble or eliminate him from the EC and that's that. I bet Michaels ends up in a MITB or something, since there really isn't anywhere obvious to put him on the WM card.

Michaels Vs Mysterio: Battle of the Underdogs. Shawn makes an off hand remark about being the biggest underdog in the history of the WWE and Rey obviously takes exception. Shawn shouldn't be in a ladder match with his myriad of injuries.

The Beacon Journal is reporting that Batista was stopped by a man pretending to be a police officer after leaving the Smackdown/ECW show on January 5 in Canton, Ohio. The impostor had a red flashing light on the top of his vehicle. Upon realizing that the man didn't have proper police equipment or a badge, he immediately drove away and contacted the local police department. After meeting with Batista at a nearby Interstate off-ramp, police were unable to find the impostor.

-- PWI

- Dave Meltzer reported that Ron "The Truth" Killings did tell people at an independent show that he will be signing with WWE, accepting the company's $80,000 downside guarantee.

- Mike Mooneyham is also reporting that Killings has signed with WWE.

The question is, what will they do with Killings? Go to ECW and feud with Punk? Only problem there is, and I know this is kind of "lowest common denominator" thinking, you've already got Burke and Benjamin on that show. Maybe they could put him on Smackdown, but I have no idea who he could feud with. I just hope they don't stick him in some lame tag team.

I've thought for a long time that Killings could be a major draw in WWE. All it takes is the proper angle. I'd wait until Cena gets back and then debut Killings soon after and they can either team for a while and then do a breakup angle, or just debut Killings as a heel and feud him with Cena.

I hope he does a lot of twists or flips AFTER the contact was made with his opponent. Also, he better have a bunch of facial/body piercings in for his matches. He'll do fine by repeating "What's up?" over and over and over.

Guest NateW

WWE released developmental talent Derek Neikirk today. Neikirk at one point had been groomed for the ECW brand when it was launched in 2006 as part of a tag team with Ryan O'Reilly. The tandem worked some of the short-lived ECW house shows, but beyond that, never had any role on television. O'Reilly had asked for his release last year.

Neikirk had been working in the developmental system since 2005, working for Ohio Valley Wrestling, Florida Championship Wrestling and former WWE developmental Deep South Wrestling.

As noted yesterday on PWInsider.com, there had been a fear among those in the developmental system (particularly those who have had long tenures there) that releases were coming with the new year.