TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

Yeah, that's some bullshit. I'm certain his career is over anyway, but what a bunch of shit. People aren't going to stand for this.

In related Falcons news, am I correct in my understanding that Arthur Blank is going to hire a general manager and a coach himself? Fuck the heck? You hire the GM, then the GM hires the coach. That way the organization is on the same page. Hiring both will cause a power struggle right out of the gate. Sometimes I think he makes his life harder.

Yeah, that's some bullshit. I'm certain his career is over anyway, but what a bunch of shit. People aren't going to stand for this.

In related Falcons news, am I correct in my understanding that Arthur Blank is going to hire a general manager and a coach himself? Fuck the heck? You hire the GM, then the GM hires the coach. That way the organization is on the same page. Hiring both will cause a power struggle right out of the gate. Sometimes I think he makes his life harder.

It sounds like Pete Carroll is the front runner for both jobs, which indicates that he learned absolutely nothing from the Bobby Petrino debacle. Arthur Blank seems like a nice enough guy, but all of his misfortune seems to have been brought on by his own poor decisions.

When will they realize that success in the college ranks has little to do with actual coaching ability? The success of most programs falls on their ability to recruit top notch talent. Carroll succeeds because he seems like a cool guy and coaches at one of the most desirable locations in the nation. What does that have to do with X's and O's?

They stood for the guy whose idea it was and killed most of the dogs getting 2 months. His career isn't over. he will sign with somewhere that needs some pub. But it is still hiliarous to me because I imagine his lawyers saying "Mike...you going down here...smoke some weed....I gotta plan...."

As for Blank. I don't know. I thought he was aiming for a GM first, but who knows. Why doesn't he just hire Mike Singletary who for some reason keeps looking for a job with this team and be done with it.

Carroll, if you remember, was a somewhat decent head coach with the Jets and Patriots (even leading the Pats to a playoff berth). Still, its funny that Blank is still going for a college coach after being burned big time by Petrino. To me, Carroll go can to a much better organization that the Falcons anyway. Carroll would be a better fit for a team like the Ravens, who already have top defensive personnel.

If Pete Carroll turned down the Chargers last year, why the hell would he go to Atlanta? Full control or not. I have a feeling that the Falcons will end up with a first time NFL coach like a Singletary or Jim Schwartz.

They stood for the guy whose idea it was and killed most of the dogs getting 2 months. His career isn't over. he will sign with somewhere that needs some pub. But it is still hiliarous to me because I imagine his lawyers saying "Mike...you going down here...smoke some weed....I gotta plan...."

As for Blank. I don't know. I thought he was aiming for a GM first, but who knows. Why doesn't he just hire Mike Singletary who for some reason keeps looking for a job with this team and be done with it.

And who would that be? Purnell Peace got 18 months and Quanis Phillips got 21 months. You better believe Vick's high priced lawyers did their homework on the prison system and came up with the plan for Mike. Mike will play again in 2009 I am sure. With guys like JT O'Sullivan and Andrew Walter being in the league, theres a place for Mike.

Guest LME
I think Gregg Williams will take over as head coach, of course the organization can't come out and say it yet because of the league rule about searching for a new head coach, but Williams was all but promised the position after 2005 when he re-signed as D-coordinator instead of pursuing Head coaching offers he was getting.

Honestly, I have my doubts on how well he'd be able to lead the entire team when times get rough. His personality can sometimes be abrasive to say the least. Also, he's shown signs in the past of being inflexible to the point of folly. However, he's had the chance to observe on a day to day basis one of the greatest 'people person' coaches of all time. Maybe some of that will rub off on him. Also, that ass-whipping his reputation took last year when the Skins' defense set records for futility may have humbled him enough to make him a better head coach. Hopefully he and Saunders can co-exist, especially if he gives Saunders total control of the offense like Coach Gibbs gave him total control of the defense.

We'll see. I'm extremely nervous about the upcoming season. I just don't want to see everything Coach Gibbs built up being wasted, and then having to start over AGAIN. Still, whatever happens we should be once again YOUR NFL OFF SEASON CHAMPZ! That's always fun.

The Ravens might end up desperate enough for a new head coach that they start looking at guys under contract that would require trading draft picks for, and the name thats popping up is Marvin Lewis.

I personally dont think they should go that route unless every other available coach turns them down (which seems to be happening so..)

The Ravens might end up desperate enough for a new head coach that they start looking at guys under contract that would require trading draft picks for, and the name thats popping up is Marvin Lewis.

I personally dont think they should go that route unless every other available coach turns them down (which seems to be happening so..)

Ravens would be a tough job to take cause of the egos on this team. That's one thing that Billick was actually good for in that he knew how to handle that stuff. Just that when it came to actual football he was worthless. Not many guys want to take on the challenge of a team with Lewis, McGahee, Reed, McAlister Suggs, Scott, all those egos. Marvin Lewis has proven on Cincinnati he can't handle those egos which means would be a terrible fit for this team.

We are a team where the inmates run the asylum, this is brought about by the way Billick ran the team for the last 9 years. Nobody wants to come in and tell guys like that they have a new master to worship.

