TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet of Mike Zagurski

WWE General Discussion - January 2008

What ever happened to a stable with Dave Taylor, Paul Burchill, and Drew McIntyre????

Never actually formed as Burchill never re-debuted on television. McIntyre was unceremoniously moved over to Raw which doesn't make a lot of sense considering he clashes terribly with The Highlanders. It would be like Samoa Joe meeting Umaga. To further the ridiculousness one of the Heat announcers said McIntyre was trained by the great Scottish wrestler David Taylor - FFS!!.

Paul Burchill and Stu Sanders(another Brit) are currently tag champs down in OVW. Maybe they'll eventually be brought up to pair with Dave Taylor. Saunders will fit much better with the other two if it does happen. McIntyre is not long for the company - he offers nothing really.

So, I see another promo that ECW will be in HD in 2 weeks. Any chance WWE HD will be on the Universal HD channel instead of USA HD or SciFi HD?

I hope so, cause I don't get USA or SciFi HD.

Yeah me either. To be honest, I didn't even know there was a Sci-Fi HD channel 'til just now. We have Charter cable, and they're really slow to add new HD channels. Usually when they do add something, it's pretty niche, like the new Golf/Vs HD channel.

I get USA and SCI FI in HD but not CW in HD. They've both been up since October. USA actually shows a decent amount of stuff in HD and Sci Fi has a sparse offering.

Is it just me or has CM Punk been a bit bland ever since he got the ECW title? He's got some promo time here and there, but I know he can do way better than that. He really doesn't do much that keeps me interested. The last time I was on the edge of my seat was in his feud with Morrison before he won the belt.

I see what your getting at. I blame the fact that CM Punk has don't shit since his feud with Morrison.

It's a testament to his appeal when he maintains a level of overness despite having nearly zero promo time (felt like the promo on Chavo on NYD was the longest promo he cut in-ring since he debuted in 2005 and it was quite effective, I must say). They made a mistake of dragging out Morrison/Punk longer then it ever needed to, especially throwing Miz into the mix. Then they went and threw him into a feud with Kane against Henry/BDV and it went nowhere. Chavo, is a fine performer but he isn't going to help Punk.

Punk needs a real direction other then just coming out for a pop and a 10 minute match every week.

Heh, Punk is getting the Bret Hart booking right now. Hardly any promo time, just come out cold and get the crowd into things with his ring work. It was interesting when they were doing this with Cena for a few months.

Ok which one is Chris Harris again? Is that the one that drinks a lot of beer or is that the babyface?

And yes I'm being serious.

Ok which one is Chris Harris again? Is that the one that drinks a lot of beer or is that the babyface?

It's the one who's gimmick has been ripped off by Samoa Joe. James Storm is the one who drinks a lot of beer, with Eric Young. They both were heels, which made the breaking up of AMW worthless, seeing as one should've been a big face in the compnay right now, while the other should've been a major heel. Atleast Storm has been booked in a angle, Harris on the other hand was bitching about the company being booked around The Angles, which in retrospect makes perfect sense for his character going to WWE. He in a sense was "pushing himself" on the way out, kind of like Low Ki, and Killings. That's the odd thing about these 3 departures. TNA waited until all 3 was leaving the company then started pushing them, thus raisng their value on their way out of the company, which is pretty counterproductive. It's like TNA became a development for WWE unintentionally.

I could see Harris making a good fit in WWE land. Preferrably with a tag partner. TNA really blew it with AMW after their street fight, especially Harris. For all the singles pushes they attempted with him, they really should have done something (anything) with him after probably the best performance of his career.

I never liked Harris, though AMW was a pretty good team, the two partners didn't like each other IIRC. I think Harris is a decent enough tag team wrestler, but lacks any charisma to be a singles star. However he doesn't seem to realize this and always thinks he's being misused and underpushed. I think the wwe just signed him not because they have plans for him and want him, but because he is a TNA original.

Pretty much how I feel about Harris. If he could ever improve his mic work I think he could be a big star. He can work really well and could make a nice addition to Smackdown.

Looking at the three rosters, I think his best fit would be teaming with Kevin Thorn. Both play the anti-social/troubled role - they could be fostercare/juvie buddies or something

If they gave Harris the initial Edge gimmick(Edge Debut Promo), I think he could pull it off. I think that's basically the character Harris always wanted to play.

