TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

Why are the Lions open to trading Roy?

Most likely because he is entering the final year of his rookie contract, and will want a big time WR contract.

Allen just got traded from KC to Minny for this year's 1st (17th overall) and two 3rd rounders (73rd and 82nd).

Don't be surprised if you see KC try to trade down from #5 to get additional picks since they're so depleted everywhere.

I guess the Cardinals turned down a trade offer from Washington for Bolden. Not sure the specifications but I am sure it is was similar to the offer for Chad.

Don't forget Cowboys will get a pick back if Jones fails to be reinstated or doesn't play for any other reasons, and Titans would receive a second pick from the Cowboys if Jones sees significant playing time.

Guest Vitamin X

In that case, I'd imagine Dallas will give him just slightly less than the playing time required to be "significant", which is better for Pacman anyways considering he needs to work himself back into football shape.

Why are the Lions open to trading Roy?

Calvin Johnson is already being paid like a superstar. Paying two WRs star money is a bit curious when the Lions let go starters at RB,DE,SSLB and RT this offseason without having suitable replacements. Lions also already have alright WRs in Furrey and McDonald. Improving the worst defense in the NFL takes draft picks so it would make perfect sense to do a deal now. But, its the Lions.

Falcons should have taken Dorsey, they still would have the worse record probably, and then just taken a better QB next year.

Falcons should have taken Dorsey, they still would have the worse record probably, and then just taken a better QB next year.

Or they should've picked Brian Brohm in the 2nd round...

Some moves made...

Detroit Lions signed back RB Artose Pinner and the Atlanta Falcons hired a guy named David Caldwell as director of college scouting. He was the western regional scout for the Indianapolis Colts.

Seattle also signed DT Larry Triplett.

For the homerism, New England signed DE/LB Vince Redd from Liberty. He measured in at 6'6" and 262 lbs. Ran a 4.54 and 4.63 40 and had a 39.5 vertical.

San Diego Chargers signed OT L.J. Shelton to a 2 year deal.

I'm intrigued by the Patriots addition as they again add speed and some depth at the LB crew although I'm still wondering WTH Detroit is doing... Would anybody fear Brian Calhoun or Artose Pinner if Kevin Smith or Tatum Bell (please...) went down?

For the homerism, New England signed DE/LB Vince Redd from Liberty. He measured in at 6'6" and 262 lbs. Ran a 4.54 and 4.63 40 and had a 39.5 vertical.

Redd was a big recruit to UVA for awhile and set to start at DE his sophomore year, but got bounced from the program for drugs or bad grades, can't remember which. Pretty much all the Virginia washouts either transfer to Liberty or Richmond now, as the head coaches there are Al Groh's former coordinators and the school admission requirements are pretty slack.

Redd's measurables are impressive, but he always seemed out of position in the games I saw him play. Certainly might have improved since then. I think he'd be best off as a 3-4 rush LB in the pros, so New England's probably a good fit if he can stick.

I'm intrigued by the Patriots addition as they again add speed and some depth at the LB crew although I'm still wondering WTH Detroit is doing... Would anybody fear Brian Calhoun or Artose Pinner if Kevin Smith or Tatum Bell (please...) went down?

Actually, most Detroit fans would love to see BOTH Bell and Calhoun gone (Calhoun has basicaly done nothing in his time with the Lions; I'd rather have Bell than Pinner but most fans can't stand him). Pinner is nothing special but his signing pretty much ensures that either Bell or Calhoun is out (remember, they have Aveion Cason as well). Also, they drafted Jerome Felton who should be a great short-yardage option.

So, I did a stupid thing and read TMQ's "article" on the NFL draft, and stumbled across this perfectly sensible nugget of information:

New England: The Pats sent San Diego a third-round choice in order to bank the Bolts' second-rounder in 2009. True, Bill Belichick has banked choices before. But putting an extra high selection on ice for next April might be smart if you knew what was next in Spygate II, and feared another draft-choice forfeiture.

So, he'll fully admit that banking draft picks for the following draft is New England's normal M.O. But this time it's because they're nervous about Spygate II, rather than just doing what they always do at the draft.

And, really, if they were banking picks for next year because they knew that Goodell was going to be taking picks away from them, why wouldn't they be talking to bad teams that would (likely) have higher draft picks? San Diego's 2nd round pick is likely going to be in the high 50s overall. If Belichick & Pioli were really concerned about having to make-up for lost draft picks, wouldn't they want to add one higher than 50-something?

Actually, most Detroit fans would love to see BOTH Bell and Calhoun gone (Calhoun has basicaly done nothing in his time with the Lions; I'd rather have Bell than Pinner but most fans can't stand him). Pinner is nothing special but his signing pretty much ensures that either Bell or Calhoun is out (remember, they have Aveion Cason as well). Also, they drafted Jerome Felton who should be a great short-yardage option.

What's the deal with Calhoun? Wasn't he injured all of last year or something?

Calhoun's been hobbled with knee injuries since he's been in the league. He only played in 4 games last year and 7 the year before. Plus, he hasn't really shown he can be a legit player on offense or special teams when he's played.

Now, son, it's important to remember that diabeetus isn't a death sentence. Hell, I've had the diabeetus for 25 years now and I live as well as I ever did. A little bit of neuropathy in my feet, sure, but after 25 years I haven't got any complaints. I'll tell you what my doctor told me when I was diagnosed with the diabeetus: You have to draw a line on a piece of paper. I don't remember why he told me that. What am I...oh, all right, you have to draw a line on a piece of paper. Get yourself a plus sign on one side of that line and a negative sign on the other side. Now list the things that pertain to your life. If the plusses outweigh the negatives, then it would behoove you to take care of yourself. If there are some good things in the future, you might want to stick around for a while. I understand that you're a ball player. That's one on the plus side right there.

Source: Profootballtalk.com

Marvin Harrison was involved in an argument with the victim at the ironically-named “Playmakers” bar. As the victim left and was walking to his car, Harrison was following. Shots rang out, and the victim was struck in the hand. A young girl was struck by broken glass from a car that had been struck by a bullet.

Ballistic tests showed that the bullets came from a custom-made Belgian gun. Harrison owns one of the guns in question.

Questioned about it at a Philadelphia car wash that he owns, Harrison admitted that he owns such a gun, but that it has never left his home.

Later, the gun was found in a bucket at the car wash. Tests revealed that the gun was the same gun involved in the shooting, and that seven bullets were fired at the time.

Can't say that I saw this one coming.