Perhaps they're thinking to bring in Marvin Lewis due to him being a part of the team in the past maybe the players will respect him more than just some other coach.

And who would that be? Purnell Peace got 18 months and Quanis Phillips got 21 months. You better believe Vick's high priced lawyers did their homework on the prison system and came up with the plan for Mike. Mike will play again in 2009 I am sure. With guys like JT O'Sullivan and Andrew Walter being in the league, theres a place for Mike.

Tony Taylor got 2 months. According to all the documents, and his statements. It was his idea, he was an experienced dog fighter, taught the others about dogs, killed the dogs that didn't perform well...pretty much the whole operation until he and Vick had a falling out.

So not only was Vick a fucking dumbass once for agreeing to take part in the whole thing, he then dumbassyly kicked the guy behind the thing out of his house even though he had all this info on him to put him in jail.

So not only was Vick a fucking dumbass once for agreeing to take part in the whole thing, he then dumbassyly kicked the guy behind the thing out of his house even though he had all this info on him to put him in jail.

Some people get up in the morning, eat breakfast and head to work. Vick does dumbass things. What are you going to do?

Pete Carroll is going to tell the Falcons no, in all likelihood. This is not a surprise.

Is anyone surprised?

Does anyone remember those guys in high school that were cool, had lots of friends and were generally well liked but always ended up getting rejected because they went for girls that were out of their league? They never seemed to realize where they were on the food chain. That's Arhtur Blank.

Guest Cock Ring Warehouse
Pete Carroll is going to tell the Falcons no, in all likelihood. This is not a surprise.

As well he should. He already failed once on the big stage (and he's now the answer to a trivia question as the N.E. coach between Parcells and Belichick), and would likely fail once more with the virtually irreparably (nobody is in the NFL, but they're close) broken Falcons. Besides, didn't he hear Brent Musberger's fellatic play-by-play during the Rose Bowl? Apparently, Pete Carroll drives through South Central at 2 in the morning, pulling kids off the streets and getting them spots on his football team or at worst, jobs at Wendy's. He traverses Greater L.A. just spreading magical Life Improvement Dust over everything. He is Pete Carroll, Golden God of the Valley. If I got talked up like that somewhere, I'd never leave.

Speaking of bad hires, I was reading a Jay Glazer article concerning the worst coaching hires of all time. The content isn't important; what is is that Jay Glazer has gone under my radar for possibly years as one really BAD writer. I was talking with Man in Blak the other day, and we agreed that Bill Simmons, though he straddles the fence between "a dickhead with a blog" and legitimate media, is the worst sportswriter in America. I was unaware of the stylings of Jay Glazer.

With Simmons, it's the content that fills you with rage, whether it's the topics themselves (a Patriots blowout being compared to soccer in a Nazi POW camp, America hates Boston sports because<-->thus society has gone down the toilet), his increasingly Mad Lib nature ("I was with my Irish friend in a bar discussing a sporting event 20 years ago which was like stupid '80s pop culture then he puked and it wasn't just any puke it was a degree of puke using an obscure sport figure as an intensifying adjective), or his exponentially increasing flights of fancy into Shit Nobody Cares About (my daughter is cute). Glazer's columns--at least this one--is so poorly executed that I can't believe it was published, even for a sports column, and even for a sports column on the Internet. Look at some of these sentences, at http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7663568?MSNHPHMA , which have either mechanical errors, or affect a breezy voice inappropriate for a column as widely read as this must be:

Doesn't work like that Bobby.

Moral of the story? Stay in college Pete Carroll!

Shell put together one of the worst coaching staffs in history, low-lighted when he asked a bed-n-breakfast owner to come out of retirement and run the Raiders offense. Wow, what a great idea!

obv. eyebrows raised here.

Even more harrowing is the threat of swinging and completely missing. The whiff of the worst proportions.

And there has been no shortage of complete and total failures. Embarrassments. Those who set a franchise back a few years.

I know we've relaxed the rules on sent-frags, but these aren't acceptable to me.

The horrible coaching hire we're alluding to is with the New York Jets. It put the C in calamity and catastrophe. Actually, in comedy too as Belichick jilted Jets ownership at the altar.

You're not really alluding to it, you're referring to it, because you're straight-up saying "BILL BELICHICK: NEW YORK JETS" at the top of the paragraph. It's plain for anyone to see. There's no ambiguity about who hired him, thus no controversy, thus no need for the "wait wait hear me out I meant the jeeeeeets" stunt. As for "putting the C in" words, I guess this kind of makes sense since we're talking about coaches, and "coach" starts with C, but it's not really that necessary nor effective.

The worst moment came when he angrily rode off on his motorcycle one day while his players secretly laughed. It was a sign of times to come for the lowly Lions.

I'm not up on my Lions history, but it's not obvious to me how this was a harbinger of anything. They never won again after they laughed at him? They never respected him again? He got fired? I don't really get it.

Hired for a gig that should have absolutely panned out.

This is w/r/t Denny Green, and yeah, fragment again, but he never cites why it should have panned out, other than a FOXsports.com poll that said "he'll do okay." He assumed control of the Arizona Cardinals. Never say up-front that it "should pan out."

