TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

The 2008 Royal Rumble Thread

backing up the bus a bit...Rey Mysterio was a surprise winner? I guess for the marks out there, but surely the "smarks" could clearly see that writing on the wall...no?

With the brand extension it's a bit less obvious who will win. 2006 was one of those "HHH or Rey could win", and since they traditionally shy away from giving big wins to small guys like Rey, it was surprising that they'd follow through. I know my friends and I thought Rey SHOULD win because HHH didn't need to, but just assumed HHH would win anyway.

DVD is far from dead, so I'd say yes.

Note: I have no idea how close it is to death or not, but much in the same way VHS lived on for years after DVD became standard (which as far as I know, it still is), I don't see standard DVD releases going anywhere. I know I'm not in the market to buy an expensive player for a new medium that costs $10 more than a DVD for some better clarity.

With the brand extension it's a bit less obvious who will win. 2006 was one of those "HHH or Rey could win", and since they traditionally shy away from giving big wins to small guys like Rey, it was surprising that they'd follow through. I know my friends and I thought Rey SHOULD win because HHH didn't need to, but just assumed HHH would win anyway.

I knew once Eddie died, the way 2005 was going for Mysterio, they'd do something huge for him in 06. I was one of the few on this board pushing for him to get the title.

Of course they fucked that up all to hell once it happened, but at least it happened.

BDV is suppose to be in the Rumble as Striker said he was on Smackdown, but WWE.com still hasn't made it offical. Maybe WWE.com just dropped the ball and something will be said tonight on Raw or tomorrow on ECW.

Mr. Kennedy makes 20 offical entrants so far.

Anyone up for seeing Charlie Haas and Masked Charlie Haas as two entrants? Or another Foley personality?

I'd mark if Foley did all 3 personalitys.

Anyone up for seeing Charlie Haas and Masked Charlie Haas as two entrants? Or another Foley personality?

They did that in 1998 because it was relevant and because of the lack of depth. Either would be in question here. If Charlie could get the gimmick over, it'd be a cute spot but as it stands, it'd be a waste.

Yeah, I'm not actually interested in seeing Haas or the mask in the match since neither are particularly over - just throwing it out there.

I certainly don't want to see 3 - which would end up being 4 - faces of Foley either. But like, just one extra one would be a cute spot.

Yeah, I'm not actually interested in seeing Haas or the mask in the match since neither are particularly over - just throwing it out there.

I certainly don't want to see 3 - which would end up being 4 - faces of Foley either. But like, just one extra one would be a cute spot.

They could still have Charlie get thrown out and he comes right back in with the mask. Whoever eliminated him in the first place would promptly toss out again for good measure. That way you get the spot and you don't waste an entry.

They did that in 1998 because it was relevant and because of the lack of depth. Either would be in question here. If Charlie could get the gimmick over, it'd be a cute spot but as it stands, it'd be a waste.

It's Foley, it doesn't have to make sense. Foley would do it just for the cheap pop/laugh. Plus I really miss the Cactus Jack music.

It's Foley, it doesn't have to make sense. Foley would do it just for the cheap pop/laugh. Plus I really miss the Cactus Jack music.

You'd want to waste three spots that could be served to other talents as well as angles, to do something that was done 10 years ago and wouldn't get much of an cheap pop. The crowd loved the 3 Faces of Foley, in 1998. Doing it in 2008 is overkill.

You'd want to waste three spots that could be served to other talents as well as angles, to do something that was done 10 years ago and wouldn't get much of an cheap pop. The crowd loved the 3 Faces of Foley, in 1998. Doing it in 2008 is overkill.

A) It happen 10 years ago...who cares?

B) The other 2 spots, not 3. He wouldn't be Mick Foley, just Dude Love/Cactus Jack/Mankind, would be elimations anyways.

C) Doing it once in ten years time is overkill? okie dokie.

Yes, and? I know I was being a bit vague but that's exactly what I was referring too.

1996: Vader and Yoko are fighting near the ropes, HBK somehow has the power to dump both at the same time despite without any trouble at all despite attempts at eliminating Yokozuna by multiple guys failing in 1993.

2006: Big Show and Kane are fighting near the ropes, HHH somehow has the power to dump both at the same time without any trouble at all despite it taking a herculian effort by Benoit - after attempts by several people at the same time - to eliminate him just 2 years earlier.

I realize it's just "one of those things" but that Michaels spot from 1996 has always bothered me and I was amused that HHH was able to pay tribute to it a decade later.

In his latest edition of "An Original Thought," Tommy Dreamer talks of struggling to make a name for himself. He may have his chance, as he has been named to participate in this year's Royal Rumble Match.

I should expect a spot where Michelle causes Palumbo and Noble to be eliminated simultaneously.

And hopefully that will kill that lame angle for good.

6 spots remain. "names" not included as of right now (outside of those in the undercard)

CM Punk, Chavo Guerrero, Lashley, Regal, Edge Heads, Kingston, Dykstra, Balls, Haas.

Figure that Punk, Chavo, Lashley would be in for sure. I'll call for EH's getting in with the notion that Vicki wants them to keep things in order for Chavo or act as henchmen against Punk/Taker. Either throw in a comedy spot, the possible TBS return or a random jobber for no apparant reason and that'll fill the card.