TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

Questions to be answered by the next person to post in the thread

Let us not forget the 1978 Red Sox in all of this. A 14.5 game lead in August, wittled all the way down to a Game #163, at home, for them to blow.

Honorable mention to the 2007 Mets' epic September, which has got to be up there. The '06 Tigers also just missed out on sharing such a distinction, but since they made the Series it was largely forgotten.

I'm not usually sold on season collapses. Usually the "collapsing" team ends up winning 90-100 games anyway, and it takes a hell of an effort from the winning team. Take that '78 Red Sox team for example. They still have the highest winning percentage of any Red Sox team since the playing days of Ted Williams. They went 15-15 in their last 30 games, that's not bad. The Yankees just went 23-8.

My own honorable mention is the 2007 Padres, who twice got within three outs of the playoffs and blew it.

Sparked by the Devil Rays comments. What team winning the division/league (in any sport) was the greatest upset of that kind?

Sparked by the Devil Rays comments. What team winning the division/league (in any sport) was the greatest upset of that kind?

Weren't the '91 Braves very comparable to this year's version of the Rays? Annual bottom-dweller who finally had the pieces of talent come together at the right time?

Considering the Padres was not the runaway favorite to win the division like the Mets... no. Mets probably take it for the 2007 season at the least. (Re: Al's statement)

Considering that the Phillies had a better record than the Mets in every month outside of April, I hardly consider it much of a collapse. Take away the Mets hot start, and they played like a 2nd place team all season.

Guest Michael Myers Resplendent

Let us not forget the '69 Cubs as one of the monumental collapses. Probably the best drought-era team to ever play on the north side--Banks, Santo, Williams, Holtzman--and they just blew it miserably.

Not really a collapse of any great degree, but the 1946 Red Sox were probably the best Boston team of all time and they blew eighth inning leads in games 6 and 7 of the World Series to the Cards.

They also had a losing skid in September that cost them the chance at the 110 wins record set by the '27 Yankees.

Not really a collapse of any great degree, but the 1946 Red Sox were probably the best Boston team of all time and they blew eighth inning leads in games 6 and 7 of the World Series to the Cards.

They also had a losing skid in September that cost them the chance at the 110 wins record set by the '27 Yankees.

They gave up eighth inning runs in both games, but they never led either.

Correct. I should also point out that despite the Cards 98 win season, the Sox were 20-7 favorites in the championship series. Their loss was mostly due to questionable managing decisions down the stretch.

Correct. I should also point out that despite the Cards 98 win season, the Sox were 20-7 favorites in the championship series. Their loss was mostly due to questionable managing decisions down the stretch.

The loss was mostly due to the fact that it's just a seven game series, and those Cardinals were good enough to win four out of five pennants in their own right. Of course, Ted Williams famously hit just .200 and he was playing with an elbow injury.

I'd say the Sox in 1948 and '49 were worse. 1948 saw them lose a playoff game using their third starter, and in 1949 they dropped two in a row to the Yankees to lose the pennant.

The Raptors winning the Atlantic Division was something I'd call a huge upset last season. No one saw it coming.

Did anyone want to win that division? A stocked-up Nets only finished at .500. I'll also rain on the parade of:

Biggest collapse not mentioned: Greg Norman at the 1996 Masters.

Yes in principle, but Faldo's 67 on Sunday at Augusta is criminally overlooked there. 67! On Sunday! Mike Weir shot a 70, bogey-free, in 2003, and Phil's 2004 69 was up-and-down. They're probably the best rounds played by a winner outside of Jack in 86, and I think Faldo's was second best, better than the two mentioned in this millenium. By the way, watching highlights on the Golf Channel of the 06 US Open prompted my question.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
I don't remember Connors as being all that hostile; moreso, for his grunting. So, my answer's McEnroe.

What's the biggest collapse in sports history?

I'm not a tennis fan by any means, but Connors was a fucking psychopath. McEnroe would blow his stack and rant and rave, but Connors had this..I don't know..sadistic bent when he flew off the handle.

For great collapses, in my memory, it's the 18-0 New England Patriots choking in this year's superbowl. 18-0, best offense ever, all the "greatest team ever" hype, favored by 2 touchdowns...ouch.

What's the dirtiest thing you've ever seen in an MLB game?

Regarding Al's question, hasn't the NFC South had a pattern the last 5-6 years of the last place team jumping to first the following season? I'm sure most, if not all, of those instances were shockers.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I think that's more of a case of a weak division than a shocking turn of events.

The Nike one with Ben Roethlisberger, Albert Pujols, LaDainian Tomlinson, Mariano Rivera, Torii Hunter, and Brian Urlacher wearing weird looking masks. And the Book of Dimes with LeBron. Oh, and the Nike Freestyle with Rasheed Wallace, Jason Williams, Lamar Odom, Darius Miles and Vince Carter. The Juelz Santana Nike Air Force one as well.

Much as I dislike him as a player, AwShucks has made some good commercials

"Cut that meat! Cut that meat!"

"Your defense is offensive..."

By the way, my answer was a commercial for McDonald's hockey trading cards a few winters ago. Wayne Gretzky and this kid meet in a dark parking garage, holding briefcases, dressed discreetly. They both look into one anothers cases, trade them, nod, and walk away. The kid quietly gets back into his dad's car, who turns the car and headlights on - which shine on Wayne, causing the father to honk the horn and mark out.

New question to replace my CC hacking; Apart from Peyton, what was your favourite appearance by an athlete (cameo or entire episode) in a television show?