Funny pic from Harris' official site. Not so much Jedi Harris, but Christian as Ali G. Christian is one wrestler wwe should have never let get away -

wildcathalloween2007.jpg

It's the one who's gimmick has been ripped off by Samoa Joe.

Could you expand on this a little more, please?

Harris' gimmick was that he was complaining about being underpushed by TNA.

Joe's gimmick after that PPV where Scott Hall no-showed is that he is complaning about being underpushed by TNA.

And since Joe is a bigger star that Harris, he kind of lost out on the gimmick. Not that it's even a good one.

And did we really need the Harris story to be posted four times in four different threads?

Harris' gimmick was that he was complaining about being underpushed by TNA.

Joe's gimmick after that PPV where Scott Hall no-showed is that he is complaning about being underpushed by TNA.

And since Joe is a bigger star that Harris, he kind of lost out on the gimmick. Not that it's even a good one.

And did we really need the Harris story to be posted four times in four different threads?

It was a good gimmick for Harris, because it was one of the few gimmicks that made sense in TNA. Harris character made the gimmick hold some kind of merit, Joe's chararcter using the gimmick is just retarded. Harris posted this a while back, it's kayfab'ed a little, but it gives more insight on why this gimmick worked for Harris.

Harris blog

That was it for me...I'm sick of it!

I have done a lot of thinking lately. By now, if you have been watching, you know that there are some changes being made. Some I will get in to...some I can't talk about yet. I have reached my limit with dealing with politics. There has been a definite attitude adjustment. If you don't like it...I suggest you don't watch!

As of late, my comments on Impact and on the PPVs have gotten some attention. I have even been asked if they can be regarded as a "shoot". While I understand the fans always want to know the inside scoop...how can someone be serious with that question? Do you think the office wants me to say these things? I am basically saying the same thing I have been saying for months...only this time I am doing it on camera!

Since this is my column and my chance to give my side, let me give you an insight to the past year in my life. It began by taking almost 5 months recovering from not only a career threatening injury, but the betrayal of my partner and friend, James Storm. Part was my choice and part was TNA and the doctors. I waited on the sideline, sometimes even having to wear an eye patch in public. I had enough! I wanted to get my hands on the "cowboy"! I made my return at Lockdown in April against Storm in a blindfold match!...and the fans shit on it! That was enough of a slap in the face, but I pushed on. That was a "gimmick" match. What I wanted was to beat the shit out of Storm! The next couple of months that is exactly what Storm and I did to each other...not only risking our bodies, but our careers as well. The highlight, in my opinion, was the Texas Death Match at Sacrifice in May. It is rated as a match of the year candidate.

From what I understood, the matches with Storm got some attention from the wrestling world...including my own company. I could hear opportunity knocking. I was finally going to be the break out star I knew I could be. Within weeks I was thrown into a meaningless tag match that would take place at our big anniversary PPV, Slammiversary. How did I get here? Where was my opportunity? For reasons very unfortunate and sad for him, Jeff Jarrett pulled himself from the King of the Mountain main event. This left an open spot...and my company had enough faith in me to fill in and take the spot. The wrestling business has a funny way of finding stars in ways that were never thought of or planned for. I was sure this was mine. I was now in the main event with the top stars of our company.

The match was awesome! I hung with the best and gave my heart and soul in a great performance. I couldn't wait to see what was next. Christian Cage felt that I had cost him the match and world title in the King of the Mountain match. He was after me and I welcomed a feud with a "top guy". It only lasted a few weeks and ended with a match at Victory Road in July. I made it! I was at the top of the card with someone like Christian, someone who I respected the hell out of. There was even a video package on Impact talking about a rising star that built up for the match. I was living my dream!

That glass ceiling that I was suppose to break through suddenly had a trap door that fell right on top of me. Dustin Rhodes returned to TNA and cost me to lose the match with Christian. Within days I found myself locked in a feud with a re-creation of Golddust with a sick...evil twist. Nothing against Dustin...because I like him and he has had a great career, but how does this help me? In a matter of weeks I went from the main events to the bottom of the card in matches that were barely talked about. My TV time was cut in half. I was told when we went to 2 hours things would change. The next two months my matches with Dustin at the PPVs were not even mentioned when building for the show. Somehow I managed to get the task of making sure Black Reign made a huge impact in TNA...at Chris Harris' expense!

