TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Spoiler Tags In

Spoiler Tags in this folder  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should spoiler tags be used after the official release/air date?

• Yes
    • No

I was wondering what the consensus on this issue is. Cloverfield has already been released and half the thread is in black writing. I feel like once it's Friday and it's out - don't read the thread unless you have seen the movie because it's going to be discussed in there. That's the point of the thread, right? To discuss the movie.

Continuing to use that thread as an example, Cowboy's Wednesday opinions SHOULD be spoiler tagged, every set of opinions posted Friday on should NOT be. Who is with me on that?

I attached a handy poll.

For movies, I like spoiler tags for about the first week or so just to get a general opinion. After that, if you're venturing onto page 8 of a thread for a single movie, you'd better expect to have something spoiled. TV shows don't really matter once they've aired.

Yeah, I'd say that spoiler tags should be used for at least a week after a flick has come out.

I think spoiler tags should be used for at least a month for lazy ass people like me who wait for the crowds to thin out a bit before they see a movie.

If you're not seeing a movie for a month and it's not on the first page or replies anymore then you just shouldn't read the thread until after you see the movie.

What's the big deal about using them? It doesn't hurt anyone and just select all. It then looks like the whole thread isn't black anymore.

Guest Smues

We need spoiler tags in the feedback folder? [/sarcasm]

I don't see the problem either using spoiler tags.

Soylent Green is people

The problem is that people are going to seek out opinions of a movie from other viewers before watching it themselves, so the spoiler tags have their purpose.

Well, that's a very good point. I wasn't coming out totally against it... I was just wondering if there was a reason to keep using them when something is already out. And this is a perfect answer.

I think after a movie has been out for a few weeks, we could probably get rid of them for discussion in that thread. You can get into a gray area there, though, if someone brings up the movie in another thread (like CTDWAT or the box office report) where someone wouldn't expect to read details about a certain movie. Personally, though, I try not to go into a thread about a new movie I'm interested in seeing if I haven't seen it yet.

But for TV shows, I'd say it's fair game after it's been aired where the majority of people here would have seen it. Again, same deal as before, as this only applies to a specific thread about that show.

Darth Vader is Luke's father

I don't understand the whole hoopla about it. People would read spoilers to be nosey or they don't want to find out. If they read a spoiler and it ruined the whole experience, well tough shit then.

You can get into a gray area there, though, if someone brings up the movie in another thread (like CTDWAT or the box office report) where someone wouldn't expect to read details about a certain movie. Personally, though, I try not to go into a thread about a new movie I'm interested in seeing if I haven't seen it yet.

That's my issue. If it's a thread about that specific movie, then of course you'd expect some spoilers running around, maybe getting drunk and hooking up and having little spoiler kids. My problem comes when people spoil shit in any OTHER threads, where you're not expecting it. That's where the black-bar rule ought to be enforced.

Guest Smues

Or hit Ctrl-A for the mouse impaired. There's probably a different shortcut for mac users, but who cares about them?

Exactly. If you don't want your experience to be spoiled don't read the thread or certain areas that would contain spoilers.

Snape kills Dumbledore

The chick in The Crying Game is actually a dude

That's all I have to say. I think just not looking at the thread is a good idea. I mean there are so many places where you can hear people's opinions on movies without hearing spoilers. I mean really, are TSMers taste in films and television that great in the first place?

Guest Smues

Al sucks

I try to follow the 2 year rule myself, but I don't see why it's such a problem to use them for a couple of weeks after a movie is released, even in the thread about the movie. If I'm interested in a movie I want to read the thread and see people's opinions without having the filmed spoiled. It isn't hard to highlight the spoilers text as a reader, and it isn't hard to use the spoilers text as a typer.

Rosebud was the name of his sled

I will say that once a movie airs on broadcast tv, it is absolutely fair game. Something like the Godfather shouldn't merit spoiler tags.

Ivan Drago kills Apollo

I'm with Al here. A two year rule sounds like fair game.