TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

Well, I can say from being a fan of a team in the scrapheap division that is the NFC South that many of the rivalries that have sprung up post-realignment are fairly meaningful, just not on a national level. A Tampa-Carolina or Tampa-Atlanta game may not mean much to most fans, but is as bitter and contentious as a working-class Pennsylvanian to those with a vested interest in the outcome. So it's best not to fuck with these things now that the NFL finally has everything completely perfect.

As a Saints fan, I'll agree with this.

The Panthers, Falcons, and Saints all have existing rivalries from the old NFC West, with the Falcons / Saints rivalry going back to when the teams were founded in the 60s.

The Bucs have certainly started up rivalries with the Saints and Falcons since then, though I can't speak for a Bucs-Panthers rivalry.

Having such stiff competition in the division to the point where no team has won it two years in a row has helped the rivalries along.

It beats the crap out of the old NFC West, where the 49ers consistently won it for a stretch of 15 years.

So, what does everyone think of the draft this Saturday? The media keeps bashing it as a crappy draft saying there aren't a lot of top level players in there. Of course there's always the surprises so I don't know how they can make that claim. I guess because they don't have a ton of names to tout.

This'll be my first year having the NFL network which I hear has vastly superior draft coverage.

So, what does everyone think of the draft this Saturday? The media keeps bashing it as a crappy draft saying there aren't a lot of top level players in there. Of course there's always the surprises so I don't know how they can make that claim. I guess because they don't have a ton of names to tout.

This'll be my first year having the NFL network which I hear has vastly superior draft coverage.

I think "bad draft" is severely overstating things.

1. There's no obvious #1 prospect, so that works against the Dolphins. However, there are top prospects at OT, DT, OLB, DE, etc. who are all capable of going #1 overall.

There are enough teams with lots of holes in the Top 6 that virtually any of these guys could end up anywhere.

2. There's no depth at QB, thus we get everyone slobbing Matt Ryan's knob. Matt Ryan isn't as good as JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn, IMHO. I'm thinking he's probably comparable to the guys who went in round 2 last year, like John Beck and Kevin Kolb.

Since QB is the sexy position to the media and the general public, a draft devoid of a Joe Montana or Peyton Manning helps knock down the perceived quality of that year's crop of talent.

3. This is probably the deepest year in CBs in a while, which is one of the marquee money positions these days.

This gets discounted by people, though, because no one is sure if the top CB in this class will be Leonis McKelvin, DRC, Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib, Brandon Flowers, or someone else.

I agree with you that this draft is likely being trashed because of the scarcity of an overhyped media-whore player like a Reggie Bush or Brady Quinn.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to accurately see whether that's true for a year or two, after this year's class help lead their new teams to the promised land.

Definitely a great draft if you are looking for a RB.

But that is pretty much spot on. Any time there is no glamour prospect it gets knocked. It is the type of draft where the Falcons are money with a ton of 2s. The first round might not be great (unless someone slips I am not a huge fan of the Eagles 19th slot), but there is still going to be a solid draft board when the third round rolls around.

And I don't know if I would go in with such high expectations of NFLN coverage. I didn't have NFLN for the 07 draft, but judging by last year's draft thread they quit keeping track of current selections just as early as ESPN. The real thing that kills ESPN's coverage for me is that dickhole Berman tipping picks. Obviously he can't do an event without shoving his fucking face right to the forefront.

But that is pretty much spot on. Any time there is no glamour prospect it gets knocked. It is the type of draft where the Falcons are money with a ton of 2s. The first round might not be great (unless someone slips I am not a huge fan of the Eagles 19th slot), but there is still going to be a solid draft board when the third round rolls around.

And I don't know if I would go in with such high expectations of NFLN coverage. I didn't have NFLN for the 07 draft, but judging by last year's draft thread they quit keeping track of current selections just as early as ESPN. The real thing that kills ESPN's coverage for me is that dickhole Berman tipping picks. Obviously he can't do an event without shoving his fucking face right to the forefront.

If Dorsey, Ellis, and Rivers are gone at #10, I'd say the Saints should trade that pick to the Eagles for the #19 and Lito Sheppard.

Yeah he's pretty damn irritating. Kiper is the worst IMO. I like McShay infinitely better because he doesn't get all indignant and angry when someone dares to disagree with him.

I'd be flabbergasted if Atlanta passed on him. Fucking stunned. There's a big step down after Ryan with QBs in this year's draft. Brohm? Woodson? Flacco? C'mon now. The Falcons have a fuckton of draft picks this year. They have to draft Ryan and fill needs later.

Brohm is going to be a better pro then Matt Ryan, just watch.

That's not really saying much. There's a lot of QBs coming out, but nobody that really grabs at me as a "Wow I must have that guy." Andre Woodson maybe before his draft stock plummetted, would have been a possible guy like that.

Just curious... How did Woodsons draft stock dropped so badly? I remember him being a mid-1st rounder at one point.

If Dorsey, Ellis, and Rivers are gone at #10, I'd say the Saints should trade that pick to the Eagles for the #19 and Lito Sheppard.