In the end, I pinned Black Reign in the middle of the ring. He had the final jab by releasing a rat on me. As sick as that is, I didn't care. I wanted to move on. I wanted to get back to the top. At different times, grudges started with both Rhino and Robert Roode. Either was good enough for me. Rhino has been a top guy for years and Roode was well on his way to the top. Our biggest PPV of the year was here, Bound for Glory. I wanted to be a part of it. Within days, my spot moved further and further down the card. The feuds with Roode and Rhyno were gone and I was now in a Fight for the Right match with 15 guys. It was a reverse battle royal and I was the last man to make it in the ring. Turned out to be 1 SECOND too late as Storm had just beaten me in the ring. It was the biggest PPV in TNA history and Chris Harris meant nothing to it.

That was it for me! I had so much more to offer to wrestling and TNA. I was tired of being kept down and keeping my mouth shut about it. I guess I had bitched enough to the office and agents because my phone calls were not returned and I started to get avoided at the shows. Finally, I was told if it bothered me that much to bring it out on camera. Bad move! I had noticed, even with 2 hours of Impact, that the guys who had busted their ass since day one were not getting TV time. It was all of the top guys like Sting, Christian, Samoa Joe and others, but most of the time was filled by Kurt Angle. I will first say that Kurt has earned his spot in wrestling. He is one of the greatest performers I have ever seen...but how much Kurt Angle do we need. It wasn't that he wasn't good in his role because he is very entertaining. We just don't need 11 segments of Kurt in one show. (I counted one night while watching Impact) Since TNA gave me the green light to complain, I took it right to Kurt with a list of complaints. I even began walking over to the announce desk to Mike and Don to set them straight. They talk about everything else other than what is going on in the ring. I'm sick of it!

I was rewarded by not even getting a match on the November PPV. You think I am whining and complaining? You haven't seen anything yet! Changes will be made. Even if I make them myself. I don't have control over TNA, but I have control over my career. I got in this business to make a difference. My passion for pro wrestling is more than anyone could imagine. I have given my blood, sweat, and tears to the wrestling business and will give even more. I am sick and tired of not getting appreciated. Friends have turned their back on me, my company has turned its back to me, and even the fans have turned their back to me. If you fall into this category...you can kiss my ass! It has broken me down to a point that I have lost my passion and have began to doubt myself. I am better than that! I will do what it takes to get it back and live my dream again!

I will remind you to live the dream again when I get MY dream back!

Cat

From 411mania.com:

- WWE Mobile is reporting what seems to be a storyline involving Playboy. According to the report, Ashley was at the Playboy Mansion on New Year's Eve and was asked by Hugh Hefner who the next WWE Diva to pose for Playboy should be. Before Ashley could answer, Santino Marella showed up and said that the only people who will see Maria naked are "former intercontinental champions who were plucked from the crowd in Italy and beated the Umaga." Check it out here.

Santino involved here should be great.

From 411mania.com:

- WWE Mobile is reporting what seems to be a storyline involving Playboy. According to the report, Ashley was at the Playboy Mansion on New Year's Eve and was asked by Hugh Hefner who the next WWE Diva to pose for Playboy should be. Before Ashley could answer, Santino Marella showed up and said that the only people who will see Maria naked are "former intercontinental champions who were plucked from the crowd in Italy and beated the Umaga." Check it out here.

Santino involved here should be great.

If they really let Santino run with this, it's going to top the Eddie/Chyna stuff easily.

The Benoit and Toffoloni families have come to a verbal agreement to split Chris Benoit's assets roughly evenly, with Benoit's children getting one share and the Toffoloni's getting the other. This avoids an estate battle that most legal sources indicated was going to go very poorly for Nancy's family. Michael Benoit said this was pretty much what he wanted the entire time and he was just unhappy that they had to spend $600,000 on attorney's fees to get there. The estate is valued at anywhere from $1.5 to $3 million, which some people are surprised by giving how many big money-making years Chris had before he died.

We are told that at this point it looks like testing for marijuana in WWE will take place once per year. The failure is a $1000 fine and does not count as a Wellness Policy strike. So basically, if you're willing to pay $1000 a year you can smoke all the pot you want in WWE.

