TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

A few things:

*As Spiff mentioned, two defensive players who will not be on the field at the same time will now have radio communication with the sideline.

*No more force-out rule.

*No more five yard facemask calls. Whether this results in there being less facemask calls or just more 15 yarders remains to be seen.

*The proposal to ban long hair seems to have died.

Also (c/p'd from ESPN.com):

* The "Phil Dawson field goal rule" change passed. Now, certain field goals can be reviewed by instant replay, including kicks that bounce off the uprights. Under the previous system, no field goals could be replayed.

* Coaches can now defer a decision on the opening coin toss. This is similar to the college rule. Previously, the winner of the coin toss could only choose to receive or kick off.

* A direct snap from center that goes backward will now be treated as a fumble. Previously, it was ruled a false start.

The long hair ban was a terrible idea. I like all the other stuff, except for the use of radios in the helmets of defensive players. Not going to work.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Nope. Only the green dot helmets, which spawned a three second "No shit" reminder on all kinds of pre/post/halftime programs.

I think it was only inevitable. Defenses are as intricate with playcalling as offenses are now. It was only a matter of time until the DC could radio the linebacker with some shit.

Yet they still measure yardage with a length of chain and sticks.

So what do we make of this LA Times article that says that Favre's agent was quietly poking his head around the league to see if any teams were interested in trading for Favre? The agent denied the story but the writer is standing by his sources. Apparently Brett hasn't filed his retirement papers yet, but this just a non-story, right?

If he wanted to come back, why look around for different teams? Doesn't he know he'd probably get vilified for leaving Green Bay for anywhere else other than back to his home in Kiln, Mississippi?

Which would be hilarious.

I don't believe the trade part at all, but the thing that gets me about Favre's retirement is that he hasn't turned in the papers yet. That's kinda strange.

Guest Vitamin X

I wouldn't blame Rodgers if he did that. Hell, I think many Packer fans (myself included) would probably be righteously pissed at Favre for doing that too, and then he'd really deserve that Football Clemens title Czech likes to bestow on him so often. Fuck over the future of your franchise for one last shot at glory, when you do the whole holding a sobbing press conference thing?

I don't believe the trade part at all, but the thing that gets me about Favre's retirement is that he hasn't turned in the papers yet. That's kinda strange.

He probably just wants to make sure he wants to be retired when June, July and August rolls around is my guess. And snuffbox, I can think of a few teams that would probably be a lateral, if not better, choice than Green Bay. The problem is those teams would probably not want a 38 year old QB that would come at a hefty price, both in what they'd have to give up in a trade and in the salary they'd have to pay him.

I'm saying that the only teams that would really want him and could maybe hypothetically get him would be the worst teams out there. His agent denied the report so I think its moot.

Guest LME

Yep. So I'm guessing this means yet another lineman will be hurt for the season. I got five on Rabach, since I guarantee we won't have a decent back up for him come training camp. On the bright side, that might also mean that Landry will have a pick six on the first play from scrimmage. Actually, that's not that much of a bright side.

Damn.

Guest Cock Ring Warehouse

He probably just wants to make sure he wants to be retired when June, July and August rolls around is my guess. And snuffbox, I can think of a few teams that would probably be a lateral, if not better, choice than Green Bay. The problem is those teams would probably not want a 38 year old QB that would come at a hefty price, both in what they'd have to give up in a trade and in the salary they'd have to pay him.

• When asked if he would return to football if the Packers called because of team injuries, Favre said:

"It would be hard to pass up, I guess. But three months from now, say that presents itself, I may say, you know what, I'm so glad I made that decision. I'm feel very comfortable in what I'm doing and my decision.

"Yeah, I can probably be up there doing that and playing, but again, I don't know. It's only speculating. I think the world of that team. I had a lot of fun, not only this year, but over my career. Those guys I played with this past year, a lot of young guys, a lot of fun.

"I think of that, when I think of now being retired, I think I won't be in the quarterback/receiver meeting on Thursdays joking around and having fun and game plan and all that stuff together. It was a fun year. That was fun throwing the ball around like we did. There's no reason to think that won't happen again. Aaron has fallen into a great situation. And if that opportunity presented itself and they did call, it would be tempting. And I very well could be enticed to do it."

Bretttttttt. Brettttttttttttttttttt.

Kerry Rhodes resigns with the Jets, 5 years and 34 million.

Also, it appears that Jake Long is negotiating with the Dolphins.

Well Malcom Kelly completely fucked himself over with his workout today. I think he's still not completely healthy because he definitely ran faster than a 4.6 in college. There must be something in the water in Norman because everyone that plays there gets hurt.

Then again AD was good enough to make me not have to worry about draft picks from OU for a while. I was hoping the Eagles would pick Kelly up though so I could sports a sweet Eagles Kelly jersey....doubt that'll happen. Better get ready to get an Eagles Jackson jersey.

Something tells me Roy Williams(the WR, not the shitty safety) will be in an Eagles jersey on draft day. But we still would need DeSean Jackson, for special teams.

Guest Vitamin X

Yes Matt, yes you are. That would be the worst possible thing that could happen to the Packers franchise.

Am I a bad person for hoping Aaron Rodgers tears his ACL in the first week of training camp so Brett will come back for one more year?

As VX said, that would be bad. And who knows? Maybe Brett would just go "Oh well" and get back to mowing his lawn, leaving you with no viable QBs.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Oh that'd be awesome. I want Favre to play for five more seasons.

so, AJ Feeley is healthy. and skinny. I had to go to the NovaCare complex today for a meeting for the mentor program at my college with the director of premium services. t'was awesome.