TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNope

Herb Abrams' UWF begins airing on ESPN Classic next week

Yes, this is the promotion Mick Foley talked about in his first book.

UWF Wrestling-

January 2008 Schedule (ESPN Classic) USA

ESPNCL Tue 1/8 1:00 AM

ESPNCL Tue 1/8 1:30 AM

ESPNCL Wed 1/9 1:00 AM

ESPNCL Wed 1/9 1:30 AM

ESPNCL Thu 1/10 1:00 AM

ESPNCL Thu 1/10 1:30 AM

ESPNCL Fri 1/11 1:00 AM

ESPNCL Fri 1/11 1:30 AM

ESPNCL Sat 1/12 1:00 AM

ESPNCL Sat 1/12 1:30 AM

ESPNCL Tue 1/15 1:00 AM

ESPNCL Tue 1/15 1:30 AM

ESPNCL Wed 1/16 1:00 AM

ESPNCL Wed 1/16 1:30 AM

More info on the promotion -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Wre...8Herb_Abrams%29

http://herbabramsuwf.googlepages.com/index.htm

Definitely going to watch this.

I don't see why Vince doesn't put some sort of WWE 24/7 preview on ESPN Classic. Does he still have a grudge with ESPN over their XFL coverage (or lack thereof)?

this should be interesting to see some obscure stuff from the 90s, now if Digital Cable could add Coluors (for NWA) and Galavision (Triple A) and I'd be happy

Definitely going to watch this.

I don't see why Vince doesn't put some sort of WWE 24/7 preview on ESPN Classic. Does he still have a grudge with ESPN over their XFL coverage (or lack thereof)?

I don't think it's Vince's call, I doubt ESPN has much interest, and I don't think it would work for either side.

If ESPN Classic is interested airing Herb Abrams' UWF, I'm sure they'd have plenty of interest in airing old WWE stuff if the price was right (Which it almost definitely isn't). Abrams' UWF probably costs a hundredth of the price WWE would charge and I doubt McMahon would want the graveyard slot ESPN Classic would likely give them.

But really come on now- ESPN Classic has American Gladiators in Primetime! Would they be stooping that low if they aired the occassional old school WWF/E (or any of the other promotions that Vince own the library of) show? A guy who doesn't get 24/7 on Demand or MSG Network can dream!

ESPN has UWF because they're aired it before. I mean for a wrestling show at 1am, is it really worth the trouble of acquiring new footage?

I wish they would air that O'Connor/Rogers match again.

Orndorff coming out to "U Can't Touch This" was easily the most entertaining part of the first show closely followed by the unintentionally hilarious commentary team. The overexcited Abrams and Bruno Sammartino on color sounding completely bored out of his skull, just waiting to get his paycheck.

From what I saw of the first episode, none of the matches were really that actively bad (OK, the Patera match probably), but just kind of boring.

Apparently the second show had a pretty good match between Cactus Jack and David Sammartino (!!!) but I missed it because for some reason, I thought the 2nd episode would just be a repeat of the first. Ah well.

I love Bruno's analysis of almost every jobber. "He's an average sized wrestler, a big man in his own right, 245 250 pounds but he looks like a little child compared to *UWF star*"

Were the original UWF episodes an hour and clipped down by ESPN or is this how they aired?

I love Bruno's analysis of almost every jobber. "He's an average sized wrestler, a big man in his own right, 245 250 pounds but he looks like a little child compared to *UWF star*"

Were the original UWF episodes an hour and clipped down by ESPN or is this how they aired?

I'm not sure whether it's cut or not but it appears to me that they've cut out interviews. I mean what's a wrestling show without interviews. There was a weird commercial break in The Koloffs EXPLODE! match last night too.

They were originally an hour long, but then ESPN2 re-edited them down to 30 minutes for rebroadcast in 1995.

So, these aren't in order?

Nope, the last episode tonight was taped in 1992. The previous three episodes were all taped in Fall 1990.

Anybody remember ICW? Mario Savoldi was the promoter and his son, "Jumpin'" Joe Savoldi, wrestled. Tony Atlas was the heel champion managed by "Boston Bad Boy" Tony Rumble. It was a stopover spot for guys who left the WWF. Later on, they supposedly merged with WCCW, and became IWCCW.

What I'll never get over is that when ESPN stopped airing pro wrestling (their reason being that pro wrestling wasn't a legitimate sporting competion) they started airing fucking spelling bees.

I have the first UWF Pay-Per-View, "Beach Blast" or "Beach Brawl", can't remember exactly what it was called off the top of my head. One good match was Cactus Jack and Bob Orton against Sunny Beach and "Surfer" Ray Odyssey. Something that has always struck me as funny was their world title was called the UWF SportsChannel World Title.

Man, I wish I could have seen this:

Some funny stuff on the ESPN Classics airings of early 90s Herb Abrams tapes. Bob Orton was talking about his 12-year-old son who was an amateur star. That was, in fact, Randy. There was also a jobber called Davey "The Observer" Meltzer and Steve Williams stuffed a newsletter down his throat after beating the guy. Herb's priorities were always in the right place.

Guest ChiefWarEagle

I'm actually recording all of these and putting them DVD so I can watch them whenever I please.

My first time actually watching these and while it may not be the best it's something different.

I'm starting to love hearing Bruno just phone it the fuck in on commentary.

That was the most awesome TNA-like edit job . . . Steve Williams swings a chair at Orndorff, just missing him and hitting the post . . . TO THE BACK and some half-asleep interviewer picking the brain of Luna Vachon.

Jesus . . . Ricky Ataki AGAIN

Bruno Sammartino is calling this like its golf.