TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

Questions to be answered by the next person to post in the thread

Yeah I think Nash will get in, though he really needs that run to the Finals and the title to really cement his status.

The irony of those upset picks is that Butler is a team I think can go quite far, since they tend to play much better against major conf. teams than against their own league (who all have them scouted). I'd almost advise them to fall down to a 6 seed or so and avoid a 1, since I think they can play with the 2 and 3 seeds.

As far as Tennessee goes, I think they got over the hump last year in terms of being an early round upset. When they lose it'll be either Sweet 16 or Elite 8.

On a similar note, what are some real dark horses come tourney time?

By a whim because I don't really follow basketball I'll say either Kent State or Clemson is going to go real far in the tourney.

If there was one rule you'd like to change in any sport, what would that be?

Yes to Steve Nash.

Albert Belle to CanadianChris' question.

No-touch icing to Baron's question.

For one time only, you've got the chance to play in an arena/stadium/course of your choice, anywhere in the world, under any circumstance you want(weather, opponent, etc.). Whaddya pick?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'd like to have Muhammad Ali make a complete ass out of me in Madison Square Garden in front of god and everybody if we could talk shit about each other for about 90 days prior to the fight. I'd make a bunch of completely absurd statements that would be remembered in infamy, and have a ball as he cut me up and embarrassed me in the first, only to put me out of my misery in the second.

Good question. Let it ride.

I'd rather be on defense with a game on the line; I'd want to be guarding Kobe Bryant in the final seconds of Game 7 of the Western Conference Finals in ARCO, with the Kings up by 2, needing a stop to win.

I'd also like to go on record as saying Tzar Lysergic's answer wins this question.

Game 7. Wrigley Field. Cubs vs. Yankees, bottom of the 9th. 6-3. Bases loaded. Two outs. 3-2 count. 100 years, gone with one mighty swing.

Yeah. I could die after that moment.

Um...probably Julius Erving. People talk about him like he was a god, despite being a 6'6 player without a three point shot. When you consider that his best years were in a highly offensive league, that being the ABA, things don't really match up with the praise that people give him today. Maybe I'm alone on this.

I mean, there are a lot better players that don't get nearly as much recognition as Dr. J. If he would've played for a team like the Bucks, people wouldn't talk about him the same as they do now.

Also, consider that I didn't want to give some weaksauce answer and wanted to pick a really big name. So there.

Um...probably Julius Erving. People talk about him like he was a god, despite being a 6'6 player without a three point shot. When you consider that his best years were in a highly offensive league, that being the ABA, things don't really match up with the praise that people give him today. Maybe I'm alone on this.

I mean, there are a lot better players that don't get nearly as much recognition as Dr. J. If he would've played for a team like the Bucks, people wouldn't talk about him the same as they do now.

Also, consider that I didn't want to give some weaksauce answer and wanted to pick a really big name. So there.

The three point shot wasn't even introduced until the 1979-80 season. Dr. J had was already half-way done with his career at that point. It wasn't even an important part of the game in that era. It's sort of disingenuous to knock him for lacking a skill that he never needed to cultivate.

Erving only spent three seasons in a league without a three point shot. Even in the ABA, he was not very good at it.

Beaten to it.

The three point shot rule was in effect in the ABA.

But how big of a role did it play? That's a question, I really don't know the answer.

The three point shot was a very minimal part of the NBA game in the eighties. Larry Bird is often considered to be one of the best 3-point shooters ever and he never even cracked 100 made during any one season in his career.

I'm not trying to put King down or discredit him. I just thought that was an odd thing to pick on.

I counted six seasons in Erving's career where he exceeded the league average three-point percentage. Check out basketball-reference.com, you can view league averages for statistical categories by season. In 1982-83, the entire NBA shot .238 from the arc. Three point percentages were at least 50-60 points lower than today.

Let me add this because it is a big point. In 2007-2008, NBA teams have averaged nearly 18 three-point attempts per game. In 1982-83, they attempted a mere 2.25. That's over 15 extra attempts PER GAME.

The three point shot rule was in effect in the ABA.

But how big of a role did it play? That's a question, I really don't know the answer.

From my recollection of reading Loose Balls (Great book about the history of the ABA), it played a big part for some teams and little for others. I agree, it's kind of an odd thing to knock a guy on.

I didn't realize it was that big of a difference. I only mentioned it because I thought it was strange that a 6'6 guy didn't possess much of a jumpshot. That's kind of a foreign concept given the league we have now.

And the fact that Dr. J was only able to dominate in a secondary league kinda bothered me too. I see a lot of people have put him in their top 10 players of all time list, and I don't really understand it.

I didn't realize it was that big of a difference. I only mentioned it because I thought it was strange that a 6'6 guy didn't possess much of a jumpshot. That's kind of a foreign concept given the league we have now.

And the fact that Dr. J was only able to dominate in a secondary league kinda bothered me too. I see a lot of people have put him in their top 10 players of all time list, and I don't really understand it.

He was dominant for a stretch in the NBA as well. He was first team All-NBA five consecutive times in the early 80s, finished top 5 in MVP voting another five times and led one of the best NBA teams of all time to a championship in 1983.

I think you're underestimating his level of play, not to mention the impact he had from a cultural and stylistic side.

I was only speaking in terms of on the court. I generally don't care what athletes do away from their respective sports, to be honest.

He changed the way the game was played, to a point. I don't disagree with that.

He's a little overrated. With Moses Malone on the team in '83, I wouldn't say he led them that year. His numbers are comparable to that of Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, and Paul Pierce, those type of players, and they aren't considered in the greatest of all time like Dr. J is. I know he "paved the way" for them, but that doesn't mean he's far greater than they are, when he only won one title.

Where is the best place to get your sports fix on tv outside of Bristol? I really want to know. NFL Network coverage blows them away, but I need an MLB spot.

Since you live around New York City/New Jersey, I think the YES Network generally provides committed baseball coverage. Regional sport networks are well worth checking out, many have their own half hour news shows with a local tint.

Any other opinions?

Where is the best place to get your sports fix on tv outside of Bristol? I really want to know. NFL Network coverage blows them away, but I need an MLB spot.

Since you live around New York City/New Jersey, I think the YES Network generally provides committed baseball coverage. Regional sport networks are well worth checking out, many have their own half hour news shows with a local tint.

Any other opinions?

I know you're asking about TV, and I don't have any answers outside of ESPN and Fox Sports, really. I get all the stuff I need out of those two. As far as getting sports information, this very forum has been one of my favorite resources. People know their shit and you get cool gimmicks, like this thread. :wub:

I don't care about steroids really. I think that it's part of the culture of trying to find any edge you can get on your opponents or whoever might compete with you for the roster spot, and it's been around for many years. It's not going anywhere, despite what the Congress and sports league commissioners might hope.

Guest Blue Man Czech

You didn't really phrase it as an either/or, but maybe that was your intent. I acknowledge that they're not going anywhere, but that doesn't mean that I don't care about them, or don't want to see them eradicated because of the great harm that they're doing. We shouldn't be complacent with a doping culture that trickles down to 16-year-olds on the junior varsity.