I was also told, and granted I'm not back there to verify this, that testing is not nearly as stringent as it once was. The feeling is that when it came out that they're not going to be the subject of Congressional hearings and that the chances of hearings taking place anytime in the near future are slim to none, you might want to keep an eye on the size of everyone on TV because things may be changing again pretty soon.

Raw starts in HD in two weeks, so Royal Rumble won't be the first-ever WWE HD event.

Triple H is about the most least-liked person in the company right now. People were very upset that he didn't make a stand to put over Flair last week in what is very likely (though this is wrestling) Flair's final match in Greensboro, NC. This has been building up for a long time. He's always had heat but it really picked up over the summer when he pretty much squashed Booker T at SummerSlam and Booker left the company for TNA shortly thereafter.

Booker, as part of renegotiations, had been allowed to sit in on the booking meetings, hoping I guess to assure that nobody buried him and that he would be taken care of in the feud with Hunter. Well, he wasn't taken care of. The biggest reason he ultimately quit was the 60-day suspension, but after the Hunter thing we're told there was a good chance he was leaving anyway, plus everyone in WWE believes that's why he left. People really liked him, so they were very upset about how that all went down.

Hunter also buried Jericho before Jericho even arrived, saying that the company may have had some rough shakes but now they were going to be OK because their savior was coming back. The feeling was that he was especially vindictive because Stephanie was a big proponent of bringing Jericho back. Hunter wasn't even sly about it, he was outright burying him to anyone who would listen, and people said he came off as very petty.

Vince McMahon just purchased a Penthouse in Donald Trump's new Trump Parc in Stamford, CT. The New York Daily News reports that he already owns the most expensive penthouse in the state, valued at $4 million.

Ashley has been back doing house shows and is being moved to the Raw brand. She wasn't allowed to come back even after she was eliminated from Survivor in case she ended up being brought back for any reason.

The WWE show in Chile on February 14th at Arena Santiago is almost sold out. Tickets range from $40 to $300 US. Only tickets left are the $220s. All of this is subject to change, but right now they're billing Edge vs. Batista, Undertaker vs. V, and Punk vs. Shelton for the ECW Title

More on the Georgia regulation insanity. As you'll recall, WWE is exempt from any regulatory changes (and granted, Georgia wants to make some ridiculous changes, as we've reported on over the past few months) because the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission voted in 2005 to allow any organization with total assets of more than $25 million to be exempt. Well, that's not fair is it?

There is a move by commission members, including Cary Ichter (who just happens to be representing Michael Benoit, which has been the subject of controversy) to rescind that exemption, and WWE is claiming they won't promote in the state if such a thing happens. There was a rich quote from Albany Civic Center director John Mazzollla, who is appalled. He said the commission wanted "to regulate WWE wrestling as a sporting event to make sure ‘there is a level playing field.’ But the WWE is not a sporting event, it’s entertainment. The shows are scripted, and the outcomes are determined in advance. If there’s a problem with illegal substances, it should be a law enforcement issue. Don’t punish a company that provides sports entertainment.” Never mind the fact that it is the ATHLETIC AND ENTERTAINMENT COMMISSION, or the fact that all the other indies are doing entertainment events as well and it's currently NOT a level playing field.

PWInsider reported that Maria would be the next Diva to pose in Playboy. I know it had been talked about for awhile. The original plan was all three of Extreme Expose, but that sort of fell through when they axed Brooke and broke up Kelly and Layla.

All Pro Wrestling announced that former APW Champion KAFU had signed a developmental deal with WWE.

Survivor Series is coming in at around 340,000 buys this year, which is a huge disappointment given the numbers from 2005 and 2006.

credit:F4W Newsletter

The "TNA Exodus" is the most rediculous. I came into the WWE folder expecting a good story, but when I saw that the topic was started by edgehead, I knew I'd be let down.

And what's with him typing almost Every Word With Caps?

Sorry gonna nitpick for a second.

I really wish people would quit posting the same wrestling news twice. Whenever i see someone make a big post with a whole bunch of news, about 90 % of it is stuff that's already been posted. I mean is it seriously that hard to look back a page or two and see if that news tidbit has already been posted and discussed already? It's not like the person who posted the news wasn't in the general thread when the subject was being discussed.