As an Eagles fan... Fuck that. We can get more for Lito Sheppard.

I'd be flabbergasted if Atlanta passed on him. Fucking stunned. There's a big step down after Ryan with QBs in this year's draft. Brohm? Woodson? Flacco? C'mon now. The Falcons have a fuckton of draft picks this year. They have to draft Ryan and fill needs later.

Brohm is going to be a better pro then Matt Ryan, just watch.

That's not really saying much. There's a lot of QBs coming out, but nobody that really grabs at me as a "Wow I must have that guy." Andre Woodson maybe before his draft stock plummetted, would have been a possible guy like that.

Just curious... How did Woodsons draft stock dropped so badly? I remember him being a mid-1st rounder at one point.

Poor performance in games late in the season, started to show trouble with mechanics, and had an average pro day at best.

Matt Ryan is a huge gamble. He doesn't have the arm to make up for his poor decision making skills. In the NFL, a really strong arm can make up for making those passes into double coverage but Ryan's arm just isn't that strong.

Flacco probably has the strongest arm in the draft so he can make those crazed bullet throws into double coverage work but there are questions about the system he played in and whether or not he'll be a Bledsoe-like statue. He's a project but the arm strength is what every scout is loving about him. He has an NFL arm, without question. Teams feel like they can develop everything about him into something more.

As an Eagles fan... Fuck that. We can get more for Lito Sheppard.

I don't know. I think the value itself is reasonable (moving up 9 spots would probably be similar to a high second) and may be something the Eagles consider if they really want one of the OTs (a likelihood given the latest projections). I would rather have the 2nd rounder though, in this case we'll use the Saints #40 pick as I just don't like what looks to be in the #10 area.

Of course, I would rather keep Lito than do either of those, but I think that ship has sailed.

Speaking of the Eagles, Jets' Dewayne Robertson met with the team in Philly.

God, somebody take him. Please.

Since QB is the sexy position to the media and the general public, a draft devoid of a Joe Montana or Peyton Manning helps knock down the perceived quality of that year's crop of talent.

You do realize Montana was a 3rd round pick (82nd overall), right? I doubt they would have touted him, if this kind of coverage existed back then.

Flacco probably has the strongest arm in the draft so he can make those crazed bullet throws into double coverage work but there are questions about the system he played in and whether or not he'll be a Bledsoe-like statue. He's a project but the arm strength is what every scout is loving about him. He has an NFL arm, without question. Teams feel like they can develop everything about him into something more.

Reminds me of Kyle "He can throw 80 yards on his knees!" Boller... and the worst part was Boller actually played for a Bowl Subdivision team. Flacco didn't.

You do realize Montana was a 3rd round pick (82nd overall), right? I doubt they would have touted him, if this kind of coverage existed back then.

I know Montana dropped and that Phil Simms was Bill Walsh's original choice for the QB to build his offense around.

I just use Montana as a generic example of an all-time great QB.

To be more accurate, I should have used John Elway instead, as he was a high 1st round pick with a lot of hype going into the 1983 draft.

It would have been amusing to see you use John Elway and Peyton Manning in the same line, considering the history there.

Not my fault that the elder Irsay was a drunk who decided it was more important to have Jack Elway's bitter rival as his coach than John Elway as his QB.

Guest Teal-y Dan

The geography isn't crucial in the NFL, where you don't really have road trips to speak of. Putting the Los Angeles Jaguars with the Colts, Titans, and Texans makes as much sense as anything else. You can't put them in the AFC West, because those four teams have been wrangled in rivalries since the AFL.

The best solution to the Los Angeles problem is to move the Rams.

Of course, I would rather keep Lito than do either of those, but I think that ship has sailed.

Although keeping Lito would benefit us, I'm alright with losing him. I'm comfortable with Samuels/Brown as our starting CB's.

Brown had a good year last year, very underappreciated.

RE: the stadium in LA...

"The stadium is a certainty and will be built," Roski said Thursday. "This is the first time that we can say to you: We can do it."

"One thing is for sure, Roski said: It won't be an expansion team."

Unlike past optimistic developers who hoped to bring a stadium to Los Angeles, Roski owns the land and will not rely on public money, said Dave Carter, a consultant for Roski and executive director of the USC Sports Business Institute.

"Absolutely no taxpayer dollars," Roski said.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_8966713?source=most_viewed

This shit is really going to happen.

Boy USC and UCLA are going to be pissed. If a NFL team comes here, they'll have a nice stadium and more competition as it comes to the football fanbase here. I guess I could see the Rams coming back because of their connection to So Cal. The Vikings would a long shot but I think their having a problem replacing the Metrodome because the bridge collapse. It's hard to get tax dollars after that.

Boy USC and UCLA are going to be pissed. If a NFL team comes here, they'll have a nice stadium and more competition as it comes to the football fanbase here. I guess I could see the Rams coming back because of their connection to So Cal. The Vikings would a long shot but I think their having a problem replacing the Metrodome because the bridge collapse. It's hard to get tax dollars after that.