So yeah, Glazer appears to be some meathead who fell into a sweet sportswriting gig, though in over his head. Actually, since I went and did most of the Simmons portion of this post after the Glazer part, I changed my mind. Bill Simmons is still worse than Jay Glazer. Never mind this whole thing.

Never mind this whole thing.

You could have said that at the beginning of the post and saved me a few minutes. Jay Glazer may be an awful writer, but he's got more scoops than Baskin-Robins. Remember when he got ahold of the tape the Patriots had taken of the Jets sideline earlier this season? Glazer just needs an editor.

Redskins players are rallying for Greg Williams to get the Head Coaching job in Washington, stressing continuity and not wanting to start over again with a new scheme on offense/defense. This has lead to speculation that they are just going through the motions with all the interviews.

Personally, I feel Greg Williams should get it since he was all but promised the job once Gibbs retired when he signed a contract extension and stayed in DC when he could have entertained HCing offers from other teams.

Knowing Dan Snyder though, if there is a big splash to be made he might go for it. If he does hire a D-coordinator as a Head Coach and it isn't Williams, you'd think it would be hard to retain Williams as the D-Coordinator, and that is even if the new head coach would want to keep him.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

How about next season in Indy? I think Dungy will be back. He's going to have the same team on the field, the same staff under him, a brand new stadium, the same owner. Why leave a position where you're universally loved?

One player's future I'm nervous about is Marvin Harrison. He's not exactly a young man, and nagging knee injuries are a royal bitch, especially when a #1 receiver relies on the ability to cut on a dime, and accelerate immediately. If he can't do that, he becomes merely the best possession receiver in the galaxy. I'm curious to see where they go in the draft, too. It's going to be rich at RB, so do they grab someone to stable with Addai and take away the possibility of relying on Kenton Keith? He's a fine back to spell your starter, but he doesn't start anywhere in the league. As a fan of the team, that's a really important position to have tremendous depth. I hate to say they should draft defense, since they allowed the fewest points in the league this season, but a QB-killer at linebacker to complement a healthy Mathis/Freeney..yikes.

How about next season in Indy? I think Dungy will be back. He's going to have the same team on the field, the same staff under him, a brand new stadium, the same owner. Why leave a position where you're universally loved?

One player's future I'm nervous about is Marvin Harrison. He's not exactly a young man, and nagging knee injuries are a royal bitch, especially when a #1 receiver relies on the ability to cut on a dime, and accelerate immediately. If he can't do that, he becomes merely the best possession receiver in the galaxy. I'm curious to see where they go in the draft, too. It's going to be rich at RB, so do they grab someone to stable with Addai and take away the possibility of relying on Kenton Keith? He's a fine back to spell your starter, but he doesn't start anywhere in the league. As a fan of the team, that's a really important position to have tremendous depth. I hate to say they should draft defense, since they allowed the fewest points in the league this season, but a QB-killer at linebacker to complement a healthy Mathis/Freeney..yikes.

Like who? Laurinaitis if he comes out?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Don't know if he'd last that long. How good is Dan Conner (is it Connor?)

See, that's the thing. The Colts are such a young team, and a deep team, that they don't really have a horrible pressing need. Do you trade it? Who's out there to go after that they even want. Looks like BPA, to the letter.

Colts don't have a one (traded to take Ugoh last year), so Connor isn't happening.

What about taking a WR if you are the Colts? Is there any reason to assume that Marvin Harrison isn't another Curtis Martin situation at this point? Unless you think Aromashadu is legit, a guy who could come in as the 4th and become the 3 if Harrison is essentially done wouldn't be a bad idea.

Jason Garrett has been offered the head coaching position with the Baltimore Ravens. He may have already accepted, depending on the validity of some sources out there. I wonder how this "offensive genius" will fare in Baltimore.

Never mind this whole thing.

You could have said that at the beginning of the post and saved me a few minutes. Jay Glazer may be an awful writer, but he's got more scoops than Baskin-Robins. Remember when he got ahold of the tape the Patriots had taken of the Jets sideline earlier this season? Glazer just needs an editor.

He lost all my respect when i watched him make up a story between the seasons last year.

In the Falcons final game he made a joke about how he should start a pool on if Vick gets "hurt" if the Falcons are losing big. The start of the next year, he was on the Fox pregame saying how he "heard from sources" that none of the Falcons players liked Vick and they had a pool going on if he woudl get "hurt" if they were losing big.

So basically either the players just happened to do exactly what he joked about the year before or he was his own source on a completely made up story.

After that, I have paid about the same amount of attention to his scoops as I do New York Daily News stories.

Sign Garrett NOW! Unlike BILLICK Garrett is a football guy not a glorified psychologist. We need bring him in and get a real football program started here instead of the hackjob BILLICK put together. If Garrett don't sign here we're in serious trouble but I can see why he wouldn't. Look at the QBs he's gonna have to work with and the offensive line.

I bet he won't come here because of those problems and the locker room being hard to manage with the egos team has built over the years.