Don't teams in LA have to win to get a lot of support? If the NFL team is shitty and USC is still good then they have nothing to worry about.

This city is so starved for pro football that this team is going to be supported from day 1.

Also, re: winning to support a team here, while the LA Kings have been shit for a LONG time, people have been supporting this team (ridiculously so) until right around now.

The Lakers filled the building during their very short down period...

Even when the Dodgers were bad, they drew a ton of people to the park.

It's a myth. Only in the case of college sports in the LA area are the teams not well supported when they lose. But even in regards to that, I've got a link that'll show you UCLA's attendance... http://www.scribd.com/doc/334171/2006-Nati...Attendance-NCAA

24th best definitely isn't bad now, is it?

Pro sports, everyone will support those teams as best they can. There has never been a reason to support the Clippers, so they don't count. Even though they fill the building when a good team comes to town, still, it doesn't count. Neither do the Anaheim teams. You also have to take into account where the stadium is being built. With the stadium being built in the Inland Empire, people from the outlying areas of the city are going to be able to make it in for an NFL game. The stadium's location is such that it's also favorable for those coming up from Orange County. This is going to be a huge financial success.

The only potential problem is the traffic. For a MNF game, traffic would be ungodly.

Eh, USC and UCLA did fine when the Raiders and Rams were in town and they will thrive when a new team comes into town. If any team were to come to Los Angeles, I rather have the Rams back to be honest because of the history and because of the rivalries. The Jaguars can stay in Jacksonville.

I think the NFL and whatever team comes is going to have a tough time regaining the confidence of the fans. We have been through this so many times with the Coliseum Commission, Hollywood Park in Inglewood, the Rose Bowl and now the proposed City of Industry Stadium only to have the rug pulled away from under us the whole. Plus, there are a number of Raider and Ram holdouts from days of yore, plus a growing Charger fanbase coupled with out of towners that root for other teams, that it would be hard for the new team to gain a foot hold quickly. Also, the team will start having to win quickly to gain fan support round these parts.

On another note, I wish the developers would take a hint from other NFL cities and build the stadium in downtown Los Angeles and stop going to shitty out of the way burbs like Industry.

Edit for 909: I don't think this town or region is as starved for pro football as one might think. Its not going to be so easy to overcome decades long fandom of the two former teams here. Plus, other than those who live close, who wants to (for the people that live in the city and further north) would want to travel to the fuckin Inland Empire to watch an expansion team that nobody really wanted in the first place?

Guest Vitamin X

I agree with Still Fly about the Inland Empire. It may be closer to you King, but you're not exactly THAT close to Los Angeles proper. Inglewood was my favorite location for the new stadium- you have to also consider where people are willing to travel from. The people with the most money are farthest away from Inland Empire for the most part, and those are the ones who are going to be able to afford NFL ticket prices- and they won't want to deal with the horrible traffic and drive that it'll take to get there. A MNF game would be AWFUL.

Most LA-area football fans won't give a shit about a new team, let alone a moved one unless it's their favorite. Everyone there is randomly a fan of another team, like myself who grew up a Packer fan because they were on a lot in the 90's when I got into football, and I liked their history/tradition and players. Like Still Fly said, there's a lot of people who still support the Raiders and Rams and now the Chargers- there doesn't seem like a whole lot of reason to bring in a team right now.

On the other hand, I had been wondering why the Bay Area gets two teams and L.A. gets none. Let the Raiders moving back to L.A. to even things out.

I'll root for the LA team. I'll go to the games, too. Inland Empire isn't so bad if you're only going a couple times a season. Plus, if they actually get the Raiders, holy shit.

I'm just hoping it wasn't a one off season for the Browns (and Anderson) and that they can do some good again this season. NFL certainly think so, so many prime time football games for the Browns this year, after like 3-4 years of NO TV!

Not sure who'll they'll go for in the draft.

Guest Teal-y Dan
I had been wondering why the Bay Area gets two teams and L.A. gets none. Let the Raiders moving back to L.A. to even things out.

Nah, leave the Raiders in Oakland. The Rams are the team that needs to come back to Los Angeles. They were in Los Angeles longer than the Raiders (and before the Dodgers). They're currently stuck in a shitty jerry-built dome in an area that cares much more about baseball than football, with non-local ownership assuming control of the team. This gives you a Los Angeles/Seattle/San Francisco/Arizona division, which probably makes the most sense, and it keeps Los Angeles in the NFC, where it has most of its history.

I don't know of a better relocation candidate. The Bills will end up in Toronto before Los Angeles, the Vikings will probably end up sharing a stadium with the University of Minnesota before ultimately building its own stadium (though this is wasteful and stupid and I'm sure those prudent frugal Norwegians up dere would rather just have both teams use TCF Bank Stadium), and the vibe I get from the Jaguars is that they'd do what the Nashville Predators' fans just did:

"NOOOOOO!!!!!! YOU CAN'T TAKE THE TEAM WE LOVE SO MUCH!!! WE'LL BUY EVERY TICKET YOU HAVE AND MORE!!!!"

(team doesn't move)

(fans stop caring)